Please Help!!

erj1099

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I adopted a cat, they were treating her for ear mites, but I guess the ear mites weren't gone. She ended up scratching her ear until there was a huge cut on it. So, I treated them myself and took her to the vet (they said all the ear mites they saw were dead and treated her again just in case). It healed, and it's been about a week and a half since the vet visit. I took her cone off after cleaning her ears out one last time, and she itched it again until there was a cut AGAIN!!! Why is she still itchy??? She's had the cone on for two weeks in total and I'm just so sad that when I attempted to take it off, she cut herself again, so I put it back on. How do I get her to stop being itchy???

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi. Ear mite parasiticides should be used for at least 7–10 days to eradicate mites and eggs - how long was the treatment your vet gave you to use? Ear cleaning throughout the treatment is also essential. Another issue with ear mites is that they can cause a secondary infection, which could be your cat's issue. Ear mites are also microscopic, so I trust your vet used an otoscope to determine the mites were all dead?

I'd call your vet, tell them that she is still itchy to the point of causing more cuts. They may be able to prescribe another round of treatment over the phone, and give you a suggestion about what solution to use for cleaning her ears while the treatment is being administered.

If the vet thinks your cat had a sufficient duration of treatment previously, ask about the possibility of an immune hypersensitivity reaction that results in intense irritation of the external ear, and how that could be treated.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

erj1099

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thank you for your response!
They were treating her for a week or two before I adopted her, she went untreated for a week, I noticed it was still an issue and I treated her for a week and cleaned out her ears on my own. Before I took her to the vet they looked really good and clean. They swabbed her ears and took a look under a microscope and said all the ear mites they found were dead (my treatment worked for her), cleaned her ears thoroughly, gave her another round of treatment that day, and then said she should be fine. They checked her for secondary infection and said she didn't have one.
She's not even itching towards the inside of her ear, it's just the part right outside of it. I just feel so bad because I want her to be healthy and happy. Since Covid-19, a lot of vets aren't willing to help so I have to take it into my own hands. I just don't want to keep giving her medication for ear mites if she doesn't need it.

erj1099

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Oh, and it's only one ear that she keeps itching. She had ear mites in both ears, we treated both ears, but this one just seems to bother her a lot.

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Sounds like it should have taken care of the mites. Did you ask the vet about the hypersensitivity issue? From what I have read about that, it appears to affect the outer ear more than the inner. Just a guess... Wish I had some other ideas. (I'd still call the vet and tell them.)

Hoping other members come along soon with some other ideas!

erj1099

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thank you so so much for your input! I'll contact them about it as you said. I wonder how they'd recommend treating a hypersensitivity issue

stephanietx

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Ask the vet to culture the wax mixture in her ears. It's very possible that she has developed a yeast infection in that ear.

erj1099

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thank you! The vet is going to contact me tomorrow. Do you guys have any ideas on how to help soothe her? I feel so bad keeping the cone on her still, I just don't want that cut to get any worse than it is from her scratching at it.

erj1099

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Ask the vet to culture the wax mixture in her ears. It's very possible that she has developed a yeast infection in that ear.
Wouldn't that show up in a cytology? I mean it's possible it developed after they did the cytology

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Thank you! The vet is going to contact me tomorrow. Do you guys have any ideas on how to help soothe her? I feel so bad keeping the cone on her still, I just don't want that cut to get any worse than it is from her scratching at it.
Plain Neosporin (no pain additives) rubbed in to the area well might help some. Also, basic chamomile tea bags from the grocery store aisle (which are almost always generally German - you don't want English, nor any additives or flavorings) can help. Brew a bag in water, cool the liquid and dab it on with cotton balls or a soft cloth multiple times a day. The tea has soothing and healing properties, and is an anti-bacterial/anti-fungal agent. If by chance she could get some on her paws, it is safe for her to ingest. The Neosporin would need to be rubbed in enough to prevent her from doing the same.

erj1099

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Plain Neosporin (no pain additives) rubbed in to the area well might help some. Also, basic chamomile tea bags from the grocery store aisle (which are almost always generally German - you don't want English, nor any additives or flavorings) can help. Brew a bag in water, cool the liquid and dab it on with cotton balls or a soft cloth multiple times a day. The tea has soothing and healing properties, and is an anti-bacterial/anti-fungal agent. If by chance she could get some on her paws, it is safe for her to ingest. The Neosporin would need to be rubbed in enough to prevent her from doing the same.
Thank you so much for being such a help, it eases my mind having someone like you to help guide me through this stuff. You've been so helpful and I appreciate it a lot! I'll do the Neosporin for tonight and then try to find the tea at the store tomorrow!

Antonio65

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Also, basic chamomile tea bags from the grocery store aisle (which are almost always generally German - you don't want English, nor any additives or flavorings) can help.
Black Tea was what I used to soothe my Lola's nose skin when she came back home from the radiation therapy, and it worked great.
I brewed a bag in hot water, let the the liquid cool down and would dab this liquid on her nose with a gauze three or four times a day.

erj1099

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
So I noticed today, she still has excessive brown ear wax, but I don't think it's the mites anymore. What else could cause this? I clean her ears everyday and it just seems like it's not letting up

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
If the excessive ear wax is still in just the one ear - or even if it is now again in both ears - I think an infection has set in and it needs to be addressed by the vet. It would probably be a good idea to ask the vet about taking a sample of the wax for further testing.