please help. Semi urgent

gailc

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I have sinus problems off and on. One thing is to make sure you are drinking lots of fluids.
You may need to sleep more upright so your sinus can drain. If you can get to a drugstore/vitamin shoppe look for a neti pot-it will help flush the gunk from your sinus's.
I have found if I take too much stuff it travels from my sinus's and I get bronchitus.
A steamy shower or stand over a pot of simmering water with a towel over your head to trap the steam works too.

jellybella

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by CarolPetunia

Fewer meds, more steam. Plain saline nasal spray. Hot decaf tea. Doctor if you can possibly swing it.

I know how miserable it is to feel the way you're feeling... hang in there, hon.
My thoughts exactly...you can keep doing the nasal spray and steam thing without raising your blood pressure or risking a drug interaction.

you're feeling better soon...

buzbyjlc10

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
State College, PA and Haddon Township, NJ
Originally Posted by Worriedmommy

You should try a Neti Pot. It is to clear out your sinus area. You might have to do it several times since you are so clogged though. Here is what one looks like: http://www.neilmed.com/usa/netipot_a...FQIqswodN1KvCg

I hope you feel better soon.
That's the same company that makes the sinus rinse kit I was talking about... the one I have is a clear bottle with a black lid just called "Niel Med Sinus Rinse" it works wonders!

lorina

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Campbell's Select Mexican Tortilla Soup is my go-to food when I'm stuffed up. It's just spicey enough to clear my sinuses. And it's yummy.

I also take really hot steamy showers, and try to "power blow" (gross, I know) while in the shower. Sometimes even snorting water from my hand into my nose to help flush it out, then power blowing. Yeah, I'm so ladylike.
It's a gross habit I picked up from my husband, but it helps.

momofmany

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by Pat & Alix

You say very hot salsa, I say tabasco
It sure does help me get things draining
My husband, of Polish descent claims that horseradish is also known as Polish Dristan. Tabasco, salsa, horseradish, or anything with heat will make your sinuses drain.

laureen227

Darksome Duo!
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Momofmany

My husband, of Polish descent claims that horseradish is also known as Polish Dristan. Tabasco, salsa, horseradish, or anything with heat will make your sinuses drain.
did any of you ever see that "Nanny" episode, where Fran eats the wasabi?
she talked normally for about a minute!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

renovia

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
All right - I can breathe about 80% perfectly right now. I finally got to sleep and I slept until 6:30 got up for a couple of hours then went back to bed until 11:00. I needed that - I was so sleep deprived. I took a hot shower and I've been able to blow my nose a lot more today. I think I have a sinus infection - could my allergies have caused that?

Thank you everyone for your advice - I had forgotten about spicy foods!~

pat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I am glad to hear you got some sleep...continued feel better and better being sent your way.

laureen227

Darksome Duo!
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Renovia

All right - I can breathe about 80% perfectly right now. I finally got to sleep and I slept until 6:30 got up for a couple of hours then went back to bed until 11:00. I needed that - I was so sleep deprived. I took a hot shower and I've been able to blow my nose a lot more today. I think I have a sinus infection - could my allergies have caused that?

if it's an infection, your mucus will usually be this poisonous green color.
with colds, it's usually more yellow, & with allergies, clear or white.

catkiki

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Momofmany

So that's why my homemade salsa makes my nose run! The last batch I made was sooooo hot!

But I am glad you are feeling better and got some sleep!

KitEKats4Eva!

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by theimp98

i was going to the say, try the spray also.
or go stick your head in something with lots of steam. to loosen it up.

My Mum swears by Vicks Vaporub for almost everything. Put a teaspoon in a bowl of steaming water, stick a towel over your head and the bowl and breath it in. Works wonders.

If you don't have Vicks, a couple of drops of Peppermint Oil will do the same trick.

Good luck - it's rotten to have a stuffy nose!

mom of 4

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Actually, most allergists no longer go by the color of the drainage to identify sinus infections. It used to be green, yellow or grayish drainage was considered to be a sign of infection. And both bacterial and viral drainage can be any of the colors. Clear drainge often occurs with a cold, which is viral. White drainage has a high leukocyte component, which is a sign that your body is fighting off something.

You can have a sinus infection with no visible draignage - IMO, the worst of the sinus infections and the one I have most often. I call it concrete head. It can also cause migraine type pain.

You have four pairs of sinuses - the pair in your forehead, the pair in you cheeks, a pair that is under the center part on the top of your head ( a lttle lower, but hard to describe) and another pair below that. It is possible, and quite common, for you to have infection in one or a pair of sinuses and not in the others.

The doctors are really trying to avoid overusing antibiotics like they used to do. It is possible to get over a mild sinus infection without antibiotics, but when you are resorting to extreme measures, you need to see the doctor.

dusty's mom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Get a Netti Pot and use it twice a day! Ask your pharmacist about it or google it. Works for me!

Or use a plain saline nasal spray. No Afrin! That will cause a rebound effect.

laureen227

Darksome Duo!
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Dusty's Mom

Get a Netti Pot and use it twice a day! Ask your pharmacist about it or google it. Works for me!

Or use a plain saline nasal spray. No Afrin! That will cause a rebound effect.
according to the bottle, you can use it [or the generic oxymetazoline HCL spray] for 3 days w/o concerns w/rebound.

meowers

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
in our society, people seem to frown upon taking time to get better...and thats what you probaby need. I bet with alot of sleep you'll get better, I used to be on antibiotics all the time for sinus infections but then I got a doc who didn't want to use them and it broke the cycle. I know its hard to get over them, but you wil. This is the first year I got a flu shot, and I swear to you it has made all the diference, so has EmergenC! I take it several times a day every single day, and haven't been sick in almost a whole year...i used to be sick every other week it seems.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

renovia

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Hi every one about my sinuses, when I get a really good blow it 'feels like it comes out of my brain and It's green. Gross I know. A couple of times yesterday I breathe normally

sarahp

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by BuzbyJLC10

That's the same company that makes the sinus rinse kit I was talking about... the one I have is a clear bottle with a black lid just called "Niel Med Sinus Rinse" it works wonders!
Same!

I think I have a sinus infection - could my allergies have caused that?

I find that if my allergies are really bad I seem more susceptible to what seems like a sinus infection. And I love a really spicy curry for a sinus infection.

Originally Posted by KitEKats4Eva!

My Mum swears by Vicks Vaporub for almost everything. Put a teaspoon in a bowl of steaming water, stick a towel over your head and the bowl and breath it in. Works wonders.
That's what I was going to say!!! Must be an Aussie thing

laureen227

Darksome Duo!
Top Cat
Purraise

Hi every one about my sinuses, when I get a really good blow it 'feels like it comes out of my brain and It's green. Gross I know. A couple of times yesterday I breathe normally
sounds like an infection to me... that's what my sinus infections always feel like. i think a doctor visit is in order!