Please Need Support

muffinz55

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Good morning,

I am taking my beloved 12 year old Lady to the vet for one last test but in my heart know she is getting ready to say goodbye.

A few weeks ago she stopped eating most of her food and isolating herself more. Also missing the litter box and seems to be in pain sometimes based on how her meowing has changed. Almost overnight it seemed two lumps appeared on her neck. The vet took a sample and saw cancer cells. There is a slim chance that if it is isolated they can remove the lymph node but I suspect it has already spread. The x ray today will tell us for sure. Then we will not proceed with chemo...we do not want to see her suffer any more than she has. We are pampering her and making her as comfy as possible.

I adopted her three years ago when she was nine. It was instant love and cuddles.

I cannot stop crying. How do you cope to get through the day when you have to go to work?

She is literally one of my best friends. She is my baby and my joy. We are going through legal issues and she has gotten me through tough days. I just wish she wasn't being taken from me now during this difficult time. But her body is just simply turning off.

Please support

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I know how hard it is to be at work and not cry every second you are there. I did cry,when I lost my little girl, in the restroom, when I was alone. You can't help it, you love that sweet little girl and your heart is breaking. I'm bringing my almost seventeen year old boy in to the vet tomorrow, he has an abscessed tooth. He has a bad heart and is frail, who knows? But you and I can't let them suffer. We don't ever want to do what we might have to do, but above all else, there can be no suffering. I agree with no chemo, there is maybe a little gained time, but not much, and is it worth the stress and pain? Her body is failing, she is telling you she is ready to go. It breaks the heart, and it tears your soul apart, but there is only so much you can do, just love her now. Let her know how much you loved having her in your life, and having her is one of your greatest joys. She is bonded to you, and that is spiritual, so will be forever. She will never be far, her new path will follow yours until one day it crosses again. She means so much to you that not knowing her at all would be unthinkable, what she has brought to your life is priceless. Remember she would never want you to be so sad because of her. Try to go on with your life as she would want for you to do, you would the same for her if you were the first to go. None of us are guaranteed tomorrow, love as if this is your last day, it very well may be. We are truly blessed to have more. I'll pray for you both, you are not alone. Please know we are here for you if you need us, we are one big family drawn together through our love for these precious little ones. Take care......

londoncatlover

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
It's really hard. Fortunately, I was able to take the day off the next day, and then had pre-planned holiday, but I don't know how I'd have managed otherwise. You just have to hope you have a sympathetic boss, otherwise just grin and bear it. I found the best way (for me) was to listen to some happy music or a podcast that I had to listen to and think about before going in and force the sadness to a different part of my brain for as long as possible, and hope that it got me through the day.

les26

Sylvester's daddy
Top Cat
Purraise
Somehow, someway, you just seem to muster the strength to get through the day, and take it day by day, very slowly. At times it is overwhelming, but you just takes some slow deep breaths and carry on, your kitty would want you to do that, but it is so so hard.....

So sorry to hear of this sadness, God Bless.....:alright:

MegAH2

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I am so sorry for you and your loved kitty, my thoughts are with you! : (

meelasmom

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I think we all remember that pain, worry and fear all too well. We know what you are going through and are here for you. I wish I had found this board when Meela first got sick. I could have used it for someone to talk to and help me deal with what I did. Maybe then my story might have been different.

catsknowme

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
:alright: Condolences during this difficult time. A practical suggestion from my father's people is to keep a "worry stone" aka "thumb rock/stone" in your pocket and rub it between your thumb and index finger. Typically, it is given to you as a gift either from someone else or the Other Side or Earth. You might even find your stone in the parking lot or along the path to an office! This gift will be there for you to rub discreetly whenever you feel any unwanted emotion and helps you keep your dignity as well as give you comfort, courage, etc. Remember: all gifts come in love! And we at TCS are all here for you - feel free to post publically or Private Message any one of us.Your TCS family is also a gift :grouphug2:

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

muffinz55

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thank you all for the kind words. Lady will cross the rainbow bridge next week.

Do you believe that she would want me to care for another homeless kitty cat, when the time is right of course? I would like to think that, and would like to honor her by doing so.

les26

Sylvester's daddy
Top Cat
Purraise

Do you believe that she would want me to care for another homeless kitty cat, when the time is right of course? I would like to think that, and would like to honor her by doing so.
First I am sorry to hear that the time is near, but if she is not in good health it is the last, more beautiful act of love that you can show her, she has been a great cat and will be relieved to be out of her pain and body, as hard as that will be on you. We are all here for you and know what you are going through, prayers sent your way and also for her, but she will be fine in her next life, no more problems....

When the time is right YES she would want you to help out another kitty in need, I am 100% certain of that! You have too much love to give not to....you will know when the time is right, when you will be ready, but she certainly would love that to happen.

God Bless....:alright:

surya

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm sorry. Try to distract yourself with work. If it is impossible to focus, then you need to take a mental health day and tell your boss you are sick. You have to cut yourself some slack. The grief seems unbearable but you will make it through this time. ::HUGS::

catsknowme

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yes, Lady will definitely want that - cats are practical and would not want to go to waste all that you have given to her. Les26 is right - you have so much love to give. Prayers and thoughts during this difficult time.

Jason607

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise

First of all let me express just how sad I was hearing of your beautiful baby Lady having to leave you next week. We had to make that heartbreaking decision for our Mew Mew last month and it was not an easy time. I don't think you can work efficiently when your going through losing the equivalent of your child/family member. My wife and I both took 4 days off from work because we would not be able to function otherwise. So you may want to consider that option.

As for adopting another cat; I think you should absolutely do it when your ready. Your Lady would be happy knowing that an amazing pet parent such as yourself is giving love and attention to another poor cat who would otherwise probably end up dead. We just adopted 3 kittens who were born on the streets. I can think of no better way to honor the memory of our beloved pets.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

muffinz55

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Lady had an emergency and we had to take her in today instead of Tuesday to put her to rest. So incredibly heart broken. She has cancer throughout her body and today her retina also detached. One moment I feel at peace with knowing she's no longer in pain and the next my heart literally feels torn apart and I'm bawling like a baby. I go upstairs and it smells like her. How will I get past this loss. I miss my sweetie so much and will always love her.

ginny

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm so sorry! Bless her and you too. That first day is just awful, no two ways about it. It's been almost 2 yrs for Gracie on the 23rd but I still remember feeling that first day feeling so lost and numb and surreal, bursting into tears frequently. I'm so sorry! Sending you hugs, if that helps at all. She will always be in your heart!

Boris Diamond

Cat Valet
Top Cat
Purraise
I am so sorry for your loss. It is so hard to lose a best friend who depends on you like a pet does. I lost my best bud May of last year. It took a year before I could think of that cat without tearing up. But as time passed, I was able to think of him and all the truly wonderful things about him instead of the pain of losing him. Know that the further you get from this experience, the easier it will be to think about her and all the things she was to you without the pain you are feeling now. Also know that there are many on this website who know what you are going through. Come back for a group hug anytime! :grouphug2:

les26

Sylvester's daddy
Top Cat
Purraise
So sorry for the loss, please try to hang in there and stay on this site, MANY wonderful people who know exactly what you are going through right now. It will take time and like ginny said the first day is awful, I remember when we put Simon down waking up after a few hours sleep feeling like I was suffocating, it was May 15th 3 years ago and we didn't have the air conditioner in yet upstairs in our Cape Cod house so it was so warm but the stress of knowing what we just did hours earlier really got to me, I remember going outside at 2 in the morning but it was so humid out there too but it was the stress of the situation too....and for weeks I could not be in the dark alone, like a little scared kid, I couldn't stand being in the dark bedroom or in enclosed places like the shower, I couldn't stand it but I did it and pressed on and realized for some reason that is how the grief was affecting me, and with time it slowly faded, but it is horrible, I felt like I was going to die and at the time almost didn't care if I did, but it does lessen with time....

I hope that you can deal with this and may your heart heal a bit each day....I'm going right now to hug my little Angel boy Sylvester and tell him this is for you and Lady....God Bless....:alright: