Poo issues

Mazer31

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi all,

I've posted about my cat, Truffles, before, when she was having issues with peeing. She doesn't like litter, so I put towels in her litter boxes, and for the most part, that seems to be working.

Previously, she would do a bowel movement about every day and a half. Lately, she's been holding it. At two or three days, I will pick her up and bring her to a towel box in an enclosed room. Once there, she usually hops in and will assume the position right away. But often, she only does a small poo. Then, like 5/10 minutes later, she'll go to another box (or somewhere else) and do another poo there. Sometimes she runs around a bit and leaves a small trail of gifts for me to find.

When she goes in the box, it takes her a little while (a minute or two) to get anything out, but she doesn't seem to be straining or in distress. But I'm wondering if the holding + not being able to get anything out in one go could be a sign of constipation? Is this something I should take her to the vet over?

Thanks!

verna davies

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
How do her stools seem, are they hard? If so it could be constipation. Try adding fibre to her diet such as psyllium, a pinch mixed into her food twice a day. If you have several litter trays, try using different types of things as the litter such as earth, sand, paper. Maybe there will one she prefers and will be more comfortable using.

Margot Lane

Kitten at heart, not a Top Cat
Top Cat
Purraise
I definitely would, if it were my cat….you mentioned in your other post that she is in general an anxious cat & that could be from her life’s previous experiences. (Others in that post wondered what tests she’s already had—- could be so many things). Aside from anything medical she might need, all cats need love, consistency, a healthy diet…all of which sound obvious, but so many of us grapple w/ cats who had a previous life, which might have been the cause of the current behavior. It takes awhile for change and trust and adaptation to happen, for a cat to “know” this person is a forever, loving human (I am sure you are). So there’s that, but the only way to know for sure what’s going on I think is to take her to a vet, and get a work up/history going. Definitely agree w/ Verna, too.

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I'd recommend a vet check, as well. Once you know that there isn't a physical illness causing this, you'll have time to try other things, but making sure she isn't sick should come first, in my book.

danteshuman

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I agree with the vet check. In the meantime try mixing a bit of water (teaspoon or two) into her wet food. You can also try adding a spoonful of unflavored pumpkin into her wet food (& giving your cat a water fountain.)

If it is stress maybe your vet can prescribe a calming medication or recommend a calming supplement (or even something like CBD oil.)