PLEASE help!! My mama cat is gone! And the kittens are 3 weeks old!!

persiancatlover

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hello i'm posting on this forum because I have a HUGE problem. My mama cat is gone! Unfortunately one of my kids accidently let the door open and sure enough she got out! This is horrible because our mama cat has five 3 week old kittens that haven't nursed for about 3 hours. I'm going outside of my house every 10 minutes practically calling her name,opening/shaking cat food, and even bringing out some babies so she can hear their cry. I really don't know what to do at this point. Now I have another cat that kinda likes the kittens. Shes not pregnant or anything like that so she can't produce milk but she does lick them and cuddles them. In my mind I think she wants to be a mother as well but one mama cat is enough for us. Anyway what should I do? I don't know if she will come back though. So should I go to Pet's Mart or something and pick up some kitten milk and bottles? Any little bit of help is much appreciated and needed at this point. Sincerely, Evelyn.

tnr1

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by persiancatlover

Hello i'm posting on this forum because I have a HUGE problem. My mama cat is gone! Unfortunately one of my kids accidently let the door open and sure enough she got out! This is horrible because our mama cat has five 3 week old kittens that haven't nursed for about 3 hours. I'm going outside of my house every 10 minutes practically calling her name,opening/shaking cat food, and even bringing out some babies so she can hear their cry. I really don't know what to do at this point. Now I have another cat that kinda likes the kittens. Shes not pregnant or anything like that so she can't produce milk but she does lick them and cuddles them. In my mind I think she wants to be a mother as well but one mama cat is enough for us. Anyway what should I do? I don't know if she will come back though. So should I go to Pet's Mart or something and pick up some kitten milk and bottles? Any little bit of help is much appreciated and needed at this point. Sincerely, Evelyn.
Evelyn....yes, you need to pick up some KMR and start feeding these kittens. Please do not take the other cats actions as her wanting to be a mom. She may be instinctively helping these kittens..but if she isn't fixed, the best thing is to have her fixed. As for when to feed the kittens....this is a really good site:

http://www.kitten-rescue.com/kitten_..._schedule.html

As to your mom that got outside:

Most people don’t differentiate between searching for a dog and searching for a cat, which is a huge mistake, because they are like apples and oranges. Cats are territorial, so when an indoor cat escapes outside, they feel displaced into unfamiliar territory. A displaced cat (and also an injured or sick cat) will hide and they will be silent. So walking around and calling the cat’s name doesn’t work.

What that cat does is to look for the first place where she can hide, and she will stay there. We’ve had people who have recovered their cats six weeks later, and the cat was two houses down, living under the neighbor’s house or under their deck.

We’ve actually recovered lots of cats by treating them like ferals and setting a humane trap. These cats will sit there and watch and even listen to their person calling, but they will usually not respond.

Eventually, some of them will reach a threshold point between the seventh and tenth day where they finally do meow or they go into the humane trap, but many of them, especially the ones with skittish temperaments, just continue to hide.

As for a cat who is used to going outside, we really do advocate making your cats indoor-only. However, if an indoor/outdoor cat does go missing, it may be that they’ve been chased by a dog or beat up by another cat. They may run into an unfamiliar area, and they may hide in fear as well, or than can be transported out of the area by crawling into a car or the back of a truck.

Outdoor cats are still territorial. They don’t generally travel great distances by themselves, so they’re going to be found within their territory or just beyond it. You’ll want to get into your neighbor’s yard to search under their porch, under their house, and in potential areas where the cat is trapped, because, again, the behavior of an injured or sick cat is that they will crawl in or under something that’s familiar to them and they will hide. And again, they won’t answer your call.

I just hope she returns before she becomes pregnant again. Unfortunately cats can become pregnant again as early as a week after giving birth.

Katie

hissy

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Because she recently gave birth, it is highly possible that when you find her she will be pregnant again. Until she comes back, please follow the instructions on kitten-rescue.com because that is why it was created.

www.lost-pets.info will help you find her, also check the links page for other pet recovery websites.

commonoddity042

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I agree that she will most likely return with more kittens on board. If she is partially indoor, I would try putting her used litterbox (the familiar scent should attract her), shaking a bag of food/treats outside, and generally looking around hiding places close to the house. She might be hiding very closeby. The site that hissy linked has excellent info as well.