Please recommend a puzzle-feeder for a declawed cat

cmshap

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I have one of these "Trixie Activity Fun Boards" which my cat Willy enjoys hunting for kibble pieces on as a treat...

Screenshot_20230329-195921_Amazon Shopping.jpg

But he has been declawed his whole life, and he struggles with using some components of this board. He can get food out of the wavy-grooves and parts of the pegged area of the board, but that's it. He really tries to scoop food out of those clear cups on the left, and his foot easily fits inside of them, but I think lacking the ends of his digits makes it harder for him to scoop the food up.

I'm just wondering if there's a better option than this. He doesn't have a ton of patience for it. He seems to enjoy it for a little while, but gets frustrated, I think. He is extremely food-motivated, but leaves food on it and walks away.

maggie101

3 cats
Top Cat
Purraise
I have a declawed cat and that exact same trixie puzzle. She likes the tunnel and the ripples because she can slide her claws through. She would leave some food because she doesn't know it's there since cats vision is poor or she doesn't smell it. It's probably the best puzzle for her or make some dyi puzzles with socks,toilet paper rolls,etc with food inside for him to bat around

Last edited:

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter

cmshap

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I have a declawed cat and that exact same trixie puzzle.
Willy seems to lose interest in it quickly, which I was initially thinking might be due to frustration (he can't get food out of the clear cups or out of the tunnel part). But it's probably also boredom.

Every cat owner knows to rotate toys, because cats get bored of the same thing over and over. That may be a reason for his short attention span with the Trixie feeder board. Maybe I need two different ones and should swap every few days.

Maybe the Catit Senses 2.0 Digger Interactive Cat Toy.
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B015P13QMM/?tag=thecatsite

You could also make your own version, like I did for my Ruby.
Thanks for the recommendations. I like the idea of making my own. I can experiment with cup sizes, using empty containers from various things, and figure out exactly what works best for him.

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Maybe the Catit Senses 2.0 Digger Interactive Cat Toy.
Under the Amazon Q&A's. someone asked if it would work with a declawed cat, and most of the replies said yes
Amazon.com: Customer Questions & Answers

View attachment 446734

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B015P13QMM/?tag=thecatsite

You could also make your own version, like I did for my Ruby. And since the opening are bigger, it might be easier for your cat dig out the kibble pieces.

View attachment 446735
Are those K-cups? How clever!

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I like the idea of making my own. I can experiment with cup sizes, using empty containers from various things, and figure out exactly what works best for him.
Making your own so you can experiment with cup sizes would probably work well for Willy. I find the cups that aren't so deep, Ruby can stick her face in and get them. The deeper ones, she needs to use her paw to get them out.

If you create something, take a pic to show us.

Are those K-cups? How clever!
It's a mix of yogurt, applesauce and hummus cups. K-cups would totally work too.

The box was the tray from cat food cans, and it's covered with duck tape.

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
OH! And you can take ten toilet paper cores and hot glue or super glue them into a pyramid, tape a cardboard backing onto it, and toss food in there for little paws to scrape out! They wear out fairly easily (covering them in contact paper helps a lot), but there will ALWAYS be more toilet paper rolls!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

cmshap

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
OH! And you can take ten toilet paper cores and hot glue or super glue them into a pyramid, tape a cardboard backing onto it, and toss food in there for little paws to scrape out! They wear out fairly easily (covering them in contact paper helps a lot), but there will ALWAYS be more toilet paper rolls!
I like this idea! I actually save some of my TP roll tubes already because Willy likes to play with them. I cut them in half and toss them on the floor, and he bats them around.