Please help. Unsure if my kitten’s spay site looks normal. (Graphic photos!)

OpalKitty

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I am a first time cat owner and I’m worried sick about my cat’s spay. She just had the operation yesterday. It’s not bleeding or oozing, it isn’t hot and it doesn’t smell. But it does look open to me. She has internal sutures and the site was glued. Unfortunately I didn’t get a photo yesterday, but it looked open then too and bloody. She’s licked at it but not aggressively, just normal grooming. I really wanted to put the E-Collar on her (even though the vet said it wasn’t necessary unless she really wouldn’t leave it alone) but she was growling so much and freaking out, and got it off. I haven’t attempted again because I don’t want to stress her out anymore. She was in heat at the time of her spay if this changes anything about how the vet would choose to close the incision? Does anyone have any experience with a spay that looked like this? Sorry this is so long-winded but I’m obviously an anxious wreck. Thank you so much!!
4DE2D516-E3EB-4E27-98EF-EDFBD1E7F639.jpeg
4DE2D516-E3EB-4E27-98EF-EDFBD1E7F639.jpeg 1F620CCF-7C99-4E31-B0F4-2A2A1AA763E3.jpeg B8BF3387-BB37-45EE-BDD5-FCA198A50C52.jpeg 3A9C2E49-6CF1-4836-9271-FC27CAECCF24.jpeg

Meowmee

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Opal is gorgeous❤ A tortie sealpoint 😻 I would email the pic to your dvm and bring her in for a look see just to be sure. It does not look terrible to me.

There are special onesy suits she can wear to stop her from licking it etc.

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
It looks good! I'm pretty sure the dark part is just staining from the surgical betadine, that should fade as she cleans it. It looks like your vet did an understitch so it shouldn't be possible for the cat to pull out her stitches. But, of course, if anything concerns you at any point, it definitely wouldn't hurt to send a quick picture to your vet for confirmation :).

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

OpalKitty

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Opal is gorgeous❤ A tortie sealpoint 😻 I would email the pic to your dvm and bring her in for a look see just to be sure. It does not look terrible to me.

There are special onesy suits she can wear to stop her from licking it etc.
Thank you ❤ isn’t she? And thank you so much for responding! Since it’s only been a day, I’m going to keep an eye on it and try to calm down before taking her to the vet. Last night I put a recovery suit on her to ease my worries!
Thanks again 🐱

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

OpalKitty

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
It looks good! I'm pretty sure the dark part is just staining from the surgical betadine, that should fade as she cleans it. It looks like your vet did an understitch so it shouldn't be possible for the cat to pull out her stitches. But, of course, if anything concerns you at any point, it definitely wouldn't hurt to send a quick picture to your vet for confirmation :).
Thank you so much for responding ❤ It made me feel so much better. I put a recovery suit on her just to be safe because it seemed like she started to groom it more excessively and using teeth. I’m going to check it twice a day. 🐱