Please send positive energy, prayers, and thoughts to my cat!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

LizaS33

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Antonio65 Antonio65 There are people fighting to get these drugs more available. In the future, we may have access to it through better channels and with less expense. UC Davis has been doing testing. I am so sorry you lost your kitties to this but hope for the future comes through learning about all of this. You and LizaS33 LizaS33 have contributed to the knowledge that we need. Thank you for that and for giving everything you could to work towards life. My heart is with you both.
Your comments to Antonio are absolutely spot on. We are truly pioneers, and this is the wild west in a sense. We are the ones that have to apply a huge amount of tenacity and commitment - mentally, financially, and emotionally, to venture forth in this treatment plan. Furthermore, we have to go many extra few miles to i.a. convince the veterinary professionals of our intent, source the medication, and actually apply the treatment! We are documenting and sharing our own case studies, 'crowd-sourcing' and 'crowd-learning' in a sense all of the various experiences.

I can only hope that in a few years' time, treatment for FIP will be entirely commonplace, completely acceptable as a normal veterinary practice, and seen as a normal treatment course with a high cure rate.

Antonio65

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
In my country, we are allowed to legally obtain Remdesivir, as long as there is a veterinary prescription and a permit in place. The permit is tricky - a veterinarian has to apply to our government for this Section 21 permit, which allows the use of medication for off-label purposes.
Over here the GS medication is not authorized, and the medicine can only be bought on the black (or grey, depending on how one is used to say) market.
This is the reason why the vet put me through that group of people that were able to get hold of the medicine through unofficial channels.
When we got hold of the medicine, the vet was not allowed to keep it in their practice because in the case of a check by the authorities, the practice could be closed.
So the medicine was kept in a fridge at the local shelter, where the poor kitty was, and the vet was coming every day to do the injection.
We were moving illegally, but it was for the sake of the cat.
This was my first experience with this drug.

Did your kitty that relapsed have the wet or dry form of FIP? Were there any neurological issues?
Since we saw no bloated belly, we knew it was a dry FIP. The cat, actually had some neurological issues when he relapsed.
He didn't respond to the new treatment. He was 16 months old.

Last edited:
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter

LizaS33

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
FIP warriors here are struggling and your story may help.
That is very interesting... do you know why they are struggling? Is it with the efficacy of treatment? Or financial issues?

I have been following the survivor page on zenbycat.org, and the felines on there appear to have an overwhelmingly positive reaction to the GS treatment... for the most part, it appears to me that the ones who crossed the rainbow bridge were very advanced in the disease, had advanced dry /neurological symptoms, or their human parents couldn't obtain medication in time. I am worried now and hope that my summation of the efficacy of this treatment is accurate... 😟

Jcatbird

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I did not mean to make you worry about your kitty! So sorry!!! The struggles are by the hoomans who cannot get the meds. The FDA has not cleared things for the drugs yet. Testing must be done for approvals. That means the medicine is only given on trials here for now. Reportedly, there are some other avenues but there is no widespread availability. You can find these stories online through some news reports and other places. Trials can take a long time. Hopefully, allowances will be made and soon! It wouldn’t be the first time medications were allowed “off label.” Options would be great and save many lives. Prices could come down too. I hope for all who need this, must purchase this and all who must wait. Take heart! The drug has had a great success rate.