Please help with big decision

tabbytom

Happiness is being owned by a cat
Staff Member
Mentor
Purraise
Thank you fluffpaws!

Yes guys,..I picked up Dynah late this afternoon! She is doing very well considering her 3 1/2 days at the vets.

She went right to her "safe" spot under her bed when I opened the carrier door.

AMAZINGLY, she came out 10 minutes later,..peeked at me in the living room,...then went down the hall to her Cattree,...jumped up and made sure everything was right....then a thunderstorm came in...went back to hiding spot.

Then 20 minutes later, back into cattree and in her favorite cubbyhole and is still there sleeping!!

What an Amazing Cat huh? I thought she would be hiding until i retired for the night.

I will post more of her results from vets tomorrow which are very good indeed. She did better than me during this whole time.
Thanks guys! Have a good evening! I need to sleep!!!
d780d7e34800d94df1d6bfc41d331465.jpg

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Dinah Doll

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Thanks guys! Dynah roamed the house all night. Only slept a little to my surprise. This morning, she went into the back porch and I did not know it. When I walked in she froze and was ready to bolt. So the "carrier" incident is still very fresh in her mind. I think it will take more time than usual for her to get back the little trust she had in the first place. But,..that is Dynah and I accept her as she is.

Here is a list of the care Dynah received:

DYNAHvet1.jpg

They also trimmed her claws. They could not give her a bath as she came out of sedation before they could do that. That vet office is a crazy busy place like most vets. They did not charge me for boarding the three nights she was there.

She also has a little eye discharge that may have to be addressed. This is suspected "feline herpies". Eye drops are usually administered but that would be impossible. So medication would be put in her food if it comes to that.

They think she was a TNR girl and it appears she has been spayed. I forgot to ask the tech how old the vet thought she may be. I am thinking 2 1/2 years old.

This was a very stressful time for Dynah and for me too. I think she handled it better than I did. I am so very glad she is back home and has been examined and treated for those nasty roundworms.

Thank you all for your support with this event. It would have been much more difficult to do all of this without your help :heartshape:

Dinah Doll

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I have been thinking of her and you and so glad to see the good results! TNR is great, something you don't have to worry about doing if that proves to be true!!
Whew! When will the FELV/FIV results be back?
Hi pearl99,..so nice of you!

The results of the tests are "pending" according to the paperwork. I think I remember at checkout the tech said that it may take a week. Not sure about that.

Everything is leaning towards the fact that she was in a TNR program. I also have another thought on why Dynah was in such a program. But that is for another discussion on another day 🙂

All day, Dynah has spent her time in the cattree and only came out to use the litter box in her bedroom a couple of times and to drink some water. She has not eaten at all. But that is fine. I think when I retire for the night she will eat and roam again. She is REALLY keeping me at a distance but,...I saw some signs of her getting back to being a bit more open and trustful again.Time heals.

Ok. Time hit the hay. Thanks again folks! 🙂

Kwik

Animals are Blessings
Top Cat
Purraise
Thanks guys! Dynah roamed the house all night. Only slept a little to my surprise. This morning, she went into the back porch and I did not know it. When I walked in she froze and was ready to bolt. So the "carrier" incident is still very fresh in her mind. I think it will take more time than usual for her to get back the little trust she had in the first place. But,..that is Dynah and I accept her as she is.

Here is a list of the care Dynah received:

View attachment 477778

They also trimmed her claws. They could not give her a bath as she came out of sedation before they could do that. That vet office is a crazy busy place like most vets. They did not charge me for boarding the three nights she was there.

She also has a little eye discharge that may have to be addressed. This is suspected "feline herpies". Eye drops are usually administered but that would be impossible. So medication would be put in her food if it comes to that.

They think she was a TNR girl and it appears she has been spayed. I forgot to ask the tech how old the vet thought she may be. I am thinking 2 1/2 years old.

This was a very stressful time for Dynah and for me too. I think she handled it better than I did. I am so very glad she is back home and has been examined and treated for those nasty roundworms.

Thank you all for your support with this event. It would have been much more difficult to do all of this without your help :heartshape:
Hi Greg-trust me on this,it(" the carrier") is definitely much more on your mind than it is hers- cats pick up on our emotions thar we are not even aware of....Dynah really has no idea how or why her routine was disrupted or the fact that suddenly she found herself in an unfamiliar place surrounded by unfamiliar scents sounds sights.... she does not associate all of that with you,try to go about your business as usual. The back porch is not her usual hang out,right?- if she never went to the Vet she'd of reacted in the same way when you were both surprised unexpectedly

I believe most cats from outside do carry FHV and it's the usual cause of conjuctiva when it " flares up"-actually statistics are that 50% of ALL cats have FHV and show no signs- so many owners are completely unaware these cats are FHV positive as it's not usually tested for if not upon request- a positive result doesn't even mean the cat is sick because it's so common in asymptomatic cats... in latent state blood tests are certainly not accurate (PCR tests detect most accurately only during active stage).... so truly typically not definitive

You may want to consider supplementing with L-lysine great support for eyes & upper respiratory ( viral)..... ask the Vet regarding prevention &reactivation of latent infections

That 3 yr distemper vax is great potect from URI. You did well at the Vet---Dynah has the best Dad a Lil girl could ever have

Dinah Doll

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Thanks TT and Kwik! It is a great relief for me that she was examined by a good vet and treated for the roundworm. Piece of mind goes a very long way.

As you may know, Dynah is very not vocal at all. She meowed for me 1 time so far. This morning, the security cam caught her meowing quite loudly while looking out her windows from the cattree. Very different behavior. Maybe it was just a vocal relief of being back in her favorite spot? Who knows why. But it surprised me. Oh, and one of the windows was closed when she came home. When she did get in that window sill, she was pawing at it as to try to get it open. I came in and opened it and after I left the room, she was sitting in the opened window seemingly very happy!

So she will get back to normal but it will take some time. Thanks guys,...time to update some more info on the Home Again site:hellocomputer:

Dinah Doll

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Dynah Update:

Hello again guys. It has been a week since Dynah came home from the vets. So here is what is going on and please if you have any thoughts, do chime in. I have highlighted a few questions for you.

She is eating much less. I am wondering if this is because of the meds they gave her to rid her of the roundworms? Maybe she feels more "full" since the worms are no longer in her intestines? I dunno. But she is eating but only in the late evening. Yesterday she was in her cubby in the cat-tree for almost 12 hours. She came out to use the litter in the other room once during that time.

She seems to begin her evening routine around 7:30pm. She begins to roam the house for a while but usually goes back to "hiding" in the cat-tree until I go to bed.

Then she roams almost constantly going from room to room, window to window. She will take little breaks and then back to roaming. It is like she is doing all of her "activity" now, while I sleep. Then in the morning, she goes back in the cat-tree seemingly right before I get up.

She did on a couple of occasions, walk down to the kitchen to where I was and look at me, then back to her cattree. She does seem really comfortable in her cat-tree. I think she may be sleeping better too. Do you guys think that perhaps the killing of the roundworms she is really "feeling and sleeping better?

So I think she is really wary of me and the chasing and fighting her into the carrier really took a toll on her trust in me. Can anyone share a similar experience you had with one of your ferals after they came back from a long stay at the vet.? I am just not sure Dynah will get back to where she was with me as far as trust.

Also, a few nights back she was crying by the windows a few times as if she wanted out. That was heartbreaking to hear on the security cam. She did "paw " at the one window too. But she has not cried at all from what I can tell since that night.
And, I had washed all of her bedding from her bed and I think the "skirt" that she hides in must not agree with her as I changed that too. She wont stay under the bed and was shaking her head of sort of sneezing". I have since changed that sheet again. SO,.. we shall see if that fixes that problem.

So thanks again folks. I may just be worried too much. I know Dynah will never want to be touched but I am hoping she will get back to trusting me as far as she did before! BTW,..she also has stopped "playing" with her toys. She almost played with a marble in the carpeted room but gave up a few nights ago.

Last edited:

fluffpaws

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hi Greg and Dynah
My guess is that she's just being cautious right now,I"m sure being away from her safe home for 3 days was quite traumatic for her, different people, different smells and strange animals .The not knowing what was going to happen next.I am sure she was absolutely delighted to see you and to be going home.We never really know what is going on in their crazy little minds 🤗
One problem I have with my feral girl is I hate to break the trust she has in me, it took so long to earn it. The other day I had to put her flea med on and she spun around and gave me the stink eyes, as if to say how dare you put that poison on me😊 and now she smells her food to make sure I didn't put anything in it before she eats it.
She has been in with me for over 2 years now.I find any little deviation from her normal routine throws her into a tail spin.
But this too will pass and I also believe Dynah will get her happy little playful self back and in time you will be her bestie again 😻As you know everything with ferals takes longer,one step forward 2 steps back!!! It plan stinks but sometimes we have to be the bad guy for their own good.
Unfortunately . It's never a quick walk with ferals, it's a long and sometimes hard journey.Just be yourself, give her ,her space and she will figure it out.
I would imagine she's catching up on her rest right now, she probably was on high alert the whole time she was at the vet.
She knows she's safe now and the trust will come back in time.You are doing an amazing job with her and deep down she knows how lucky she is to have you in her life ❤

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
She may, indeed, be eating less because she is not longer "starving to death from the inside out." No more pesky worms stealing her nutrition. Just watch her for a few days, to make sure she isn't losing any more weight.

As for her routine, I'd say it is about right for a feral cat. They are far, far more active at night, when it is "safer" for them. Cats born in homes tend to adjust their routines to their human's routines, to a large extent...although it is much of the reason for those 3-4 AM zoomies. Dynah is simply patrolling her territory, making sure that there are no intruders.

Dinah Doll

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Hi Greg and Dynah
My guess is that she's just being cautious right now,I"m sure being away from her safe home for 3 days was quite traumatic for her, different people, different smells and strange animals .The not knowing what was going to happen next.I am sure she was absolutely delighted to see you and to be going home.We never really know what is going on in their crazy little minds 🤗
One problem I have with my feral girl is I hate to break the trust she has in me, it took so long to earn it. The other day I had to put her flea med on and she spun around and gave me the stink eyes, as if to say how dare you put that poison on me😊 and now she smells her food to make sure I didn't put anything in it before she eats it.
She has been in with me for over 2 years now.I find any little deviation from her normal routine throws her into a tail spin.
But this too will pass and I also believe Dynah will get her happy little playful self back and in time you will be her bestie again 😻As you know everything with ferals takes longer,one step forward 2 steps back!!! It plan stinks but sometimes we have to be the bad guy for their own good.
Unfortunately . It's never a quick walk with ferals, it's a long and sometimes hard journey.Just be yourself, give her ,her space and she will figure it out.
I would imagine she's catching up on her rest right now, she probably was on high alert the whole time she was at the vet.
She knows she's safe now and the trust will come back in time.You are doing an amazing job with her and deep down she knows how lucky she is to have you in her life ❤
Hey fluffpaws. Thank you for your reply and for your supportive answers here. Dynah is certainly a "different animal" for sure! I really think she is a unique one.

I agree, I think she is "happy" to be back in her current home 🙂. As far as seeing me....prolly not so much 😅

You reassured me of my needed patience.

I appreciate you sharing your story with your feral girl too ...that really helps me with my situation 😀 and, yes, I just need to be myself and go forward with baby steps!

These ferals are difficult. But with good support from sites like this one, they can be given good homes. Thank you again!

tabbytom

Staff Member
Mentor
Purraise
So thanks again folks. I may just be worried too much. I know Dynah will never want to be touched but I am hoping she will get back to trusting me as far as she did before! BTW,..she also has stopped "playing" with her toys. She almost played with a marble in the carpeted room but gave up a few nights ago.
First, I would say, yes, don't worry too much. Cats can sense our emotions and that will make them uneasy too. I also agree with what the above posters mentioned.

Yes, Dynah will continue to trust you in her own ways. It's only through constant interactions and love will bring the better out of her but we must not expect to much from her. We have to accept her as she is even though changes are slow.

She is thankful that after the vet she came back to where she belonged and not to another strange place so with this, she feels at home.

Cats have routines and habits and habits change all the time like places to sleep or toys they play with. They too have their own daily routines and they sleep most of the time.

Roaming around the house is normal and that gives them more confidence in the surroundings. They may often check out different spots in the house and maybe they heard some noise or there's bird there and after checking out, they go back to three favourite roosting place which can be any where. Also, Dynah is watching you from a distance, not because she is weary of you, she is a lap cat but nit necessary to be on your lap to be a lap cat. Cats watch you from a distance and anywhere is a lap cat in their own ways, they have you in their line of sight.

Have more interaction time with her at close quarters son that you can reach out to her with a short distance so that you don't look intimidating and showing your hand is a threat to her. Have a treat or toy and let her sniff your closed fist. While her nose is near your fist, just move slowly and rub your fist on her face. Do tis often till she gets use to it and slowly advance to the top of her head. Never touch her belly.

Greg, You have gone pretty far with Dynah and you are doing great. Just remember, love, patience and routine rules the day.

Dinah Doll

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Have more interaction time with her at close quarters son that you can reach out to her with a short distance so that you don't look intimidating and showing your hand is a threat to her. Have a treat or toy and let her sniff your closed fist. While her nose is near your fist, just move slowly and rub your fist on her face. Do tis often till she gets use to it and slowly advance to the top of her head. Never touch her belly.
Hi TT. Thanks again for your detailed post.
But you must know, Dynah never has let me get close enough to touch her at all.

This feral is truly a different animal. Over time, it may be possible to attempt interaction such as touching.
But she refuses to be touched by anyone. Even the vets techs, mentioned her negative demeaner. I wish she would let her guard down even just a little.
She was letting me get close IF I laid down on the floor to her level. Then as she gained more trust, i would attempt to touch her paw with a soft toy. At first, she would jump back. If I tried to get anywhere near her head then NOWAY. Then, after a week or so later i would try again. Again she would jump back. Then, after a while she knew i would try and get closer to her and scoot to the back part of her bed! I mean....wow! What a wary girl. Sooo frustrating.
Now, after back from the vets, it is like just erasing the last 3 months of progress.

So i am just trying to show just how incredibly stubborn this girl is.

But I do appreciate everybody's input. I just tried to give her a fresh picked catnip leaf, and I got a little too close to her cattree cubby hole and i got a little hiss again.

I will update again as usual. I almost forgot....thunderstorm today...she ran under her bed and i think stayed under skirt for 1/2 hour. So replacing the bedsheet must have worked 🙂

Thanks folks!

Last edited:

pearl99

Pearl, my labrador who loved cats. RIP.
Top Cat
Purraise
I think convince yourself that this is how she will be for a long time. Not trying to be negative, but trying to relieve you of stress and frustration. I feel like what would be good is laying down with her in the room, or sit in reading a book, things like that, and maybe stay at that level for awhile. Take a break :);) and a deep breath :grouphug:

tabbytom

Staff Member
Mentor
Purraise
Hi TT. Thanks again for your detailed post.
But you must know, Dynah never has let me get close enough to touch her at all.
B23897A4-51D3-4BD3-9BCF-7803C930DEA6$L0$001~photo.GIF

The more time spent with her the better. Even though she does not let you ever touch touch her at this moment, it's ok. just stay with her, lay beside her, talk to her and doing all things close to or next to her just as pearl99 pearl99 mentioned will definitely help her.
You are the only one she trust and so the battle is not over as yet but it'll be won one day. Never give up.

Kwik

Animals are Blessings
Top Cat
Purraise
Here's a little tip,if these things are something you can do- great,if not it's understandable

Many folks are very happy to transition ferals to living indoors and provide them with everything they need,they are patient loving people with no expectations.... often resolved to the fact( false btw) that the cat will just probably never be this or that

If that works for someone,fine imo- that one more feral that is safe,healthy and has been given a chance to live out a long life..... it doesn't work for me personally

Reason being is because I'm a behavorist( certified ) and a trainer and my own personal goals are to not only transition but to recondition behavior- there is no difference between a feral and a domestic except for behavior- their DNA is a domestic animal,their behavior is a result of conditioning from their environment and lack of socialization

So now the environment has changed and you can either recondition with socialization or let them simply acclimate to the new environment and WAIT- usually they have too many options and will continue to behave as they have as a means to survive becsuse - mainly they are given too much territory with many places to avoid,cats prefer avoidance to confrontation

When working with ferals it's always best to confine them to a small space with few hiding places ,spend as much time as possible in that space and after the initial 30 days where that space becomes their established territory you begin bringing them out of hiding with their feedings,closer and closer to you

People have busy lives,many must work x hours a day- reconditioning is a full time job and requires between 4 to 8 hrs a day

So if you have that time and want to recondition (any) cat into a socially interactive companion then there are ways to do that in roughly 90 days( where you are at least petting the cat)

I spent a month sleeping on the floor next to Timmy's enclosure...... over the years I spent many nights sleeping next to a cage throughout the years to be there for morning feed and pose no threat all night while kitty learns my scent and watches me sleep,hears me talking etc.....

I didn't expect Timmy to be a lap cat or the cuddle bug he has become but surely I knew he'd follow me around ,enjoy petting and we'd be friends .... I'm not a miracle worker and he's not a one off- I spent 24/7 with this cat for many many month's to not give him options to continue in his behavior patterns- he had no place to go,no reason to hide and learned that I am trustworthy.....I never once forced myself on him but I became part of his territory,a very familiar,non threatening part of his new environment

You see a little about the change in environment- all thst changes for most transitioned ferals is they no longer need to hunt,there's no need for them to change their avoidance behavior......the wonderful thing is they are social creatures and very curious so eventually they come to feel safe enough to investigate and come around for companionship.....they thrive well having companions,to me fear means they are not living their BEST life but they don't know that,we do

Anyway,I don't talk much about reconditioning mostly because I've tried for 4 decades with much resistance ..... it always begins with feeding though,they have to eat so that's our initial point of contact