Please help

moreknow

learning to help ferals :)
Adult Cat
Purraise
Sorry in advance if i shouldn't even post this type of thing at all. At this point i know it seems like im just wanting attention but i promise that this is the only place that i feel i can speak my thoughts. This past 2 weeks have been horrible.. my neighbor is trying to get rid of my ferals, and i just lost another kitten that's been through so much.. i feel like God's trying to tell me that i should stop this attachment to cats. This has been affecting my mental, physical, and academic health. . I havent focused in school since March because there's a cat problem here and there and i cant overcome it. Nobody would help me, and if i told my parents the truth of how im feeling/failing my classes and cats it would be horrible. I have nowhere to turn to, therapy isnt an option .. please help me get through this cat problem.. I love them but they're affecting my life negatively right now.

catsknowme

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
:grouphug2: We must be on the same wavelength - I was going to edit my response to your thread in the Cat Health forum to include a suggestion to start a thread in this SOS forum. Great minds think alike, eh? :salam:
God is giving you this opportunity to discover the courage, compassion and creativity that He put in your heart and mind. i need to get ready for work - it's in pharmacy so I probably wont get a chance to check in with you until later this evening. Please know that you are not alone...many of us have neighbors who are hellbent on being misguided towards the "community cats problem"; unfortunately for them, they don't realize that is how evil begins. Stay strong, MoreKnow, stay strong :grouphug::vibes::vibes::vibes:

Aglaya Felipe

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Oh my gosh! My housemate in college's kitten bonded to an unvaccinated (obviously) feral kitten. It was the cuuuuuteeest thing you've ever seen, Banksy and Charles- I named the feral. Well my housemate had no heart at all and complained to the landlord who had my Charles trapped and removed. I was almost to the point where I could have scooped him up and brought him for shots and made him my kitty. That was the plan. I was absolutely heartbroken the day they took my Charles.

BellaGooch

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I don’t think anybody here thinks you’re posting this just to get attention or anything like that. I’m truly sorry this is happening to you.
God is giving you this opportunity to discover the courage, compassion and creativity that He put in your heart and mind.

:yeah: “Blessed is the one who perseveres under trial...”
please do not give up. Thank you for helping these ferals. That is a wonderful and heroic thing to do and you should be proud.
Im so sorry about the loss of your kitten. Losing a cat is so difficult.
Please do not give up hope. We’re rooting for you. I’ll be praying for you. :hugs:

Beholder

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Don't apologize. No one is here to judge you. This is a place where you can feel safe to express your feelings without the fear of being judged.

No matter what you're going through, just remember that it's okay to feel this way. While I'm not going through the same thing you are, I am also a college student. Although I'm a bit older than most university students, I think we can all agree that this is one of the more difficult times to be a student. I'm not sure how it is where you're located, but for us it's been online classes for over a year. It's harder than ever to focus on your studies when so many negative things are happening all around.

Keep doing what you can. Don't give up, and in times of loss just remember that you can't do everything. Keep fighting, but also keep in mind that caring for ferals is a lifelong fight. You must also take care of yourself. Don't ever feel bad for asking for help, understanding, or empathy. Feel free to reach out to me (and others) here if you need advice or just someone to listen. :)

fionasmom

Staff Member
Purraise
Rescue of this type is very hard and you are going it alone. You probably have some form of caregiver burnout

Animal Caretaker Burnout

It is a very common syndrome; most articles discuss burnout when caring for other humans, but there are many which deal with animal caregiver burnout as well and the one I linked is only one of many.

You need some support system like the Alley Cat Allies Feral Friends Network or the like. Even if people locally can only talk to you, you will feel better and more supported.

You are doing the hardest kind of animal rescue work that there is. This is not French bulldog rescue where people are falling all over themselves to adopt chubby, ugly little dogs. Your success rate is not measured by how many you saved or rescued, but by acknowledging to yourself that you were able to help any at all and by giving yourself a lot of credit for that.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

moreknow

Adult Cat
Purraise
:grouphug2: We must be on the same wavelength - I was going to edit my response to your thread in the Cat Health forum to include a suggestion to start a thread in this SOS forum. Great minds think alike, eh? :salam:
God is giving you this opportunity to discover the courage, compassion and creativity that He put in your heart and mind. i need to get ready for work - it's in pharmacy so I probably wont get a chance to check in with you until later this evening. Please know that you are not alone...many of us have neighbors who are hellbent on being misguided towards the "community cats problem"; unfortunately for them, they don't realize that is how evil begins. Stay strong, MoreKnow, stay strong :grouphug::vibes::vibes::vibes:
"God is giving you this opportunity to discover the courage, compassion and creativity that He put in your heart and mind."
^^^ i now take this to heart. It's true, im still learning to be patient and strong.. thank you for those words, it really changed my mentality 🧡

moreknow

Adult Cat
Purraise
Oh my gosh! My housemate in college's kitten bonded to an unvaccinated (obviously) feral kitten. It was the cuuuuuteeest thing you've ever seen, Banksy and Charles- I named the feral. Well my housemate had no heart at all and complained to the landlord who had my Charles trapped and removed. I was almost to the point where I could have scooped him up and brought him for shots and made him my kitty. That was the plan. I was absolutely heartbroken the day they took my Charles.
I FEEL THIS SO MUCH
having a cat taken away from you, not knowing if they're in safe hands or suffering out alone in the streets, imagining their cries for help from miles and miles away is definitely is one of the worst feelings ever. I wish my soul could connect with theirs somehow in this world, and let them know that wherever they are, I'll always think and love for them

moreknow

Adult Cat
Purraise
Don't apologize. No one is here to judge you. This is a place where you can feel safe to express your feelings without the fear of being judged.

No matter what you're going through, just remember that it's okay to feel this way. While I'm not going through the same thing you are, I am also a college student. Although I'm a bit older than most university students, I think we can all agree that this is one of the more difficult times to be a student. I'm not sure how it is where you're located, but for us it's been online classes for over a year. It's harder than ever to focus on your studies when so many negative things are happening all around.

Keep doing what you can. Don't give up, and in times of loss just remember that you can't do everything. Keep fighting, but also keep in mind that caring for ferals is a lifelong fight. You must also take care of yourself. Don't ever feel bad for asking for help, understanding, or empathy. Feel free to reach out to me (and others) here if you need advice or just someone to listen. :)
Yes it's been online over at University of st thomas in Houston for over a year and im so tired of it
Im going back to summer classes soon and it's STILL online :(
I feel like I am on the road to recovery, with every loss of my cat strengthening me in a way.. this is one of life's hardest lessons

moreknow

Adult Cat
Purraise
Rescue of this type is very hard and you are going it alone. You probably have some form of caregiver burnout

Animal Caretaker Burnout

It is a very common syndrome; most articles discuss burnout when caring for other humans, but there are many which deal with animal caregiver burnout as well and the one I linked is only one of many.

You need some support system like the Alley Cat Allies Feral Friends Network or the like. Even if people locally can only talk to you, you will feel better and more supported.

You are doing the hardest kind of animal rescue work that there is. This is not French bulldog rescue where people are falling all over themselves to adopt chubby, ugly little dogs. Your success rate is not measured by how many you saved or rescued, but by acknowledging to yourself that you were able to help any at all and by giving yourself a lot of credit for that.
thank you so much for this resource, I will definitely read it tonight
I haven't gave up on them, ive now fed them every day since 2019, i think the worst has past, i just hope that they all stay healthy throughout the year while i work on socializing them

moreknow

Adult Cat
Purraise
GENERAL UPDATE
Im still here, thank you so much for the words, and im sorry for my delays in replying. Thankfully no more cats have gotten sick or disappeared, and Im taking some more cats to the vet tomorrow, after that i should have only 3 more :)
I will post another thread updating my situation with the cats, but everything is alright as of now

many thanks again, and if yall'd like, please feel free to follow me on a new instagram: catstruggles - i plan on posting more once i get everything together.. i plan on highlighting my day by day cat care and possibly become a cat rescuer in my area :)

Beholder

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Yes it's been online over at University of st thomas in Houston for over a year and im so tired of it
Im going back to summer classes soon and it's STILL online :(
I feel like I am on the road to recovery, with every loss of my cat strengthening me in a way.. this is one of life's hardest lessons
Same here! We won't be back in person until the fall and they're requiring everyone to be vaccinated as well. Online lectures have been so time consuming. For me, it seems like teachers are going even faster in lectures (so you have to pause to take notes causing a 1 hour lecture to be 3+), and adding extra assignments and quizzes that we would never would have had time for if it were in person.

I'm glad you are doing better. Don't be afraid to reach out to anyone when things get difficult.

Beholder

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
GENERAL UPDATE
Im still here, thank you so much for the words, and im sorry for my delays in replying. Thankfully no more cats have gotten sick or disappeared, and Im taking some more cats to the vet tomorrow, after that i should have only 3 more :)
I will post another thread updating my situation with the cats, but everything is alright as of now

many thanks again, and if yall'd like, please feel free to follow me on a new instagram: catstruggles - i plan on posting more once i get everything together.. i plan on highlighting my day by day cat care and possibly become a cat rescuer in my area :)
I followed you. And just so you know I've been through/am going through the same thing in your bio. Much love and keep healing <3