PLEASE HELP!!!!

lallorona

Cat Munster
Super Cat
Purraise
So I went to the grocery and I found a kitten that was laying next to a trash cash. I asked around if they knew who it may belong to but people told me someone just dumped the poor baby. So I brought him home because I just couldn't leave it there too die. Both his eyes and nose had mucus but I cleaned them off. He won't eat and he just wants to sleep. I'm giving him fluids in hopes to hydrate him. I went online to look for ways to help him but all I read are articles that he would die. My heart is literally shattered. I want to help this poor thing. I think he has a runny nose. I don't have enough money to take him to a vet. I barely have enough for my other cat. I'm keeping them separated. What should I do? I'm literally in tears as I type this because I have never brought home a sick cat and I don't know how to help him. What can I do to help him unclog his stuffy nose?

Last edited:

margd

Chula and Paul's roommate
Veteran
Purraise
It might help if you keep the kitten in a steamy bathroom for awhile or run a vaporizer but as you have already figured out the poor baby needs to go to the vet. People can be so cruel - you are this kitten's angel rescuing him and giving him a loving place. How old is the kitten - can you tell? You really need to post this in the pregnant cats and kittens forum but I'll try paging a kitten expert for you. If it doesn't work, contact sarthur2. Sarthur2 Sarthur2

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

lallorona

Cat Munster
Super Cat
Purraise
margd margd I'm estimating around 6-8 weeks old. I would take him to the vet if I had enough money, and no vet hospital is open around my area and j don't have a car either way. I'm trying my best to get him to gain energy. Idk how to make him eat, I bought a can of food and I'm trying to encourage him to eat but he won't. I put a little bit on his mouth and he ate but I guess he can't smell it becaus his nose is clogged. I'm so heart broken right now. This cat deserves a chance. And I can't stop crying :'(

Last edited:

margd

Chula and Paul's roommate
Veteran
Purraise
If he ate when you hand fed him, that is a very good sign. Keep feeding him, as much as he will eat.

You can also add a little water to some of the canned food and make a slurry out of it - if you have a needless syringe or medicine dropper put a little in his cheek - just a little at a time. You can get the needless syringes at the pharmacy tomorrow if you don't have them. In the meantime try offering a little of the slurry on a spoon. This will get him some water.

Google rescues in your area and call them tomorrow to see if anyone can come take the kitten. Most rescues are pretty full up so they might not have room so be prepared to take care of him yourself. Don't take him to a shelter as he will almost certainly be euthanized as he is sick. Emergency vets might be able to tell you the name of the local rescues if Google doesn't help.

I wish I could be more help but my last experience with kittens was many many years ago. There are some great threads in the Pregnant Cats and Kittens forum that detail how to care for ailing kittens - I can't link from my phone but check that section out. Hopefully one of the experts will see this and chime in soon.

I know it is very upsetting to try to help such a small helpless being but you are doing the work of angels here. Even if the kitten doesn't make it, he will have known love and comfort at the end and that is a wonderful gift.

handsome kitty

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
If you have any honey or light karo syrup, you can smear a bit on his gums and it will give him instant energy to eat.  Otherwise you can offer him sugar water but that will take longer to get into his system. Try taking him in the bathroom and running a steamy shower (don't put the cat in the shower, he just needs to breathe in the steam) .  the steam will clear his nose. Some cats don't eat if they can't smell the food,.  You can also try Friskies wet food I hear it is super smelly.

lallorona

Cat Munster
Super Cat
Purraise
If he ate when you hand fed him, that is a very good sign. Keep feeding him, as much as he will eat.

You can also add a little water to some of the canned food and make a slurry out of it - if you have a needless syringe or medicine dropper put a little in his cheek - just a little at a time. You can get the needless syringes at the pharmacy tomorrow if you don't have them. In the meantime try offering a little of the slurry on a spoon. This will get him some water.

Google rescues in your area and call them tomorrow to see if anyone can come take the kitten. Most rescues are pretty full up so they might not have room so be prepared to take care of him yourself. Don't take him to a shelter as he will almost certainly be euthanized as he is sick. Emergency vets might be able to tell you the name of the local rescues if Google doesn't help.

I wish I could be more help but my last experience with kittens was many many years ago. There are some great threads in the Pregnant Cats and Kittens forum that detail how to care for ailing kittens - I can't link from my phone but check that section out. Hopefully one of the experts will see this and chime in soon.

I know it is very upsetting to try to help such a small helpless being but you are doing the work of angels here. Even if the kitten doesn't make it, he will have known love and comfort at the end and that is a wonderful gift.
Thank you an administrator already moved my post to that section of the forum. Right now I'm looking up rescues on Google but I can't find any that offer medical attention. I know I probably sound ridiculous but I'm so heartbroken just seeing the little fella so weak. I'd give anything to watch him trash my house and break my ornaments. Just to see this kitten run around. I cry at the thought that it will not happen. :'(

lallorona

Cat Munster
Super Cat
Purraise
If you have any honey or light karo syrup, you can smear a bit on his gums and it will give him instant energy to eat.  Otherwise you can offer him sugar water but that will take longer to get into his system. Try taking him in the bathroom and running a steamy shower (don't put the cat in the shower, he just needs to breathe in the steam) .  the steam will clear his nose. Some cats don't eat if they can't smell the food,.  You can also try Friskies wet food I hear it is super smelly.
Yes I do have honey thank god. I will do that right now! And I already did the steamy bathroom thing. Also because of the drought I'm trying to keep it minimum because they're already fining for excess water use in my area.

handsome kitty

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
It's not that they offer medical attention, but they may of low cost options.  They provide medical attention for the kittens they have so if you are not planning to keep the kitten you can offer to foster for them.  Most rescues are limited by the number of foster homes they have available.

Where in CA are you?

handsome kitty

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
You can also heat up some water and hold the kitten near the stream rising.  Don't let him near the hot water.

lallorona

Cat Munster
Super Cat
Purraise
It's not that they offer medical attention, but they may of low cost options.  They provide medical attention for the kittens they have so if you are not planning to keep the kitten you can offer to foster for them.  Most rescues are limited by the number of foster homes they have available.

Where in CA are you?
Around the LA area. I would love to keep him so my other cat can have a "brother" but since I'm still living with my parents they only allowed me to bring him in, nurse him and find him a home. But I'm crossing my fingers and hoping I can convince my parents to keep him because I will get attached.

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
This kitten is very ill and you need to ask your parents to pay for a vet visit. He likely has an upper respiratory infection (URI), and who knows what else. If he is not eating he may not make it.

You can try syringing some clear pedialyte into him a few drops at a time in the side of his mouth, allowing time for him to swallow and breathe. He needs hydration desperately. He also needs sub-q fluids and antibiotics to recover. He needs the care of an emergency vet.

I know you feel for him and want to help him, but without medical care he may not make it. He's too sick. I understand also that you have no money so his fate is likely sealed. You can try to get him to lick some Gerber turkey baby food from your finger but he needs medical care. I'm just being honest with you. It's sad, but perhaps you can offer comfort in the meantime.

Last edited:

lallorona

Cat Munster
Super Cat
Purraise
Just a little update on the kitten, he is wide awake and alert right now. I think he's gaining some energy. When j brought him he was very weak, and right now he's walking crying at everything he sees, and he even jumped on my bed. I'm waiting for tomorrow to come so I can call rescue groups and see if there's any room for him.

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Well, this is good news! See if he will eat from your finger now. He must have food!

Perhaps there is hope, but he must eat.

Can you post a picture of him?

lallorona

Cat Munster
Super Cat
Purraise
Well, this is good news! See if he will eat from your finger now. He must have food!

Perhaps there is hope, but he must eat.

Can you post a picture of him?
I will pm you because i don't know how to post pictures on threads

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Do you have a syringe or dropper?

Can you put a spoon of honey or sugar in some water with a sprinkle of salt, mix it, and give him some?

This is homeade pedialyte. It will help.

Let me know!

lallorona

Cat Munster
Super Cat
Purraise
Do you have a syringe or dropper?

Can you put a spoon of honey or sugar in some water with a sprinkle of salt, mix it, and give him some?

This is homeade pedialyte. It will help.

Let me know!
Yes I gave him pedialyte already but if this will also help I'm willing to do anything! I'd give anything just to have him attack my ankles!

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Ok, you have pedialyte and are giving it. Continue. This is good.

Will he eat some wet food now?

He is old enough from your picture. He needs to eat.

lallorona

Cat Munster
Super Cat
Purraise
Ok, you have pedialyte and are giving it. Continue. This is good.

Will he eat some wet food now?

He is old enough from your picture. He needs to eat.
I tried giving him some right now. I don't think he can smell it because of his stuffy nose. I tried putting on dab on his mouth, he still refuses..