Plz help found stray cat hurt

danetteg

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi I found a hurt stray kitten about 5 weeks old in the middle of the road struggling to move her back legs looked like she was ran over it was very sad I stopped and got her immediately she was bleeding from the mouth and on top of her eye she has cuts and brusing when I try to make her stand on all fours her back right leg won't stay standing so she flops down she can crawl but that's about it she wasn't eating earlier but then I got her some soft food and water plus milk with an food dropper . She hasn't used the restroom in litter we tried putting her in it but nothing she did have an accident peed on me when we got her. I took her to emergency vet and she said her back leg is broken and it's best to amputate it because surgery would cost thousands . Money is a problem I have two other cats so right now I'm not doing too good with money but I want to help him his name is lucky my question is should I get another opinion on her broken leg because I dont want to amputate her leg I feel so sad for her and do you think her leg could heal I mean she is so young I have pics of her xray . I don't know what to do the vet said she couldn't do a stint because of the way her bones were and couldn't do it I guess since they are so small something like that ANY ADVICE WOULD BE AMAZING
IMG_20210730_231634676.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

movinintime

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
This is hard so very hard. I'm wondering if she has pain meds at least now? Also, can she be kept at a vets til they can reduce her pain and maybe consult another vet? I know amputation is horrible for her but a vet HAS to make a clinical judgment in THE best interest of this poor baby. I will pray for the right thing being done and for God's Hand caring for her and helping with the right decision. I hope other's can asap give better immediate advice. I just hope her pain is being treated asap. She is adorable and I so hope she pulls through this all. I know a GoFundMe may work (takes time though) but are there ANY clinics that can take her or Humane Shelter that can take her in as a emergency medical need? Can anyone help you or lend you some money? This is a critical need and I can't imagine a vet isn't legally mandated to care for an animal in emergent need under the oath of the State Board of Vet Med.

Last edited:
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter

danetteg

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hello movinintime thank you for your kind words I do apprectiate it and praying for him to heal lucky is taking two pain medication Buprenorphine and Gabapentin it has helped he isn't meowing he seems stable and woke up with a lot of energy trying to walk he was going fast so we put him in kennel with a warm blanket so he don't hurt his leg because when he is trying walk his foot looks like it's twisting or bending I don't want him to hurt himself more . But I will take him to a day vet hopefully Monday and get opinions because I don't want him to be in pain at all

movinintime

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
THAN YOU SO VERY MUCH FOR CARING FOR HIM! THERE ARE VERY FEW WHO WOULD CARE THIS MUCH> BUT MANY HERE ARE ABOVE AND BEYOND THE BEST CAT PEOPLE I EVER MET!

terricacatwood

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thank you for caring for this guy. Is there a Humane Society or no-kill shelter near you that you could contact to see if you could surrender him to? You can verify when you speak with them what kind of vet care they will provide to surrendered animals and what there euthanasia policy is for surrendered kittens? Good luck!

fionasmom

Staff Member
Purraise
Thank you for helping this cat. My first thought was that it sounded serious enough that you needed to make sure that there was a good prognosis before proceeding, but now it sounds as if the cat is responding and certainly has a chance for treatment. You have made him safe, warm, and comfortable until you can get more information.

If it goes this way, amputation is often the most expedient solution in these cases and is not the gruesome surgery and outcome that people expect. If there is enough damage to the leg where the bone will not heal properly or there may be follow up procedures because it is not healing, amputation might be the best solution. Animals absolutely adapt to this much more than they would to a painful or partially useful let.

I have a GSD with three legs. He lost one to melanoma 4 years ago and has done fine. There is a support group and website at tripawds.com for help with three legged dogs and cats.

danetteg

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thank you so much he is more alert and eating drinking more with my help I set an appointment for Monday thank you for the info I will definitely look at the website

danetteg

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thank you for caring for this guy. Is there a Humane Society or no-kill shelter near you that you could contact to see if you could surrender him to? You can verify when you speak with them what kind of vet care they will provide to surrendered animals and what there euthanasia policy is for surrendered kittens? Good luck!
I want to first take him to a day time vet and get another opinion I'm really hoping for a miracle some hope that it can be saved I don't want an amputation but I want what's best for him money is tight but I'm really hoping I can afford it if I have too if not I will definitely have to surrender him to a good rescue thank you so much for your input

fionasmom

Staff Member
Purraise
I am not great at reading xrays and don't want to speculate about what will be advised but please let us know what happens. You are so kind to have helped this kitten and he probably can't believe that he is with you and not in the middle of the road where he was injured.

danetteg

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thank you so much I will let everyone know soon I just know everything will be okay my two daughters are helping so much and loving him its amazing how much we all came together and my husband as well ❤

movinintime

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Please folks, send him a donation if u can! I will send what I can very soon. I'm so behind in bills from my 2 rescues & ckd & a ckd/Fiv postive kitty. A vet trip this wk for both of them is going to cost alot. :( But NEEDS be done!

He, LUCKY, NEEDS help asap!

Danette, any news from the vet today?? :)

danetteg

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Please folks, send him a donation if u can! I will send what I can very soon. I'm so behind in bills from my 2 rescues & ckd & a ckd/Fiv postive kitty. A vet trip this wk for both of them is going to cost alot. :( But NEEDS be done!

He, LUCKY, NEEDS help asap!

Danette, any news from the vet today?? :)
I was just updating yes I took lucky he has been in pain more meowing alot and has diarrhea we took him the doctor confirmed that he does need surgery or amputation I told him I don't want amputation but I'm trying to save for surgery he gave me estimate of $3k it's so much but they put a wrap like a cast for him to keep it stable and he needs to continue to rest . And gave me vitamins to take a long with pain medicine . It's hard to save for him when I have to pay the vet and medicine also but I'm trying prayers are amazing thank you

Attachments

IndyJones

Adopt don't shop.
Top Cat
Purraise
Many animals adapt to being tripods quickly and easily. Especially young ones. The younger they are the faster they bounce back.

From what I see on the x-ray her upper leg bone has been snapped clean in half and dislocated from the knee.

Amputation would probably be the most effective way to treat this.

Fixation implants may or may not work it is hard to tell and it is just below where the upper leg meets the thigh. a very small area to work with. For fixation surgery to be successful the goal will be immobilizing the break until it fuses back together which could be hard with a bouncy kitten.

danetteg

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Many animals adapt to being tripods quickly and easily. Especially young ones. The younger they are the faster they bounce back.

From what I see on the x-ray her upper leg bone has been snapped clean in half and dislocated from the knee.

Amputation would probably be the most effective way to treat this.

Fixation implants may or may not work it is hard to tell and it is just below where the upper leg meets the thigh. a very small area to work with. For fixation surgery to be successful the goal will be immobilizing the break until it fuses back together which could be hard with a bouncy kitten.
Thank you for your input its just so hard to agree with amputation seems cruel to a baby kitten but I know its not the doctor said cats do really well with 3 legs more than people know I'm just hoping for healing I been crying alot I just met this poor baby cat 3 days ago and feel just awful someone did this to him and didn't even try to help him I really do appreciate anyone who replies on this post

danetteg

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Lucky is one strong little guy 🐈
20210802_203236.jpg

danetteg

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
He also been having diarrhea and they gave me medicine for that but I can tell he's having a hard time pooping his stomache tightens and meows I looked and I see the poop isn't diarrhea like it's getting soft but some was stuck in his butt (sorry so graphic) but it's getting on his leg and butt ALOT and all over his bandage it's really bad and I cleaning it the best I I but he's meowing so much I don't want to hurt him so I have him in his kennel . Does anyone know any advice what I I do should I go to vet again and let them do it all over it's so hard because that would cost another $45 for bandages and $38 for sedation it's so much when I'm trying to save for his surgery I'm really at lost and so sad I just broke down crying plz help any advice would be so great thanks for taking time to read

Kieka

Snowshoe Servant
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
That's a tough spot but thank you for helping this little one. Depending on how soiled the bandage is you may have to get it changed. If you can clean it off with surface wipes then that sounds like it would be ideal. Moving forward, cover the bandage in saran wrap then a sock (saran wrap just the top third or so). Ideally a sock with grippy end to help give him stability (toddler socks might be perfect). The saran wrap will ensure moisture doesn't get to the bandage while the sock gives you a washable surface you can take off as needed.

As to crying, my boy had a cast and cried when he got poop on it. I've always interpreted as frustration, embarrassment or discomfort. Cats like to be clean and that isn't clean. It has to be some level of emotional distress to have their weird bulky thing and add on not being able to clean it. Just not fun.