Please help!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Bookish1

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Yes, I’ve tried literally EVERYTHING. And she was doing great with them...but nothing now. I’m just baffled and don’t know what more to do. Hopefully the vet will give me something tomorrow. Thank you

Bookish1

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Is a steamy bathroom helping her congestion, or is that just when she tries to eat?
Actually yes, it helped her. But the congestion was still noticeable while eating.

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
So, she is eating?

I’m thinking about using the syringe with KMR but I don’t know what to do.
OK...if you need to syringe feed...mix the KMR with a little bit of canned pate style food OR the baby food, so that it is a loose slurry, like VERY watery grits. Draw it up into the syringe. IF she will, squirt out a tiny bite onto her tongue. If she gives you problems with that, place the tip of the syringe between her teeth and her cheek, and squirt out JUST A BIT, allowing her to swallow between each bite. You can use the straight KMR, as well, if the more solid form gives her trouble. Use the powdered KMR, which can be mixed with pedialyte for extra OOMPH.

Bookish1

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
O
Please let us know something as soon as you are able.
okay everyone, we were at the vet today, they did bloodwork, answered all my questions and gave her a very thorough exam. Her blood work came back negative, there was nothing to show any type of abnormality or disease or infection. The vet did not believe she had FIP. Thank Goodness! No leukemia no FIV. She had lost weigh in 2 weeks, my poor lil Blu-Bird only weighs a mere 3 3/4 pounds. She thought due to her size, her URI and her not eating well is just prolonging it. So, we received another antibiotic, oral this time and a medication called MIRATZ 5 to stimulate her appetite. It’s rubbed into the inside of her ear. So fingers crossed. She wants a recheck in 2 weeks if no improvement.

Bookish1

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
So, she is eating?

OK...if you need to syringe feed...mix the KMR with a little bit of canned pate style food OR the baby food, so that it is a loose slurry, like VERY watery grits. Draw it up into the syringe. IF she will, squirt out a tiny bite onto her tongue. If she gives you problems with that, place the tip of the syringe between her teeth and her cheek, and squirt out JUST A BIT, allowing her to swallow between each bite. You can use the straight KMR, as well, if the more solid form gives her trouble. Use the powdered KMR, which can be mixed with pedialyte for extra OOMPH.
Thanks, I’ve never had to do that before, so a tutorial was beneficial. lol this site has been a bleeding and a wealth of information. Love and hugs!

Bookish1

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
So, she is eating?

Sorry, she will lick baby food meat, but only a small amount and just turn her head away. :-(

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Syringe, then. A medicine dropper will do in a pinch. And THANK GOD this is "just" a big ol' wonking infection that meds will take care of! Once her nose clears up, she'll probably eat just fine. If they can't smell it, they won't eat it.

Jcatbird

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Thank you to everyone for responding!

Keep doing the steam treatments before feeding. If she doesn’t show improvement a bit before the weekend, call the vet back. Another call is important before they close again. If needed then be polite but insistent that they do something to give her a boost before they close. IV fluids are not out of the question to ask about. :heartshape::grouphug:
TCS folks really care and I’m so glad you wrote in.

Bookish1

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Thank you to everyone for responding!

Keep doing the steam treatments before feeding. If she doesn’t show improvement a bit before the weekend, call the vet back. Another call is important before they close again. If needed then be polite but insistent that they do something to give her a boost before they close. IV fluids are not out of the question to ask about. :heartshape::grouphug:
TCS folks really care and I’m so glad you wrote in.
Oh yes, you don’t know how thankful I am for all of y’all and your ideas and advice. I was at the end of my rope and this site was my save and grace. I’ll keep everyone posted on my lil Blu-bird.