Please Please Guide Me! Help!

samyoz

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Hi,
I had to give away a kitten, just because I couldn't introduce her properly to my resident cat and to me,
and I got this another kitty, he is so young, and my resident cat is six months old.
it's been only 3 days now, and they've seen each other only through a tiny slit that they can't touch each other through it, and I've been replacing them with each every 24 hrs to make them get used to each other's smell,
from now on, how should I introduce them so they can be ultimately best buds? I know that takes time, but at least my resident cat won't bully the young one 24/7 as he did to the last female I had to give away.

and about me,
I see where I went wrong with the one I had to give away, I did too much too soon,
I pet her, I made her sleep in my lap, and I couldn't be patient,
I won't do that again, but how should I bond with him? he is so young and too attached to me, he'd follow me everywhere, he doesn't love when I pet him, probably 'cause he wanna play all the time,

thank you,

danteshuman

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
How can you give a kitten to much attention? Or play with them to much?!?

I would let your resident cat sleep with you until the kitten is older & integrated.
For now if it was me I would let my cat see the kitten after a few days (assuming the kitten is 8-12 weeks old.) Cats tend to give kittens more leeway. So I would try seeing how your cat responds to the kitten with supervision. I wouldn't let the cat get close enough to claw at the kitten for a few days. If your cat is aggressive to other cats then I would not let your cat see the kitten.
I would lock your cat up in the kitten room & let the kitten have run of the house a couple of hours every day (use a crate if need be.) If the kitten is older than 4 months I would let the kitten have the house 12 hours a day. I would do that for 2-4 weeks (and feed your resident cat by the door & if you can the kitten by the door.) Then after weeks to a couple of months you can try a nose to nose meeting (through a baby gate, crack of a door.) A lot of it depends on how aggressive your cat is to how long it will take.

Some cats see a wee kitten (8-12 weeks) and want to kill it. Other cats adopt the kitten. Most cats tolerate the kitten and teach said troublemaker manners... in a "Look kid you can stay here but I'm the boss!" kind of attitude.