Pooing outside litter box?

help!

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Cookie seems to be missing the litterbox a lot today. She poos right outside of it; a couple minutes ago there was even some on the edge of the box, like she was pooing on her way in or out, but mostly got the floor. Any ideas?

mschauer

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My Coco frequently does that. I think it's cuz she insists on standing right in the middle of the box so her butt is at the edge. Sometimes she is too close to the edge and she poops on it or over it. I've been experimenting with a larger box for the last few of days. I think that might do it for me.

How old is Cookie, how long have you had her and how long has she been doing this?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

help!

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
She just started doing this today. She is about a year old and I took her in a little under two weeks ago after she was dumped at about 7 weeks pregnant. I think she is going to go into labor today. Could that have anything to do with it?

sadieandziggy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
hows the labour thing going? Anymore signs yet? I thought she would have had them by now!! My girls not even nesting yet, just crys to go outside all the time but I won't let her.

You should take her to the vet if she hasn't had them within a few days.

help!

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
She lost her mucous plug last night so I am expecting them today. She seems slightly uneasy, but she is eating very well still. I keep going to check on her and she is usually just laying on the floor, although I did find her sitting in the bathroom sink once.

help!

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise

mishirish

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Patience was pooing on the side of and all around the litter box for a week or so before she finally delivered, like she was trying to get to the litter box but couldn't quite make it. She had six kittens and she is a fairly small cat, and her belly didn't get all that big, so I think it was just relieving some pressure. It must have been packed in there! She hasn't missed since, but I'm still keeping paper around, just in case...

help!

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Cookie's problem with the box is a direct result of Giardia. She is on a 3 day treatment and should be over it soon!