Please help

dmhnuts

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
It's been almost 3 days that a stray we took in 4 weeks ago gave birth and 3 kittens have died already almost every 12 hours one dies also I have noticed that the mother has been blocking access to milk for a short while to these kittens also they tend to wonder around the nest not noing were there going to and last of all 3 are quite large and the 3 that died are half there size I don't want them all to die please help

tsukiyomi

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
If the mother is blocking them from feeding than I think you need to get goats milk (raw is said to be best)/KMR (Avoid Hartz like the plague), some kitten bottles/syringes without needles immediately. Though I'm the type who would have it around if I had a pregnant cat period as a precaution (just a personal nature thing). Sorry to hear about those who passed though :(

Last edited:

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
It's been almost 3 days that a stray we took in 4 weeks ago gave birth and 3 kittens have died already almost every 12 hours one dies also I have noticed that the mother has been blocking access to milk for a short while to these kittens also they tend to wonder around the nest not noing were there going to and last of all 3 are quite large and the 3 that died are half there size I don't want them all to die please help
Its as Tsukiyomi says, you must give them food yourself.    Goat milk or  a kmr.   If you dont have gears, you can use a dropper.

Tummy down, head up, cautiously in the corner of the mouth...

If there is night at your place and no neigbours, begin with giving them a little water, with some white caro syrup or honey in....  Body temperature.  It will buy you a little time.

Be sure they are warm enough - it probably means you must warm them up actively, with a heat pad or something alike...

The mom will hopefully kick in her maternal instincst soon, but for now you must take charge.

If the mother is blocking them from feeding than I think you need to get goats milk (raw is said to be best)/KMR (Avoid Hartz like the plague), some kitten bottles/syringes without needles immediately.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

dmhnuts

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Do they even do goats milk in the UK? I've never seen it before I've also been informed that those 3 were runts and this is why they were different in size and also why there dieing/not rooting and being separated could this be true,thanks

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
The mom, it may be she is very young and unexperienced, but it may be there is some problems, she perhaps has pains in her teats...  Or is not done as yet with the delivery.  So observe her too, and you must perhaps take her to a vet.

Most vets arent good with small kittens, and they wont take care of them anyways.  At best they will give you suitable gears and show how to feed with for example, this needleless syringe.

So dont rush the kittens to the vet, unless you know for sure its someone very friendly whom is used to helping with small kittens.  But you can surely ask for gears and advice.

Im sending some links.

I myself will go to bed in half an hour. but somebody is almost always here, so come with new reports and questions...

http://www.thecatsite.com/a/hand-rearing-kittens

http://www.kitten-rescue.com/
http://www.kittenrescue.org/index.php/cat-care/kitten-care-handbook/
http://www.hdw-inc.com/glop.htm

Goats milk is useful instead of kmr. Raw goat milk is best, but bottled full fat is OK too.

Observe, if an orphan is much bloated, gas-filled, bloated, have colic, simethicone (google on it) may help.  1-2 drop in the bottle.

Fleece or flannel good to use in the bedding for kittens.

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Do they even do goats milk in the UK? I've never seen it before I've also been informed that those 3 were runts and this is why they were different in size and also why there dieing/not rooting and being separated could this be true,thanks
Yes, quite possible that is why they died.  Were they fully haired and round, or thin and with a very thin fur, pinky all around?   If so, they were even premature.

Prematures have easy to die, its always a fight uphill, even if the owner does his outmost to save them.

But you tell the bigger ones dont have it easy either, mom is not letting them nurse, they are wandering around...    Its yellow flag, even red flag...

If you dont know a goat farmer, they can have it in diary departaments in bigger food shops.  Here in Sweden the easiest way to get bottled (cartooned) goat milk is in shops owned by immigrants, typically from the arab lands...

So may it be in UK too.

Otherwise, some good kmr...  GNC produces good brands, some of them are based on goat milk.

Royal Canin has a good kitten mothermilk replacement - their bottle has a good nipple.

Pet Ag produces KMR in powder, its a very good brand.

What you shall avoir is the Hartz mentioned earlier, and Sargent - Sargent is an UK brand - not so good.

dmhnuts

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thankyou and yes it is her first litter and is only 10 months old herself and she gave up half way through birth just laid meowing at me so I had to free 2 of the kittens from there sacks we took her in as we think our cat got her pregnant and kept bringing her home our neighbours originally owned her but abandoned her 5 months ago

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Thankyou and yes it is her first litter and is only 10 months old herself and she gave up half way through birth just laid meowing at me so I had to free 2 of the kittens from there sacks we took her in as we think our cat got her pregnant and kept bringing her home our neighbours originally owned her but abandoned her 5 months ago
Poor girl.  Big luck you took her in...

As said, if she isnt ill, hopefully her mothernal instincts will kick in with time.

But as long YOU must take charge,

There is more, like stimulating them to eliminate, and weighting them every day so you know the development, but  its the next step.

First step is to get something into them, at least this water contiainging glucose sugar - if you dont have glucose sugar proper, honey or white caro syrup are ok...  It will buy you time.

Its hurry to get something into them.

dmhnuts

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hi Stefanz it was the 3 small ones that had trouble finding her and feeding the 3 remaining big ones are feeding alot and climb all over her is this a good sign I guess? And as for the smaller ones they were slim with slight pop belly there hair was long but kinda thin you also mention them being premature apparently before we took her in she was mounted by many cats is it possible she carried 2 litters one bieng conceived before the other thanks

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Hi Stefanz it was the 3 small ones that had trouble finding her and feeding the 3 remaining big ones are feeding alot and climb all over her is this a good sign I guess? And as for the smaller ones they were slim with slight pop belly there hair was long but kinda thin you also mention them being premature apparently before we took her in she was mounted by many cats is it possible she carried 2 litters one bieng conceived before the other thanks
Yes, its fully possible.   These runts could possibly be saved by vigorous fight, but if all 3 would survive, I dont think so... It takes some skill and experience to save weak ones...  And even so, some dies...  As said, its always a fight uphill, both with prematures, and mini-runts.

But as you describe it, the bigger ones are OK, and the mom is accepting them...  Good, so its not the same drama I feared it was.

Still, get yoursel the gears mentioned - IF any crisis arrives.

And do weigh them every day at the same time, so you see how much they gain.  They should gain about 10 gram every day.

tsukiyomi

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Well I've always heard they can have different fathers so I imagine it could be the case. I'm almost positive I've read about it on here recently too.

dmhnuts

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Ok thanks very much

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Very likely those three were premature. It's the first thing that came to mind when you said the other three were twice their size. And yes, cats can mate with different males. It could have been a separate conception, or that the big ones squeezed the little ones in utero. Regardless, and it is hard to lose any kittens, it would have been tough to save them.

I'm glad to hear that the remaining three are nursing well. She is a very young mom. Be sure she gets plenty of kitten chow and wet food. And so kind of you to take her in. Let us know how it continues to go. :)

kstonya

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
You need to get the weight of all the kittens that remain as soon as possible so you can make sure they are gaining about 6 to 10 g a day in weight.

It does sound as if it was either the runts or the kittens were premature. In either case my condolences on the passing of the babies. Also as Stefan mentioned you might monitor the mommy as she might still be delivering. The mommy should not eat more than 4 of the placentas if she will not open the sacks at least clear the nose and mouth of the kitten. You might have to place the kitten to the mothers mouth if there is any more that she leaves. The mother can take several hours to deliver all of the babies. As you mentioned she is quit young but still able to produce good babies.

If you have more babies make sure the placentas are out before you try and tie off the cords. You might get sharp scissors and thread ready just in case. The babies need a warm place so make sure it is not drafty and if needed place a hot pad near the babies under a towel on low.

Please let us know if you have any more questions. here is a few more links

How Do I Know When My Cat Will Give Birth?
Pregnant Cat? What to Prepare For the Birth
Help! My Cat is Having Kittens!
Premature Kittens
Post-Birth Complications in Cats

dmhnuts

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hi guys just an update the three remaining seem very strong and are even fighting over the closest nipple it's so cute lol ill keep you posted as it seems that they fade at around 5pm UK time fingers crossed

kstonya

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Thanks make sure you have a warm place for the mommy and kittens. As they cannot maintain their body heat on their own using a hot pad or sock with rice heated in a microwave and placed under a towel so the kittens are not in direct contact with the sock or hot pad. If the mommy had the kittens in the open you might have to get a box and place the kittens in it and move it to a room that will be quiet and away from the commotions of the house. If you have to move the kittens the mommy will follow and lock them all in the room or closet with a litter box close by and food and water for mommy. As you indicated that the kittens start to fade then you might supplement the mommies feeding with a bottle. KMR is a powder that you mix with water and there is a kitten supplement. Stefen has the figures but they need to gain 6 to 10 g of weight daily. That is why you need to get a starting weight on all the kittens. use a 1ml syringe without a needle or a bottle the kittens need to me held in an upright position like they feed from the mommy. StefanZ lives near by and would probably know the local stores better than those of us that live in the States. But either way get a kitten kit and help the babies until they don't need it. I have to go out for a while but you can continue to post questions and someone will be on to help.

Great job on the additions and we all are sorry you lost those that went over the Rainbow Bridge as some here call it.

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Glad to hear the update that the three kittens are nursing well and appear healthy! They will eventually settle on their favorite nipple apiece and then use the same one each time. Hope all continues to go well for you! :)

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise

You need to get the weight of all the kittens that remain as soon as possible so you can make sure they are gaining about 6 to 10 g a day in weight.

It does sound as if it was either the runts or the kittens were premature. In either case my condolences on the passing of the babies. Also as Stefan mentioned you might monitor the mommy as she might still be delivering. The mommy should not eat more than 4 of the placentas if she will not open the sacks at least clear the nose and mouth of the kitten. You might have to place the kitten to the mothers mouth if there is any more that she leaves. The mother can take several hours to deliver all of the babies. As you mentioned she is quit young but still able to produce good babies.

If you have more babies make sure the placentas are out before you try and tie off the cords. You might get sharp scissors and thread ready just in case. The babies need a warm place so make sure it is not drafty and if needed place a hot pad near the babies under a towel on low.

Please let us know if you have any more questions. here is a few more links

How Do I Know When My Cat Will Give Birth?
Pregnant Cat? What to Prepare For the Birth
Help! My Cat is Having Kittens!
Premature Kittens
Post-Birth Complications in Cats
Nay, not sharp scissors, use blunt scissors.  Or even your own nails, to cut off freshly born  cords.

Sharp scissor may be possible to use if the cord was hanging on several hours, and all blood is surely gone...

I know the delivery is now done long ago, but its important to spread, no sharp scissors on newly born cords.  BUT you can use nails if necessary.  Its enough you have clean hands, there is no need to be totally sterile.   Moms teeths aren sterile.

Last edited:

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Hi guys just an update the three remaining seem very strong and are even fighting over the closest nipple it's so cute lol ill keep you posted as it seems that they fade at around 5pm UK time fingers crossed
Do you mean they seems to want to sleep?

Because obviously you dont tell they are going downhill - fade.  As they are healthy and thrive.