Please Help - read post and view pictures

Blueyez87

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi,

My kitten is 5 1/2 months old. He is small for his age and ever since we got him he has had diarrhoea.

Initially we found he was full of worms. We have regularly given him wormer and a faecal screening done by the vet a couple of months ago found no sign of parasites. Granted, it was a basic screening but he's showing none of the signs of having worms.

Lately, alongside the diarrhoea he has been leaking clear/brown liquid.

He has been on and off probiotics and antibiotics, both of which seem to help while he's taking them, but not long after they're stopped he goes back to diarrhoea and leaking.

Diet wise he has hypoallergenic wet food, all one flavour. He has never been short on appetite and has roughly three pouches a day.

He is active, playful and never seems to be otherwise affected by his issue.

What I'm asking for help for is a recent issue involving what seems to be a protrusion from his anus. He has seen the vet who hasn't been able to identify what the issue is. They have prescibed him antibiotics as it appeared to be infected. This has cleared up but now today we have noticed that the protrusion/lump has gotten bigger and now there is a second one.

Has anyone seen this before or know what this might be? I have added a picture with the post to show you what I mean.
IMG-20210307-WA0000.jpg

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi. The vet didn't think it was due to an anal/rectal prolapse? Here are a couple of articles about it (see below). Perhaps they might help you to confirm or rule out this condition, while you wait to hear from other members.
I also included another article related to anal gland issues, just in case.

Rectal Prolapse in Cats - Causes, Treatment and Surgery Options (animalwised.com)
Protrusion of the Rectum and Anus in Cats | PetMD
Anal Gland Disease In Cats: Symptoms, Causes, & Treatments - CatTime

fionasmom

Staff Member
Purraise
To me this looks like a prolapse. Maybe the angle of the pic makes it seem to protrude more than it is in reality. I would be concerned about the protruding area as it can develop issues. It can't just stay like that for the rest of his life.

mrsgreenjeens

Every Life Should Have Nine Cats
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Iwould agree with the above. As far as the diarrhea/leaking, has he been tested for Giardia? If he hasn't been tested, or hasn't been tested recently, I would ask for that test. If THAT doesn't yield anything, then you could ask for the more expensive PCR test that delves deeper for less common parasites. Obviously something is causing it. Although...what is that hyperallergenic food he's on? Can you give us the ingredient list here?