Poop is a light tan color? Is this normal?

Kyaviana

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hello! I just have a quick question, it seems to trivial to bother my vet about

My cat’s poops used to be a normal chocolate brown color. For the past few weeks, his poop has changed to be a light brown/tan but is otherwise healthy looking- firm, log-shaped, no coating. He doesn’t have diarrhea, and is still active with a healthy appetite as he’s always been.

So is the lighter color in poop normal? I’m concerned because I read yellow poop is an indicator of liver or kidney problems- he’s only 9-10 months old.

The only lifestyle change is that I’ve changed his food gradually to Fancy Feast and Instinct from another brand because he stopped eating it.

Thank you so much in advance! I will attach a picture if anyone asks, but it’s poop so.. 😁

mazie

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
With all things being normal with his health and activities, I would not worry. More than likely the change in color is due to the changes in his diet. He doesn't do a BM an excessive number of times per day does he? Just keep an eye on the situation and don't worry.

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi. A lot of times the color is associated with the food. Are any/some of the foods lighter in color? Also, a food change even done gradually, doesn't mean that it won't affect his digestive tract differently and have some bearing on the stool color, even if it doesn't affect the consistency. All other things being fine with him, it is likely a permanent change due to the food, or a temporary one that might go back to his more normal color the longer he is on the new foods.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Kyaviana

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
With all things being normal with his health and activities, I would not worry. More than likely the change in color is due to the changes in his diet. He doesn't do a BM an excessive number of times per day does he? Just keep an eye on the situation and don't worry.
Thank you for the advice, I will! No, he only poops once a day, very rarely twice a day!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Kyaviana

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hi. A lot of times the color is associated with the food. Are any/some of the foods lighter in color? Also, a food change even done gradually, doesn't mean that it won't affect his digestive tract differently and have some bearing on the stool color, even if it doesn't affect the consistency. All other things being fine with him, it is likely a permanent change due to the food, or a temporary one that might go back to his more normal color the longer he is on the new foods.
Thank you for the insight!! No, his previous food was chicken based and the current one is too, so it’s pretty much the same color! This is my first kitty so I’m a bit overly concerned about everything hehe

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Thank you so much in advance! I will attach a picture if anyone asks, but it’s poop so.. 😁

It's a cat forum so pictures of cat poop is fine :poop::lol: Although you may want to put the picture in the post using the "Spoiler" option so anyone who doesn't wish to see poop (or anything gross but still cat related) won't be :barf::barfgreen: Next to the smiley face icon in the post toolbar is three dots with a little down arrow. Click on that and choose the Spoiler option.

Here's the cat poop chart:

It says light colored poop may indicate liver disease but honestly I wouldn't worry that for your cat if he's otherwise healthy and fine. The food change may be the cause of the lighter color poop. Just know what's normal for your cat :agree:

theyremine

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Lol! Changed my cats diet from FF canned and Merrick dry to FF canned and Instinct dry and their poop changed color too! That was almost a year ago when Merrick changed their formula and added more sweet potato and the food went down in protein. Poop never changed back. But I've been reassured it's just the change in diet and they are all very healthy.