Poop Zoomies?

mayabear

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I always know when my cat poops because she runs around the apartment like a crazy kitty. I thought it was just a quirky thing but I recently read it could mean the poop was uncomfortable or even painful. Her poop looks normal.

Are poop zoomies normal? (I plan on asking the vet but curious of real life experiences)

Tobermory

“What greater gift than the love of a cat.”
Staff Member
Purraise
Poop zoomies are very common. And there are a lot of theories about why cats do this. It’s possible that there could be a medical issue. It’s also possible that they’re eager to leave a dirty litter box. Or it could be a carryover instinct from the wild that prompted them to leave quickly to avoid predators attracted by the smell. There’s also a theory that it stimulates the vagus nerve which causes a bit of euphoria.

Mocha tears out of the box at high speed after pooping (although she first covers it very carefully), runs around the living room, and heads for her scratching post. Iris used to zoom but she’s too elderly now. Almost all of my cats have had poop zoomies with no medical issues. :)

Caspers Human

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Casper does it. We call it the "Victory Lap." ;)

There's a good reason for why cats take victory laps.
In the wild, when a cat takes a dump, the smell of its scat can attract predators. The cat runs away after it has finished in order to put as much distance between it and any potential predators as quickly as possible.

It would be a rather undignified end for a cat to be caught by a predator in mid-squat! ;) ;) ;)

Basically, the victory lap is a leftover from the times before cats became domesticated.

Last edited:

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
IndyJones IndyJones not to sidetrack the thread, but you might consider trimming the fur on/around his bum, if that would help. It makes a big difference for my boy.

Sometimes Poppycat's zoomies end with him on the top of the cabinet that's above the refrigerator 😆

Caspers Human

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Casper exits the bathroom at top speed, zooms down the hall, through the living room to the patio door where he climbs half way up the door jamb. He makes a quick turn, runs back down the hall then makes a J-hook and goes up the stairs to the top landing where one of his scratching posts stands.

He spends about a half-minute tearing the hell out of the post then saunters back down the stairs, at leisure, back to the living room.

He'll slowly pace around the room with a look on his face like he's saying, "Another job well done..."

;) ;) ;)

Eurocat

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hi there :))
Apart from the usual regular happy zoomies a 1 year old cat gets - my kitty gets the zoomies after pooping, when I clean her litterbox (she just loves the sound of the shovel on the cat litter ;)) and after she‘s eaten…
So IMO if she’s always done it it‘s totally normal unless the pooping is accompanied by noises of discomfort, or she has problems trying to poop when she tries, or she exhibits behavioural changes and she e.g. starts pooping outside the litterbox…
Enjoy the zoomies and your kitty
All the best!

IndyJones

Adopt don't shop.
Top Cat
Purraise
IndyJones IndyJones not to sidetrack the thread, but you might consider trimming the fur on/around his bum, if that would help. It makes a big difference for my boy.

Sometimes Poppycat's zoomies end with him on the top of the cabinet that's above the refrigerator 😆
It doesn't happen very often and he is short haired. He is also 14 and sometimes he just gets an upset stomach. Usually after eating something unusual such as a spider or a bug.

Sometimes it gets stuck to his nuts or rather whats left of them. He is neutered but they left his nut sack there.