Please Someone Help Me!

Riakouz

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I am very sorry if this is the wrong place to be posting this but I really need help and fast. My fiancé for 7 years now has a really awful step dad.

7 years ago she met him and his orange cat he had for a couple years and to basically skip to now is this cat is extremely attached to both us and especially her. I live with her and her family but we are moving states this upcoming Thursday and we asked him if we could take him and he immediately said “no way”.

But let’s get into why I think she should have him. First and foremost he does nothing with this cat, if this cat walks in front of him he kicks it and tells him to go away and same for the rest of our cats and dogs. The second reason, we take him for walks, out back where he just sits with us and listens perfectly, we play with him all day, refill his food and water and give him treats everyday and so much more. Thirdly we are the ones who got his shots and leash and collar and everything, and when we asked him did he ever get his shots for him he said “yea and I got him microshipped” but the thing was he wasn’t even chipped which makes me believe he never once got his shots for him.

( sorry just going to throw this in here real quick, this man is awful, full on narcissist, he his rude racist and just flat out awful, the things he does to his 5 year old and 10 year old are so messed up and what he does to my fiancé who is 19 and her brother who is 15 is just inhuman.)

Now the final reason even tho there is just so much more is that this cat literally sleeps in our room with us every night, if he’s not in the room already he will go up and meow till we open it. It can be anytime of the night and he will meow and we will wake up and let him in and when he needs out n wakes us up with some head butts and he goes out and does his stuff then comes back n meows and we’re there for him just like how a parent should be(we call him our son cuz to us he is).

This guy sees him nothing but as an object and that it’s his but doesn’t actually care about the cat. We’ve been looking everywhere for answers for this but the only thing we got was from the police that even with all of these situations the cat is still his and if we take him he can call the cops on us. And trust me he will call the cops, because when my fiancé was just 10 years old he called the cops for just arguing with him and another time when he had her mom in the corner and she ran up and accidentally broke his glasses trying to help her mom. This man is pure evil and has no idea on what a kid is or love or anything for that matter. Please can anyone help us with this.

Last edited by a moderator:
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter

Riakouz

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I don't know if there is anything you can do beyond trying to talk with him some more. Keep the veterinary receipts, by the way...
I'm sending you every good thought I own!!
I made that post the very minute we got done talking to him, we pleaded our hearts out and the only thing he said before he went back to him room where he lives at and does nothing was “no way” and basically scoffed. The more we go and talk to him the more devastated my fiancé will become because of this man she has extreme anxiety and throws up just with him being around.

JamesCalifornia

Mr.Mom to a house of cats 😇😼
Top Cat
Purraise
~ If you are moving away I would take the cat. Animal abuse is serious and step-poppa should be made aware of that. Try to place the cat with somebody until you move. ( Cats do run away )
It sounds like you and your fiancée are growing fast. I'm sure you both realize this "man" needs professional help. Hopefully you both can isolate yourselves from him permanently .
Good luck to you and kitty ...:hellocomputer:

m3rma1d

NeoMaxiZoomDweebie
Super Cat
Purraise
Ok, so if it's her step-dad, I'm assuming her mom is there? Any way of getting her to plead your case to her husband?

Rough spot. Despite the care you gave the little fella, he technically doesn't belong to you :/

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
If there are minor children that he mistreats, get CPS on that right away. They are required to investigate all claims and those poor kids need protecting. Even if this report isn't enough to get them removed, every report adds to the evidence against him and maybe the next report will be the one that saves them. Since you're leaving you don't have to worry about repercussions.

Take the cat. If your name is on his rabies certificate, you're the legal owner. He can't prove the cat is his unless he has a rabies certificate. If you want to make it a little easier, you could arrange for the cat to "run away" a week or so before you leave, and board him at the vet's office or something. That might make him less suspicious.

lavishsqualor

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Is your name on the vet receipts? The rabies certificate? Did you actually get him chipped? I gotta tell you that if I were you, I'd take the cat and go.

PM me and tell me what state you're in and I'll look up the applicable law. Regardless, like I said, I think you ought to take the cat with you, plain and simple.

Last edited:

Kieka

Snowshoe Servant
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
That really is a tough spot. I'd agree with the others that finding out what the legal requirements are to prove ownership in your area and see if you can prove it. If you can then you have the legal right to take the cat when you move. However, don't expect to maintain a relationship with him if you go that route. It probably would be for the best, IMO, but since he's not your father that would be your fiance call.

I would also agree about reporting to CPS what is happening with the kids. Having dealt with CPS before, I was a mandated reporter for five years in my job, don't expect drastic results. Their goal is to keep the family whole if possible so they likely will require counseling or check-ins before drastic steps are taken.

Riakouz

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Is your name on the vet receipts? The rabies certificate? Did you actually get him chipped? I gotta tell you that if I were you, I'd take the cat and go.

PM me and tell me what state you're in and I'll look up the applicable law. Regardless, like I said, I think you ought to take the cat with you, plain and simple.
I do not know how to pm as I can not seem to find it but I live in AZ. We have our names on his receipts and everything but we do not have him chipped as we didn’t have enough money for that because we wanted to make sure he got all his vaccinations. But the problem is he knows the day we leave which is thanksgiving day so it’s kinda hard to just leave without being caught.

Riakouz

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
That really is a tough spot. I'd agree with the others that finding out what the legal requirements are to prove ownership in your area and see if you can prove it. If you can then you have the legal right to take the cat when you move. However, don't expect to maintain a relationship with him if you go that route. It probably would be for the best, IMO, but since he's not your father that would be your fiance call.

I would also agree about reporting to CPS what is happening with the kids. Having dealt with CPS before, I was a mandated reporter for five years in my job, don't expect drastic results. Their goal is to keep the family whole if possible so they likely will require counseling or check-ins before drastic steps are taken.
I’m not calling CPS on them as that would ruin the whole family because of how far stuff goes into detail that I really don’t want to blaster out. But as far as maintaining a relationship with him, that bridge already collapsed a long time ago.

Riakouz

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
To everyone. I first want to say thank you all for your time. But we want to take him so bad but when we told the police all of this they just said we would be the ones arrested.

Kieka

Snowshoe Servant
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
To everyone. I first want to say thank you all for your time. But we want to take him so bad but when we told the police all of this they just said we would be the ones arrested.
Police give information based on what you say. If you start with, "it's his cat" and end with "we'd take it". That would be considered theft, because cats are property. But if in accordance with proof of ownership laws in your county you have ownership then the police wouldn't do anything. That's why it is so important to figure out what constitutes proof of ownership in your county.