Please help My cat isn’t eating anything since getting Cerenia (1 10mg injection).

bordyy

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I switched my cat food from Fancy Feast to Purina Pro Plus. I did so very suddenly (9 month old cat) and did not ease him into it but I have randomly switched food in the past and he has gotten into many things and seems to be able to handle most things just fine. So my cat Moose then starting dry heaving and puking up his food about 3 days ago (1 day after food switch). The following 2 days he puked a decent amount serveal times and at one point an entire can of wet food came up. After 2 days of dry heaving and puking I brought my cat to the vet this morning after calling them the day prior and following steps to moniter him with no improvement(switch food back small increments at a time). The vet gave him 1 10mg injection of Cerenia and an injection of Subcutaneous fluid. Since coming home he has done nothing but sleep and now will not eat any food at all. At least before I brought him in he was eating half of his food and than giving up but now I can only get him to eat treats. I switched back to his favorite original food and he just is very uninterested. I have not seen him drink or eat anything in over 12 hours. My Vet did X-rays and an exam and said everything seemed ok and she was anticipating that it’s probably the diet change. However she told me if he declines to take him to an emergency vet immediately and im not sure if I should consider his complete loss of appetite as decline or as a lethargic side affect from medication. Please help with any feedback as my vet seems to think he’ll be fine but im extremely worried about my little guy he was the most vocal cat I’ve ever seen and he hasnt meowed in days. I should add the vomiting has completely stopped so far. Thank you all!

maggie101

3 cats
Top Cat
Purraise
My cat is on 2 different medications that I assume are causing her, Maggie, to not act herself and sometimes has diarrhea probably from the prescription c/d because of all the starches. As one of my cats got older, Peaches, she can no longer eat large amounts of food and gobble it up so she is fed small amounts 4x a day. Also,acid reflux can cause throwing up in the morning so I use a food timer

maggie101

3 cats
Top Cat
Purraise
My cat Maggie sometimes insists on having freeze dried chicken for a topper. She goes back and forth 3x to finish her meal. Sometimes I leave it on the cat tower

Alohadm

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
What was the diagnosis that he was given the Convenia for? According to the manufacturer, it’s prescribed for skin infections. CONVENIA Facts: Top Pet Owner Questions
Since nausea is a possible side effect, it could be causing the lack of interest in food.
When my cat was given Cerenia - which had a black box warning for cats - he exhibited similar behavior. It is supposedly uncommon and they suggest you report it to them and your vet. My cat also started hiding and having head twitches. I started giving him a spoon of yogurt a couple times a day (probiotic) to help combat nausea. Vitamin B12 is an appetite stimulant that is also given to cats. I’ve used nutritional yeast - found in the health sections of stores (not brewers yeast) - and he licks flakes off my hand or you can sprinkle a little on food. Tuna juice from the can is commonly recommended to mix with water to entice him to drink. Wet food should help increase fluid intake and may be more enticing. If he’s still not eating food (try different ones), you may want to get some KMR kitten replacement milk and see if he’ll drink some so he gets nutrients. You can purchase it as a canned liquid or powder which you reconstitute. I’ve needed to draw it into a food syringe to put in cats’ mouths when they weren’t eating / drinking on their own. Unfortunately, the injection means the antibiotic stays in the system awhile - about s week for half life, and up to two months sometimes. There are sites dedicated to cats and Convenia.
I hope he recovers soon. 💚

Alohadm

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Edited drug name - auto ‘uncorrected’
What was the diagnosis that he was given the Convenia for? According to the manufacturer, it’s prescribed for skin infections. CONVENIA Facts: Top Pet Owner Questions
Since nausea is a possible side effect, it could be causing the lack of interest in food.
When my cat was given CONVENIA - which had a black box warning for cats - he exhibited similar behavior. It is supposedly uncommon and they suggest you report it to them and your vet. My cat also started hiding and having head twitches. I started giving him a spoon of yogurt a couple times a day (probiotic) to help combat nausea. Vitamin B12 is an appetite stimulant that is also given to cats. I’ve used nutritional yeast - found in the health sections of stores (not brewers yeast) - and he licks flakes off my hand or you can sprinkle a little on food. Tuna juice from the can is commonly recommended to mix with water to entice him to drink. Wet food should help increase fluid intake and may be more enticing. If he’s still not eating food (try different ones), you may want to get some KMR kitten replacement milk and see if he’ll drink some so he gets nutrients. You can purchase it as a canned liquid or powder which you reconstitute. I’ve needed to draw it into a food syringe to put in cats’ mouths when they weren’t eating / drinking on their own. Unfortunately, the injection means the antibiotic stays in the system awhile - about s week for half life, and up to two months sometimes. There are sites dedicated to cats and Convenia.
I hope he recovers soon. 💚

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

bordyy

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
He did not get a specific diagnosis and he is still not hungry. However I found a chewed up hot coco packet from at least a few days back and his stomach is making bubbling noises and all his symptoms correlate to chocolate poisoning. I feel like if the chocolate exposure was deadly to him I would have known by now or my vet would have noticed something yesterday

cat nap

stand with ukraine
Top Cat
Purraise
bordyy bordyy .....Could you contact your Vet... or Emergency Vet clinic,... or even a pet poison hotline....just to ask about the amount of hot chocolate cocoa packet that Moose might have consumed.
Not sure if his symptoms now are from the side effects of the cerenia injection, or the previous cocoa, ...or combination of both.

This website might help in determining toxicity...but again....a professional Vet...is who I would want to speak to...to get a clear answer.
Chocolate Toxicity Calculator For Pets • Mosman Vet

If you do get the "all clear" ...then you may have to syringe feed Moose some water...and wet canned food...to make sure he is eating.
(I'd only do this after speaking to a Vet.)

bordyy

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
im all set on the chocolate end! I syringe feed some water to him and he had diarrhea immediately and his stomach is making all sorts of bubbling noises. So now the vomiting has completely stopped and an upset gasy stomach with loss of appetite are his only symptoms. He will see his vet again tomorrow morning. Thank you for all your help so far I will be sure to update you guys on moose! ❤
A2287344-842C-4356-AA65-A117FB638C0F.jpeg

cat nap

stand with ukraine
Top Cat
Purraise
im all set on the chocolate end! I syringe feed some water to him and he had diarrhea immediately and his stomach is making all sorts of bubbling noises. So now the vomiting has completely stopped and an upset gasy stomach with loss of appetite are his only symptoms. He will see his vet again tomorrow morning. Thank you for all your help so far I will be sure to update you guys on moose! ❤
Moose is absolutely adorable:loveeyes:, bordyy bordyy .
Poor guy, for not feeling back to himself, yet.

Not sure if a bland diet... of just boiled chicken, or white chicken would help him.
(Or plain chicken baby food, with no onions or garlic.)
(I used to think that boiled plain white rice and chicken would help, but the threads below,...mention that plain chicken would be best.)
Cat won’t eat bland diet prescribed for vomitting
16 week old kitten with diarrhea

Even though he does have the diarrhea, immediately, the water must be doing something in flushing out his system, and trying to keep him hydrated, (since the diarrhea would be doing the opposite.)
Could you add some extra water, warm water, to his fancy feast wet food, and warm it up so it smells more, plus blend it up to a mushy consistency...so that maybe Moose could lap it up, (lick it up) ...if he wants to.
Raise his food dish, too...by about 4-6 inches so he does not have to bend down.

Any Good Tips To Get Your Cats To Eat? Share Them Here!

Glad you are taking him back to the Vet tomorrow, and thanks for the photo and future updates, too.
Try to pick up a few cans of 'critical care A/D wet food' at the vets, just in case it helps him to get back to eating.
Sending you and Moose all the best health vibes. :goodluck::vibes::vibes::bicolorcat:

bordyy

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Moose declined and required an emergency surgery for a foriegn object. They found foam tangled in his intestine and should make a full recovery ❤

cat nap

stand with ukraine
Top Cat
Purraise
Moose declined and required an emergency surgery for a foriegn object. They found foam tangled in his intestine and should make a full recovery ❤
Oh Wow! I'm shocked that the initial x-ray did not show it.
But very thankful that you got him in...and that he should make a full recovery.:touched:
My goodness. Is that scary or what.

(my 6 year old cat had stopped eating, and pooping last year, but somehow, luckily the Vet managed to give her an Enema which also flushed out poop and a partial obstruction caused by a piece of those small green type sponges used for cleaning. Atleast that is what the vet thought it looked like. This was after her bloodwork showed normal, but slight dehydration...and then three days later an x-ray which did show plenty of poop, but not the actual sponge. She was also given cerenia injection, sub-q fluid injection for hydration, and three days later cerenia tablets and mirtazapine to treat appetite loss. Everything happened within a week.
She did not have vomitting like your Moose did, though.
God, I think our cats are going to give us faster grey hair than usual.)
Another member on this Site mentioned in a previous thread, that her vet told her this type of thing is very common.

Still will be sending your Moose and you, Mega Health vibes for a quick recovery. :vibes::vibes::bicolorcat:
Thank you for the update.