Please recommend an easy to clean water fountain.

Frank123

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I currently have a PetSafe Drinkwell water fountain for my cats. I've had it for about 5 years and feel it's time for a change. What I don't like about my current fountain is that it's a hassle to clean. Requiring it to be taken apart with various parts needing cleaning. I'm looking for one that's much easier to clean, preferably a stainless steel one.
Thank you.

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi, there's a non-electric one that's by Cheerble Kittyspring, and an electric one by Drinkwell. Both are easier to dismantle and clean in my experience (I've had the one you're currently using).

Meowmee

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I currently have a PetSafe Drinkwell water fountain for my cats. I've had it for about 5 years and feel it's time for a change. What I don't like about my current fountain is that it's a hassle to clean. Requiring it to be taken apart with various parts needing cleaning. I'm looking for one that's much easier to clean, preferably a stainless steel one.
Thank you.
I have the pets safe drink well pagoda which is ceramic. I don’t use it anymore after Sybil went to the bridge. I discovered it was much easier to keep clean if I did not use any filters. But I still had to take it apart and clean it every once in a while which I did with boiling water and vinegar. The plastic ones I tried in the past were terrible so I threw them out they got moldy. I did have a stainless steel one which was not very good but I don’t remember which brand now.

catloverfromwayback

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I have the pets safe drink well pagoda which is ceramic. I don’t use it anymore after Sybil went to the bridge. I discovered it was much easier to keep clean if I did not use any filters. But I still had to take it apart and clean it every once in a while which I did with boiling water and vinegar. The plastic ones I tried in the past were terrible so I threw them out they got moldy. I did have a stainless steel one which was not very good but I don’t remember which brand now.
That’s interesting, I have the Pagoda too, and was wondering yesterday if the filters are really necessary. The girls are equally happy to drink tap water out of a bowl, so it can’t make much difference to the flavour of the water. It’s not the cleaning so much, though that is a pain, as the cost. Replacing those filters costs $56 minimum every time. I might not bother after the current ones are used.

Meowmee

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
That’s interesting, I have the Pagoda too, and was wondering yesterday if the filters are really necessary. The girls are equally happy to drink tap water out of a bowl, so it can’t make much difference to the flavour of the water. It’s not the cleaning so much, though that is a pain, as the cost. Replacing those filters costs $56 minimum every time. I might not bother after the current ones are used.
My fountain got much dirtier very fast with them and it blocked the flow of water. I contacted Petsafe I guess…I think they replaced something for me, and they gave me a new filters etc. But eventually I just stopped using them.

cmshap

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I think fountains depend heavily on where you live and the type of tap water you get.

I tried multiple fountains for a while, and they got heavily clogged with minerals fast (I live in an apartment building in the main downtown area of Milwaukee, Wisconsin). I bought three different fountains, but ultimately went back to standard bowls of tap water that I wash and refill twice a day.

My cat has been drinking straight tap water for 6-7 years and is healthy.

I know that doesn't really answer the original question, but fountains may not be the solution in every case.

Sadiemom

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I have the electric drinkwell seaside stainless steal. I don’t think it’s great because the cats prefer to drink out of a bowl instead. It maybe the water doesnot taste the same am not sure why.

catloverfromwayback

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I think fountains depend heavily on where you live and the type of tap water you get.

I tried multiple fountains for a while, and they got heavily clogged with minerals fast (I live in an apartment building in the main downtown area of Milwaukee, Wisconsin). I bought three different fountains, but ultimately went back to standard bowls of tap water that I wash and refill twice a day.

My cat has been drinking straight tap water for 6-7 years and is healthy.

I know that doesn't really answer the original question, but fountains may not be the solution in every case.
Yes, we have good quality soft water here, it doesn’t cause mineral buildup in the fountain.