Please i need help!

Rebeca

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
today my cat gave birth to two kittens earlier than expected. they were really cold when i found them. one of them still has that membrane on it and the other's tummy was bleeding a bit. they both were purple-ish (still are), have wrinkled skin and a little to no hair.
the mother ignores them but she let's them stay next to her so they can warm up. this her third litter, i was surprised that she doesn't really accept them because she took care of other two kittens before.
i tried to feed one of the kittens but it came out of it's nose. both of them can meow and crawl but it's very little.
the mother didn't sniff or lick, and at first she would move away from them.
i'm not sure but i think she doesn't have milk, but i'm 100% sure she didn't give birth to all of them.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Rebeca

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
20200917_213457.jpg

these are the kittens. neither of them has their umbilical cord. to be honest i am very scared to do something to them because i don't trust myself with the outcome.

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Oh dear! They are most likely premature and won’t make it, and that is probably why the mother is ignoring them. Do they have fur? How long ago were they born?

You can warm them up by placing them on a heating pad set on low under a towel, or putting a hot water bottle wrapped in a blanket nearby. Kittens cannot be fed when they are cold. They must be warm to eat, and then it would be tiny drop by tiny drop in the side of the mouth, letting them swallow in between.

If they are preemies, they might need a feeding tube. This is best done by a vet. A vet can give you a prognosis and try to give them a chance, or humanely euthanize them for you, rather than let them die by starvation. Euthanasia might be the best option, sadly.

Did the mom pass the placentas?

Rebeca

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Oh dear! They are most likely premature and won’t make it, and that is probably why the mother is ignoring them. Do they have fur? How long ago were they born?

You can warm them up by placing them on a heating pad set on low under a towel, or putting a hot water bottle wrapped in a blanket nearby. Kittens cannot be fed when they are cold. They must be warm to eat, and then it would be tiny drop by tiny drop in the side of the mouth, letting them swallow in between.

If they are preemies, they might need a feeding tube. This is best done by a vet. A vet can give you a prognosis and try to give them a chance, or humanely euthanize them for you, rather than let them die by starvation. Euthanasia might be the best option, sadly.

Did the mom pass the placentas?
unfortunately i don't know when or what she did while giving birth, i found them in my yard around 2-3 hours ago. they have nearly no hair at all. they are premature and probably had at least two weeks until they had to come. i also think they won't make through the night but even tho i know that at least i can try to do something for them i am too scared. sadly, i won't know what will happen to them until tomorrow morning because i moved them in another room with their mother.

Rebeca

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
They will probably be dead by tomorrow. So the mom is in the house now?
i gave in and i am with them right now. i put them next to a bottle with hot water. hopefully they will get a little better and will make it even if it's for another day or two.

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
They will not make it without food. Do you have kitten formula or evaporated milk? If they are warm, can you put tiny drops of milk in the side of their mouths? Is the mother lying with them at all?

Rebeca

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
They will not make it without food. Do you have kitten formula or evaporated milk? If they are warm, can you put tiny drops of milk in the side of their mouths? Is the mother lying with them at all?
yes i do have evaporated milk and no the mother got out as soon as i opened the door that, it's still open, and didn't come back

fionasmom

Staff Member
Purraise
I am sorry that you are faced with this. Having dealt with lots of ferals and finding kittens in the out of doors, I sadly have to agree that I don't believe that the remaining kitten will survive. Please fix the mother if she survives. I lost a completely feral mother in a situation similar to this years ago.....multiple litters, aborted litters.

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
How is it going? Prematures can often be saved, if the rescuer / owner is vigorous enough, but these seems VERY premature.

Im sorry I didnt saw your post until now...

Its also possible momma is still pregnant, and with a little luck will deliver the others in proper time.

Rebeca Rebeca

Kittycatcat

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Such a sad situation, I'm so sorry you are going through this 😢 Sadly I think its extremely unlikely this last little one will make it despite your best efforts.
All you can do is keep it lovely and warm, feed it little but often with kmr using a syringe but I think the odds are stacked against it as its looks so premature.
Has mama cat returned now?
Please do keep us updated, keeping everything crossed 🙏

British Girls

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Hi, this is such a sad situation...Honestly, I fear that the other little one might not make it. the best thing you can do right now is to keep it warm and fed. Hows everything going so far?