Please Identify Breed

TamaraAdiga

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise

Hi everyone,
I would like to buy a cat and I want a Ragdoll, and in Jordan where I live Ragdolls are really rare. So I came a cross this one and the breeder says it's a purebred Ragdoll.(we have no paperwork for that in Jordan and it's locally bred)
To all of you dear breeders and breeding experts, is this a ragdoll at all? How can I make sure? Do you think it's a moggie? If really it is half a Ragdoll half something else, what do you think is this something else? As I think it may affect its personality. And will she still have the sweet quiet puppy-like characters of a Ragdoll if it were a moggie? What are the chances?

Too many questions I know, but I really reeeally can use answers to them all. I'm at loss.

Much appreciated. ☺

1CatOverTheLine

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
T TamaraAdiga - A photograph won't tell the tale, but from here, this sweet kitten appears a bit too brachycephalic and a bit too short-legged for most Ragdolls, and I'd expect that if it is, indeed, a purebred kitten of any breed, that it's a Colourpoint Persian (i.e. Himalayan). Strictly a personal opinion. mind you.

abyeb

Charlie's Purrson
Veteran
Purraise
I agree with 1CatOverTheLine. Possible Himalayan influence, due to her flat muzzle and colorpoint pattern, was my thought as well.

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Agree. That said. The kitten is still very young and can develop into another posture.

And yes the kitten could easily be such a one non standard ragdoll,
As you describe.
No quarantees given but a fair bet along the local customs and possibilities.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

TamaraAdiga

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thank you guys for your replies. More thoughts are very welcome and needed.

Here is another photo of her. She's 55 days old.
Please would you mind telling me the possibilities of its breed? I need to know if she had ragdoll in it for sure. And if it is half ragdoll half himalayan, what do you think of the outcome personality? Will I have the extreme docile quietness of a ragdoll, if she has ragdoll in it at all (which I hope you'll help me decide).

Much appreciated.

TamaraAdiga

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
And here is a photo of her brother. What can you tell from her brother?
Knowing I'm fine with a moggy ragdoll but not something that has no ragdoll in its genes at all.
Your best guesses?

lutece

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Can you get pictures of the parents? This would show us more than pictures of the kittens.

Also, if you are mostly interested in temperament, I would recommend visiting the breeder and meeting the parents of the kitten.

TamaraAdiga

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
The breeder sent me photos but I'm afraid I wouldn't count on that really, and even if I did see the parents. Ragdolls are really rare where I live so he's almost my only chance for a Ragdoll or else I would have to have one shipped from abroad, which would cost me a fortune.

Here are photos of the parents:

One of these two is the mom

And this is the dad he says:

What do you think?

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Dad is probably crossed with the persian himalayan, as earlier said. Kittens took after daddy.

TamaraAdiga

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Dad is probably crossed with the persian himalayan, as earlier said. Kittens took after daddy.
Thank you.
Okay, so supposing the daddy is mix Ragdoll /Himalayan and their mommy is purebred Ragdoll, what are my chances with the baby's personality? (Regardless of the looks). If you were in my shoes and so into getting a ragdoll, would you take it as a safe bit?

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Persians / himalayans arent so much different from ragdolls in overall personality, so it shouldnt matter much. Both are calm, rather docile.

Also, in the end calculus its the individual whom is most important.
Is it a good milieu they are breed in? Is momma a good momma? Is the dad a friendly cat?

But if a purebred ragdoll is important for, you, I would look further on.
Of course, living where you live its not easy.
And buying from abroads is always some game.

If you want a sure thing, take an adult, perhaps even a stray, where you KNOW how the cat is. Ex homeless make often the best pets, because they know to be grateful.

TamaraAdiga

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Persians / himalayans arent so much different from ragdolls in overall personality, so it shouldnt matter much. Both are calm, rather docile.

Also, in the end calculus its the individual whom is most important.
Is it a good milieu they are breed in? Is momma a good momma? Is the dad a friendly cat?

But if a purebred ragdoll is important for, you, I would look further on.
Of course, living where you live its not easy.
And buying from abroads is always some game.

If you want a sure thing, take an adult, perhaps even a stray, where you KNOW how the cat is. Ex homeless make often the best pets, because they know to be grateful.
Thanks a lot, Stefan.
And thanks everyone for chipping in.
I have a nother baby supposedly a ragdoll kitten I'll need to ask for identification. I will post it in a new thread. Looking forward to hearing from you all.