Poll: Cisapride dosing and price

Elvgrengrl

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Bert was just diagnosed with mega colon (I don't know why my old vet didn't pick this up a month ago on Xray). Anyway the new vet wants to put him on Cisapride 3 times a day. I'm okay with this. I'm also waiting for the compounding pharmacy to call with a price. So I'm curious...

1. How many doses a day is your mega colon kitty on?
2. What does this medicine cost you? I understand different regions and doses vary.

I'm so glad I finally found out what was causing his constipation, not great news, but news nonetheless.

catloverfromwayback

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My Daisy has been on it since the sixth of August. She has a 5mg capsule twice a day, and Osmolax (aka Miralax in the US, I think) dissolved in water two hours later - 5/16 of a teaspoon.

It costs me AU $98.50 to get 100 capsules compounded, plus $15 for express post (which is the normal way the pharmacy sends things). And that’s the cheapest price I’ve found. It costs $180 to get it from my vet!

It is a relief to know what’s causing it, isn’t it? Though it doesn’t free us from having to keep tabs on how often they go. :poop:

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Elvgrengrl

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
My Daisy has been on it since the sixth of August. She has a 5mg capsule twice a day, and Osmolax (aka Miralax in the US, I think) dissolved in water two hours later - 5/16 of a teaspoon.

It costs me AU $98.50 to get 100 capsules compounded, plus $15 for express post (which is the normal way the pharmacy sends things). And that’s the cheapest price I’ve found. It costs $180 to get it from my vet!

It is a relief to know what’s causing it, isn’t it? Though it doesn’t free us from having to keep tabs on how often they go. :poop:
Thank you for sharing!! Has it helped Daisy a lot? I'm sure hoping it helps Bert.

catloverfromwayback

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Thank you for sharing!! Has it helped Daisy a lot? I'm sure hoping it helps Bert.
It’s certainly helping so far! She still has long breaks between poos sometimes - she went 45 hours once and right now I’m nervously waiting for her to go again - but overall she’s doing much better than on slippery elm or lactulose (which she hates). So far so good with Cisapride and Osmolax.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Elvgrengrl

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
It’s certainly helping so far! She still has long breaks between poos sometimes - she went 45 hours once and right now I’m nervously waiting for her to go again - but overall she’s doing much better than on slippery elm or lactulose (which she hates). So far so good with Cisapride and Osmolax.
I'm so glad to hear and hope she goes soon. ❤