Please help with stalking issue

ScaryGoblin

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi everyone. I'm sorry for the long post. My husband and I have 2 female cats, Goblin, 3 years old and Kiwi, 2 years old. They have always gotten along pretty peacefully and would even play together but seemingly out of nowhere, K began to obsessively stalk G.

About a month ago we adopted an 8 week old male kitten, Scary. We decided it was best to keep S in a playpen in our room without either of the other cats allowed in. He's still in our room, but the other cats are allowed in now. Everyone gets along with him just fine especially G, but K seems to mostly ignore him and keep her distance from him. She occasionally swats at him then leaves the area.

In retrospect we’re pretty sure this started happening before we got the kitten, but its gotten pretty bad in the last two or three weeks: K has been stalking G any chance she gets, cornering her and (we’re pretty sure) swatting at her, and it’s to the point where G has had a few potty accidents as a result. This always happens when no one is looking, mainly around the litter boxes. We just hear nasty hissing and come to the scene where G is cowering from K and K is just staring at her.

We know that cats need multiple resources so we've added 2 additional litter boxes to the house, more toys, more cat furniture and even turned our spare room into an entire cat room with resources. Nothing has changed and in fact it seems to have gotten worse to the point K is fixated on stalking G. It's like that's all she thinks about. S stays in our room and doesn't really interact with anyone much, he just likes to eat and sleep and play with us. We are desperate. Are there any more steps we can take to fix this issue? We've even tried pheromone diffusers. All K wants to do is stalk and we think this has been happening long before we got S, but in the last couple weeks it's gotten even worse. Please help

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi. Since you think this all started before the kitten was adopted, and has only gotten worse, then you do need to consider ruling out health related issues - for both K and G. Some cats who are ill will become aggressive toward other cats - and vice-versa, some cats will be aggressive to another cat who is ill. These cats may be young but ruling out health issues is almost always the first step regardless of age. The worsening could be because the health issues is escalating, or it could because of the new kitten.

Placing two litterboxes in the same general area might help too - that way if there is something about the litter box(es) that is provoking the problem, with two litter boxes close together, that might stop K from stalking G, as there would always be one box available for K to use if G is using one.

There could have been other factors, such as something happening back at the time this started that you just took for granted. There are numerous things than can upset a cat that we humans don't even think about. So, think long and hard about what was going on in your home at the time this started.

See if there are any tips/ideas in these TCS articles that might help you.
Stress in Cats – The Ultimate Guide – TheCatSite Articles
Cat Behavior Problems [What to do and what not to do] – TheCatSite Articles
Cat Acting Strangely? Here’s What It Could Mean – TheCatSite Articles

danteshuman

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I was going to recommend a vet check for K & G. In the meantime why not separate the girls, letting each have the run of your home..... and the new kitten; for half of every day?

Nebaug

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
When it comes to stalking behavior instead people recommending generic articles I would love that people, who had the issue and had it solved no matter the results, come and give some feedback. I was reading , learning and dealing with the situation for over a year and none of offered solutions working ……… at all. It’s scary and frustrating and I’m not much wiser after the ordeal.

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
When it comes to stalking behavior instead people recommending generic articles I would love that people, who had the issue and had it solved no matter the results, come and give some feedback. I was reading , learning and dealing with the situation for over a year and none of offered solutions working ……… at all. It’s scary and frustrating and I’m not much wiser after the ordeal.
Offering either standard treatments or isolated specific recommendations doesn't mean an absolute resolution will be obtained. Every case is different, and perhaps every solution will be too.

The key to the 'generic' articles is to get folks to tune into analyzing possible causes - in their specific environments/circumstances - that can escape so many of us without the benefit of sincere, thorough analysis. There is a reason - and it always comes down to each specific situation being analyzed to its fullest for that particular case.

All anyone can do is to give guidance on what to look for in the hopes that helps an individual to establish a process to enact the necessary research - pertinent to their circumstances - to find causes and hopefully resolutions.

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
would love that people, who had the issue and had it solved no matter the results,
Every case is different, and perhaps every solution will be too.
Feebysowner is right. Here the OPs situation could very well be health related. In your case it sounds as though possibly it was behavioral/ territorial. I'm so sorry that you had such a rough go of it :hugs: !

Alldara

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi S ScaryGoblin sorry to hear about the troubles. You've said you've tried some things so I might be repeating but please say if anything has worked a little or not worked because it could help us to help you brainstorm new things.

Some questions
1. What ways, if any are you able to say yes to Kiwi stalking something? (An electronic mouse or something?)
2. Are you already using Feliway or have you tried it previously?
3. Do Kiwi and Goblin get separate playtime from one another to get energy out, with a closed door separating them?
4. Do they already have a bird feeder to watch through a window?
5. Do you find ways for Kiwi to have movement for food time? Is there any way where Kiwi's only food can be provided through enrichment for a few days to see if that improves the situation at all or leaves it the same?
6. Do you provide breaks for Scary from Kiwi with a closed door? If yes, how long and what happens?

I hope we can help you to get to the bottom of this.
A vet visit with bloodwork never hurts as recommended above. However, please give some quiet space in a separate room after returning from the vet as with a new kitten already there, non-recognition stress can happen .

catsknowme

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Kiwi may have a high prey drive compounded with a high i.q. that requires more mental enrichment. I have had great results with both inside cats and semi-ferals with using retired fishing poles with a teaser toy attached. The goal is to allow a minimum of 12ft sprints and 3+ feet high leaps into the air. For G, I would encourage confidence building by teaching tricks - tail whips and circles are easy ones. I use a footstool as the performance perch.

Nebaug

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Offering either standard treatments or isolated specific recommendations doesn't mean an absolute resolution will be obtained. Every case is different, and perhaps every solution will be too.

The key to the 'generic' articles is to get folks to tune into analyzing possible causes - in their specific environments/circumstances - that can escape so many of us without the benefit of sincere, thorough analysis. There is a reason - and it always comes down to each specific situation being analyzed to its fullest for that particular case.

All anyone can do is to give guidance on what to look for in the hopes that helps an individual to establish a process to enact the necessary research - pertinent to their circumstances - to find causes and hopefully resolutions.
I understand, what I meant is that I would love to see the light on the other side. I do understand that each story is different but sometimes you just want to read the finished story, for a hope and maybe inspiration . Just the concrete word that it has been done and can be solved. A feel good story …… :)

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I understand, what I meant is that I would love to see the light on the other side. I do understand that each story is different but sometimes you just want to read the finished story, for a hope and maybe inspiration . Just the concrete word that it has been done and can be solved. A feel good story …… :)
Yes - all too many members looking for help on this site do not always follow up if/when they find a resolution, unfortunately. I, too, wished they did!

Nebaug

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Yes - all too many members looking for help on this site do not always follow up if/when they find a resolution, unfortunately. I, too, wished they did!
I hate that , they come desperately seeking help and this community really rally to help. It would be nice if they would come back with updates and closure. What I’m afraid of is that those situations end up in failures and people get rid of the problem and that is why they don’t come back with updates. I really hope that I’m wrong on this. :(

firedept10

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Been through this myself. We have a cat named Misha. Great very gentle cat but won’t put up with aggression towards herself. She will defend herself. We’ll after she was about 1 year old we noticed a few of our cats were swatting and basically attacking her. She just ran and hid. We also noticed weight loss in her.
So took her to vet. She was diagnosed with FIP. Had our other cats not become aggressive with her we would not really have known she was sick. Well a year later she is cured of her FIP and now is actually a bit more aggressive than she used to be. We actually have to calm her down at times.
So not sure is you one cat is sick but a vet check could show something. Not saying as serious as our Misha but she could be sick and you not know it.