Pls Help! I Think My Roommate Is Mistreating My Cat

JulietteTruong

Sassy but sweet calico girl
Alpha Cat
Purraise
hello!
I'm new to thecatsite and I really need some advice/help! I think my roommate is mistreating my cat and I don't know what to do, or how to fully prove that she's at fault. I don't want to say that she is abusing him, because I don't think that she is, but I know she not treating him well. Reasons ahead, please let me know if you have any information or advice besides getting a security camera, I need help! (also so sorry its gonna be long as heck)

Okay so my cat is a very calm boy, I got him in a couple years ago now and he is a giant love bug. I got him from a shelter so I don't know his full kitten-hood background, but he's never shown signs of abuse or mishandling in the past. About 7 or 8 months ago I moved into a new condo with new roommates . Roommate #1 I trust with my life, and most certainly my cat, while Roommate #2 not so much.
Reason 1:
About a month ago roommate #2 was complaining about my cat constantly going into her room and eating her house plants. So we got a squirt bottle for him, as its the only thing I've tried in the past that works for reprimanding him(although I'm already planning to use other methods of training bc apparently direct discipline isn't great for cats). But around this time I was talking with roommate #1 and I moved my hand and my cat flinched from my hand! Like he was expecting to be hit! I've never hit him, and he has never been skittish in this way ever before, I've never seen him flinch in 2+ years of having him ever. And I know roommate #1 would never hit him either. Also he made me stand with him while eating during this time, which he has done before but never without an obvisous reason (ex new dog in home).
Reason 2:
Recently my roommate blamed my cat for clawing up a portion of the carpet in her room. She gathered us around to show us and it was a pretty sizable chunk gone. The thing is I've caught him trapped in her room (the door closed) multiple times before, and the chunk of carpet is right at her door, on the inside of the door only. When I mentioned this she denied aggressively and said "that doesn't make sense because he never goes in here" (and yet he always eats her plants?? hah). To make a long story short I know exactly what day he was trapped and tore up the carpet (bc of how much he ate that night) and he was locked in there for her entire 8 hour shift. She also knows this because she got home before us and obviously would have found him trapped & away from his food and litter box for the entire day. (I hope he pooped in her room)
Reason 3: (this is like a 1/2 reason)
After about a month of moving in I overheard her on the phone with someone bragging about how she has my cat "trained" to come into the kitchen when she's in there because she always gives him human food. This upset me a lot at the time because she obviously knew I didn't like it (he's a bit chunky and I want him to be as healthy as can be). But more so I'm concerned that if she's willing to break that boundary of mine (and be proud of it!) What other boundaries is she willing to cross with no regards to me or my wishes :/

Every time I try to bring something up she denies it or tries to lie her way out of it. I know its not terrible now but I don't know what to do, and I'm scared its going to get worse. If anyone has had similar experiences or has advice please let me know! Thank you :,)
Your roommate sounds psychotic. Get rid of her ASAP. Life is too short to keep that sort of drama around. Next!

Sylvia Jones

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Any updates? I would just like to say I know getting a roommate to move out is a lot easier said than done They could be on the lease and many other situations Would love to know how it’s going We worry