Please Help!! (question About Clavamox)

joyfulrose

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
My cat was given antibiotics for an infection. Clavamox. (0.8cc two times a day) last night I gave her the first dose at 10:30pm, after about 2 hours she vomited (it was thick and whiteish) she then refused to eat or drink anything for a couple hours and she looked really weak and ill. A few hours later around 5am she started to drink some water again and I got her to eat some treats and some nutrical. I got really scared after seeing her this way so I decided not to give her the next dose which was suppose to be at 10:30 am. I called the vet and let them know what happened and they said the doctor would call me back and he has not gotten back to me yet. Now I am feeling really worried because I have been reading you SHOULDN'T stop antibiotics once they are started or the infection can get worse. Can someone please help, I don't know what I should do and I can't get a hold of her vet. Should i give her another dose at 10:30pm again and skip the missed one? Or should I wait and not give her anything right now?

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi. One of the possible side effects of Clavamox is vomiting (see article below). As with human antibiotics it should be administered with food. However, I don't know what you do about that once they're vomiting - seems counterproductive.
Side Effects of Clavamox for Cats

There a multitude of other antibiotics that might be appropriate. Keep calling the vet until you can talk to someone - and, I would suggest you ask if another antibiotic can be tried.

I don't know what kind of infection you're talking about, but you could ask if Orbax would be a good replacement for Clavamox. I have used Orbax repeatedly with Feeby over the past year or so when she was having recurring UTIs. She didn't have a problem with it, although I did feed her right afterward.

Last edited:
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter

joyfulrose

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Hi. One of the possible side effects of Clavamox is vomiting (see article below). As with human antibiotics it should be administered with food. However, I don't know what you do about that once they're vomiting - seems counterproductive.
Side Effects of Clavamox for Cats

There a multitude of other antibiotics that might be appropriate. Keep calling the vet until you can talk to someone - and, I would suggest you ask if another antibiotic can be tried.

I don't know what kind of infection you're talking about, but you could ask if Orbax would be a good replacement for Clavamox. I have used Orbax repeatedly with Feeby over the past year or so when she was having recurring UTIs. She didn't have a problem with it, although I did feed her right afterward.
I finally got a hold of them and they asked me what antibiotics she has taken before and was ok with. I told them she had taken amoxidrops once before about 6 months ago and didn't have any issues with vomiting or loss if appetite. But she did have some diarrhea on the amoxi drops (I figure that's normal with any antibiotic) anyway, so I went to pick up the amoxi drops and when I came home I realized that they gave me the DOGS ONLY version! I'm so glad I checked the bottle before giving it to her.... But now it's been more than 24 hrs she's has been off of antibiotics... I will ask about orbax but the vet told me he isn't sure exactly what type of infection she has, that he would need to do an ultra sound or xrays to get more information. What we know from the blood tests is that - she has anemia, pancreatitis, some inflammation, coravirus( but he said it could be benign) and some type of infection...

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
If the amoxidrops has worked for her in the past, just stick with those - that is, after you trudge back to the vet to get the feline version!! It might be better if she is switching antibiotics, for the first one to wear off before giving a new one anyway (regarding the 24 hours).

Orbax, I believe is more potent than Clavamox, but I don't think it is as broad spectrum, so since the vet is treating for an unspecified infection, it might not be as appropriate.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

joyfulrose

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I just got off the phone with them telling them they accidentally gave me the dog version of amoxi drops and not the feline one and they said that I can just try it and if anything happens to bring my cat In! I cannot believe them! I know for a fact there are amoxi drops for cats and dogs because I have given them to her before but this one they gave me says in all caps FOR DOGS ONLY. I'm so upset i feel like they dont care about my cat and i no longer feel comfortable with this vet.