Poop Disparities?

war&wisdom

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
How dark is too dark? How light is too light? How thick is too thick?

I have many questions about poop, apparently.

Athena and Ares have distinctive poop, so I know when one or both have used the box, despite being gone most of the day and them sharing absolutely everything.

Athena has very deep brown poops that are thick in diameter. When she was just about 5 months old, right before she was spayed, a vet commented on her exceptionally wide rectum (eep, he used finger width to indicate) and wondered why that was, but he didn't seem overly concerned. We were supposed to follow up with fecal samples, but she had complications from her spay and then they both got coccidia, so that issue was put on the back burner.

Ares has light brown poops that are fairly thin in diameter. He also squeaks/grunts a lot when he eats/grooms himself (so the other end, but I thought I'd mention it). The vet also didn't seem very concerned about this, but he indicated that Ares' digestive track was more like his pinky finger. He doesn't strain when he poops.

Any thoughts? Insights? I'm always wondering if their poops are normal, if I should follow up about Athena's thick, dark poop, if Ares' poop is too light for comfort...but maybe I'm just a helicopter mom?

They both have high-quality wet food for breakfast and dinner and some dry food while I'm at work.

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I think as long as they're passing it with no unusual straining, you're golden. But maybe keep an eye on Athena.

My boy gets a variety of brands, and his changes color depending on what he's eaten. the latest is that the lighter colored gravy in the fancy feast florentine variety is making his poop lighter colored than usual.

I've read, and experienced this as well when he was eating Primal, that with raw some cats have less poop.

Last edited:

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Here's a handy poop chart (yes, one exists :lol:): The Scoop on Poop

I guess it's like people. What's normal for one may not the the same normal for another one. Even cats who eat the exact same food may have different looking but normal for them poop.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

war&wisdom

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Here's a handy poop chart (yes, one exists :lol:): The Scoop on Poop

I guess it's like people. What's normal for one may not the the same normal for another one. Even cats who eat the exact same food may have different looking but normal for them poop.
Thank you for the chart! I've actually looked at it before, but it doesn't really talk about light vs. extremely dark brown poop. It's formed, but it's often on the softer side (started probiotics recently to try to remedy that, and potentially changing food).

I'm somewhat paranoid because Athena's belly has always been pretty big for her size. The vet said she was a bit overweight, but that could be easily fixed because of her age (9ish months at the time). We changed her diet, but her belly is still big. I don't have much financial flexibility, so I can't keep bringing her to the vet if they keep telling me it's probably nothing.

She's also started talking a lot more recently -- meowing at the wall, usually at dots or pieces of dust. She's a lot more active since the food change and the probiotics, but I wonder if the meowing is just her growing up into a more vocal kitty or something else. Ugh. I'm such a worrier, I don't always know when to pursue things further.

She's a witch

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'd think that as long as it's brown, there's no reason to worry.
I know another chart but well, it has pictures so prepare yourself:
https://www.proplanveterinarydiets....016/04/PPPVD-Fecal-Scoring-Chart-EN-FINAL.pdf
But it also doesn't say much about the colour, but it seems - and my experience confirms it - that the softer the poop, the lighter the brown colour is. Probiotics should firm the stool and then maybe the colour will go darker?