Please help!! Trying to reintroduce 2 cats who loved each other after redirected aggression

luvmyfurkids

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hello I am here to seek some advice about reintroducing 2 cats who grew up together and loved each other (cuddling,grooming, playing, etc) until an episode of redirected aggression recently

About a week ago they got into a very bad fight for some unknown reason. I heard it but did not see it. They continued to fight again until I separated them. No windows were open and no other changes happened that night. Just a normal night.

I have been keeping them separated in 2 bedrooms since then and doing sock exchanges/ blanket exchanges. Neither showed much reaction to the blankets/socks but they do have some reactive behavior hissing/growling/licking lips when going into the other's room. I am backing off on room exchanges and just letting them have free roam one at a time in the rest of the house.

I am so nervous and scared that they will never like each other again. I am also afraid that the boys will become upset when walking by the others closed door.

I know taking it slow and reintroducing is the right thing. I am just very stressed about the tight steps.

Does anyone have experience with this type of situation?
What can I do to create positive association if I am the only one at home?
What are the steps to reintroduce 2 cats that previously loved one another?

Any help you can provide will be greatly appreciated by me. I am one stressed mama. I just want my family back together.

Thank you!!!

oneandahalfcats

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Hi there,

Sorry to read that this is happening. You are right to take things slow. Eventually they will work this out or come to a place where they will develop a means of co-existence. The important thing is to remain calm and not react in front of them. Also, if you can recall what is was that triggered the aggression, be on the look out for the signs and try to avoid or head things off before it happens. My male Max (pictured), sometimes becomes aggressive with the other two when I have come home from being out, and also at the time when all cats are due for a feeding. The majority of the time he is a loving, very easy-going and good-natured boy who often engages in cuddling and long lick-fests with Thomas. Thomas (Tuxedo) usually instigates this. He was only a few months old last year and was the sweetest and kindest little guy, but this year I have noticed that he is getting bolder and more adventurous like a teenager. As for Max acting aggressively at times, it doesn't happen often but is something I watch out for. When I come home now, I give each cat a special greeting and reinforcement as a means of diffusing situations in advance. I also talk to the cats when its feeding time. Call me crazy but I feel this has the effect of taking their minds of each other.

Some things to try :

1. One on one time with each cat. Engage them in play and talk to them.

2. If you can, get together with with a friend or relative and have both cats in the same room. While you are interacting with one cat, your friend does the same. Then switch cats and continue interacting. This creates an atmosphere where the cats are interacting with you but can see each other and register the moment as positive and safe. Then if this goes well, you can try sitting with both cats one on either side of you, and see how this goes. Always talking to them and petting each of them. If someone reacts negatively, then put them back in separate areas, all the while talking quietly and with encouragement.

3. Sometimes rubbing your fingers along the upper lip and whisker area of one cat and then doing the same to the other, can have the effect of transferring facial pheromones from one cat to another so they can get used to each other. Placing Feliway plug-ins in the eating and litterbox areas can also be helpful.

You may need to do some of these things a few times but hopefully you should see some positive results. Hope this helps and best of luck.

Last edited:
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter

luvmyfurkids

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thank you very much for the information. Right now I think they are probably a little too reactive to have them face to face. This is based on the reaction of the slightly more Alpha cat when I tried to switch rooms yesterday. He was pretty reactive with hissing, growling etc.

I worry that by putting them near each other unrestricted that they might have another bad experience and form bad associations with their best buddy.

I have been doing the blanket exchanges and brushing each with the same brush. That's going good and neither cares about smelling the other one on the blanket

I just worry so much and I know they sense it. So hard for me not to though and it's hard for me to see them out of their normal life and routine.

Has anyone else had 2 buddy cats suddenly fight like this? Were they able to get over it in time? Do you have positive stories?

I just feel so worried but I am will let them set the pace. It's just good to hear positive stories. That helps to elevate my fears.

Thanks!!!!!

tdonline

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
It seems quite a few of us are going through friends now enemies situation.  Click on my posts and you'll see my story.  I plan on updating any progress and...regress made.

One thing I'veone d is to put them in their carriers and have them hang out with me on the sofa.  Initially, I blocked their view of each other.  Then I allowed the view but not directly.  Then I put them in direct view and they've been less than two feet away from each other.  All throughout they get treats.  No hissing or growling.  But one of them is still reactive when she sees her sister outside of the carrier (through slit of a sliding door).  I've stopped going any further as I'm going away for the holiday season.  I'll pick it up in January.  I hope to progress from the closed door to a large window screen as a gate.

frenetic mango

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Thank you very much for the information. Right now I think they are probably a little too reactive to have them face to face. This is based on the reaction of the slightly more Alpha cat when I tried to switch rooms yesterday. He was pretty reactive with hissing, growling etc.

I worry that by putting them near each other unrestricted that they might have another bad experience and form bad associations with their best buddy.

I have been doing the blanket exchanges and brushing each with the same brush. That's going good and neither cares about smelling the other one on the blanket

I just worry so much and I know they sense it. So hard for me not to though and it's hard for me to see them out of their normal life and routine.

Has anyone else had 2 buddy cats suddenly fight like this? Were they able to get over it in time? Do you have positive stories?

I just feel so worried but I am will let them set the pace. It's just good to hear positive stories. That helps to elevate my fears.

Thanks!!!!!
Hi, I am going through this now and am also really wanting to read some success stories. My two girls used to be this as thieves. Did you ever get your cats back together?