Please Help - Reintroducing Cats

Sikhar

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I have 2 female cats, half a year difference in age, and they have been together for a little over 4 years, since they were little. They were never really affectionate with one another, but would always clean each other, sleep near each other, and play together. A few days ago, something happened between them and they fought worse than I've ever seen - it looked like one was about to kill the other. There was claws, growling, howling and hissing. I believe it was food related, but it was so sudden I can't be sure. I separated them into 2 rooms, set up with their bed, food, water, litter, and some toys. I have been letting them out one at a time in the house. They seem calm, but kind of alert and possibly a little nervous about the whereabouts of the other cat every time one leaves their room.
How do I know when I can let them see each other? They've been separated for 5 days and I can see them getting antsy about being locked up for half a day at a time. I have tried feeding them with only a door in between them - the more aggressive cat seemed ok with it, and the submissive cat had to back up about a foot and then ate her food. Is it time to reintroduce them? Is it too soon? How will I know when I can trust them to not hurt each other? Please help!

jsmith125

Lucifer is my fur baby <3
Young Cat
Purraise
Is there a middle ground somewhere you could put a baby gate/dog gate up? Like a hallway or doorway? I've seen this work in a few situations, the cats can see and smell each other but there is still a physical separation between the two should something happen. Are either of them fixed or if not, in heat? I know males can get territorial, females I am not sure but it is something to look in to. Maybe also try joint play with them. As far as feeding and re introducing them, put them in the same general area, feed at the same time, but put their food bowls on opposite ends of the room and make sure the door is left open or that they have an open area to the rest of the house so if needed they can distance themselves after eating. You could also try this with the baby gate; feed one on one side and one on the other but still at the same time and where they can see each other. Good luck!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Sikhar

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thank you for your advice... it's really hard to make these decisions on your own! I will try your tips and let them see each other today, probably with the baby gate and see what happens. They are both spayed, and have never had a problem sharing our house. Hopefully they work it out over the next few days. Thanks!!

jsmith125

Lucifer is my fur baby <3
Young Cat
Purraise
Thank you for your advice... it's really hard to make these decisions on your own! I will try your tips and let them see each other today, probably with the baby gate and see what happens. They are both spayed, and have never had a problem sharing our house. Hopefully they work it out over the next few days. Thanks!!
No problem! Here are some links I found that might help as well, plenty of tips and information!

Think Like a Cat:Reintroduction Method | Pam Johnson-Bennett

Reintroducing Best Friend Cats after 5 days Separation due to Surgery and Recuperation