Please help!

Bookish1

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Over the summer my daughter rescued two feral kittens. They were small and under weight, but she nourished them to health. While both still small for their age, (7 months now) the smaller if the two just wasn’t eating well, and was less active... just suddenly. ( 3 weeks now) she developed little sneezes and would just lay and look miserable. I took her into our vets office, said she had an upper respiratory infection, they gave her an antibiotic shot. That was December 2. She still hasn’t improved much, it’s very difficult to get her to eat and drink she doesn’t groom herself, and doesn’t move often. It’s breaking my heart. She’s tiny and I’m at a loss, I’m doing everything in my power to get her to heal and be healthy. Any advice or help would ever so greatly be appreciated.

fionasmom

Staff Member
Purraise
With a cat this young who has had an URI but is not responding you need to let the vet know so that he can intervene. It is going on 2 week since you saw the vet. Some kitties will eat Gerber's baby food meats when they refuse other food.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Bookish1

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Thank you. I guess I’ll contact the vet on Monday. I have done the Gerber baby meat...she licks some of it. :-(

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Yes, please inform the vet. They may change the antibiotics to try something that might be more effective for her. Also try canned tuna or chicken in water and see if she will eat one (or both) of those. And, while I don't understand the reason why, some cats who are sick or reluctant to eat will do so when given food on a paper plate. I know it sounds a little weird, but it has worked for some others who have tried it.

If the URI could be tied to feline herpes, you might ask the vet about giving her some additional help through products like l-lysine or probiotics. I have no experience with feline herpes, but have read numerous threads on this site about members who supplement their cats with products like these as they help to boost the immune system and reduce herpes flare ups, including URIs.

Bookish1

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Thank you all soooo much, I’ve tried every trick, every oddity, bought different cat foods, baby food, tuna, sardines...and I’m at the end of my rope, I’m worried about her because she looks awful and helpless. And I don’t want her to die. I will however call the vet first thing Monday. I just don’t know what else to do. :-(
B65DFAFC-1526-45ED-971C-A11B91B28D77.jpeg

Yes, please inform the vet. They may change the antibiotics to try something that might be more effective for her. Also try canned tuna or chicken in water and see if she will eat one (or both) of those. And, while I don't understand the reason why, some cats who are sick or reluctant to eat will do so when given food on a paper plate. I know it sounds a little weird, but it has worked for some others who have tried it.

If the URI could be tied to feline herpes, you might ask the vet about giving her some additional help through products like l-lysine or probiotics. I have no experience with feline herpes, but have read numerous threads on this site about members who supplement their cats with products like these as they help to boost the immune system and reduce herpes flare ups, including URIs.
no luck with the paper plate :eek:( however she did eat a bit of baby food turkey tonight, and I think I may give her pedilyte by syringe. I also gave her high calorie gel.

Bookish1

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Thank you all soooo much, I’ve tried every trick, every oddity, bought different cat foods, baby food, tuna, sardines...and I’m at the end of my rope, I’m worried about her because she looks awful and helpless. And I don’t want her to die. I will however call the vet first thing Monday. I just don’t know what else to do. :-(View attachment 312462
This is poor tiny Blu.
no luck with the paper plate :eek:( however she did eat a bit of baby food turkey tonight, and I think I may give her pedilyte by syringe. I also gave her high calorie gel.

cat nap

stand with ukraine
Top Cat
Purraise
Bookish1 Bookish1 ....Are you able to take your kitten to an emergency Vet, or a regular Vet that works on Sunday?

She just looks very ill, with pale ears, third eyelid showing, rough fur, and you mentioned that she is not eating or moving.
If you can check her mouth, and look at her gums...if they are also pale, and kind of slimy....then that is another indication of her needing immediate Vet care.

I know emergency Vets are expensive, but they can do quick assessments, give fluids, do bloodwork...and get her better sooner.

Bookish1

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Bookish1 Bookish1 ....Are you able to take your kitten to an emergency Vet, or a regular Vet that works on Sunday?

She just looks very ill, with pale ears, third eyelid showing, rough fur, and you mentioned that she is not eating or moving.
If you can check her mouth, and look at her gums...if they are also pale, and kind of slimy....then that is another indication of her needing immediate Vet care.

I know emergency Vets are expensive, but they can do quick assessments, give fluids, do bloodwork...and get her better sooner.
Unfortunately no, we have no emergency vet care here. It’s frustrating when you need the urgent care. Blu hasn’t been grooming herself lately so she looks raggedy. Bless her heart. I checked her gums they are still pink, no slime, and she’s not dehydrated. She feels awful and looks awful and isn’t taking in enough calories. She did walk around this afternoon and evening meowed at me and purred in my lap. I’m just worried sick, she hasn’t gotten any better. :-(

Jcatbird

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Hang in there and don’t give up. Keep her warm in case she is chilled. A blanket fresh out of the dryer always feels good. Call the vet office , text, email even if they are not open. Some vets do check in , especially if they have animals boarded at their place. I have even gone to get their employees to contact them in an emergency.

jefferd18

Ms. Jeff's Legacy
Top Cat
Purraise
I agree with the above opinion, the vet needs to know if she is not improving.

She sounds like she could also be feeling nausea which will make her only want to lick the food instead of eating it. The vet can give her some meds for that as well when he sees her again.

In the meantime will she take in some warm upped lactose-free whole milk?

jefferd18

Ms. Jeff's Legacy
Top Cat
Purraise

Bookish1

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I agree with the above opinion, the vet needs to know if she is not improving.

She sounds like she could also be feeling nausea which will make her only want to lick the food instead of eating it. The vet can give her some meds for that as well when he sees her again.

In the meantime will she take in some warm upped lactose-free whole milk?
I’ve purchased KMR and was giving it to her warm when she first got sick, she’d drink it, but now she pretty much refuses most everything. She licks the baby meat, but is no where near getting enough nutrients. I will go to vet tomorrow first thing in the morning. For having. URI it sure has taken her down. Thank you for your support.