Please Help

Jen1607

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Ok...so i have 2 cats. 7 yr old Male named Colby and 13 week old female named Eevee. We have had her for well over a month. The cats play together and for the most part get along.

For the last couple of weeks Colby has been acting very weird.
When i get home he is very happy to see me. I pick him up...he snuggles everything. Then i give them wet food. Seperate dishes...though they dont mind eating from the same one. Anyways once hes done eating his attitude does a 360. He starts growling at everything...hisses at me...swats at me...spits at me. And thats lasts for a good few hours.

I dont know what to do anymore. I know hes jealouse of the new kitten but he gets along with her. And he only freaks out at me after feeding time.

Please help

EggSandwich

Cinnamon's roll
Adult Cat
Purraise
I'm not 100% sure what I'm saying, as I am relatively new to cat owning as well. However, here is what I would say:
Have you started feeding Colby less to save food for the kitten? He'd be the one to notice.
Does he act the same way to the kitten?

I would redo the introduction process. There are plenty of good reads in the article section to help with this process.

Another, more farfetched thing to consider would be that he does not like his food any more. Do you know of any changes in formulation or perhaps a developing allergy? Does he scratch himself a lot? What does he eat out of? Plastic?

I'm just throwing ideas out there because no one else has answered. Thanks.

Ceracera

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Do you do anything between feeding time and when he's done eating? Like shower or change your clothes? Have you started using a new shampoo or anything like that?

Its kinda odd he didnt do this when the new kitten was introduced but a few weeks after. So id guess it doesnt have much to do with the new kitten. Unless the new kitten has started eating more and hes not getting enough food now.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Jen1607

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I'm not 100% sure what I'm saying, as I am relatively new to cat owning as well. However, here is what I would say:
Have you started feeding Colby less to save food for the kitten? He'd be the one to notice.

I would redo the introduction process. There are plenty of good reads in the article section to help with this process.

Another, more farfetched thing to consider would be that he does not like his food any more. Do you know of any changes in formulation or perhaps a developing allergy? Does he scratch himself a lot? What does he eat out of? Plastic?

I'm just throwing ideas out th
Do you do anything between feeding time and when he's done eating? Like shower or change your clothes? Have you started using a new shampoo or anything like that?

Its kinda odd he didnt do this when the new kitten was introduced but a few weeks after. So id guess it doesnt have much to do with the new kitten. Unless the new kitten has started eating more and hes not getting enough food now.

Jen1607

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I havent done anything different and its only when they eat. Colby mostly eats dry food. But when kitten came around i switched from feeding him wet food every second day to a little in the morning and at night cuz i didnt want him to feel left out. So hes actually eating more wet food now than before.

Ceracera

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Im no expert, but id try to figure out if its the kitten or the food changes.

So id probably start by feeding them in separate rooms. If he still gets aggressive with the kitten away, then id try going back to the exact way he was fed before and see if that works.

Id also look at his teeth and see if there might be something hurting when he eats.

Jen1607

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I am going to try and go back to how he was fed before the kitten. Only feeding him every other night. She will still get her wet food every day as she is still a kitten.
I gave him treats this morning...and not her and he didn't growl. It seems to be almost like he doesn't like her eating with him...it's weird. So I will try feeding them separately going forward and see what happens.

Lalka

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I agree with Ceracera...feed them in separate rooms. Feed colby first so he is busy eating his food while you feed Eevee.
It does happen after meals...so he is maybe still hungry? What is their meals schedule?