PLEASE HELP!! My cat has been in a cone for over a year and a half!!

stephanietx

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I have a cat who reacts with hyperesthesia when I treat her with Revolution. Needless to say she doesn't get that any more.

Aafia Ijaz

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I know this is long but please bear with me. I'm desperate.

It all started when my sister got a cat. She was a feral cat that my sister was able to socialize. They would play but my sister's cat (on accident) would scratch my cat up. Then my cat would lick her wounds until they were raw and bright red. She is completely healed now but when I take it off (to feed her) as soon as she's done she start biting herself to the point she's raw and bright red from her blood.

I've tried so many things over the past year and a half to get her to stop and I'm at a complete lose.

I've seen 3 different vets (same vet office) and they all say different things.

The first one said food allergy (I normally feed her raw). He told me to get her off chicken. I tried evangers pheasant. Completely grain, gluten, byproducts and chicken free and holistic (I use all natural stuff for my babies). Tried that for 3 months and only made it worse.

The second vey said no it s not a food allergy. She thought maybe fleas. Even though she didn't see any fleas or flea dirt on her. I also have 2 other cats and 1 dog that do not have fleas or scratch at all. I had just gotten the natural flea prevention. So I started that. She also gave me a medicated shampoo to use. Which only matted her fur.

The third said it's probably psychological (which is what I keep saying). So she put her on an anti anxiety/depression pill. The vet said it would take 4 - 8 weeks to start working. I tried that for about 12 weeks and nothing.

Other stuff I've tried over the past year and a half without any luck:
Anti-itch spray
Bach flower
Benadryl
Bitter apple
Calming collar
Chicken free diet
Coconut oil
Feliway
Medicated shampoo
Missing link
Probiotics
Salmon oil
Thunder shirt

Probably other stuff that I'm forgetting.

She's a happy little kitty but I would really like to get her out of her cone.

Please any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
How is your cat now??

Joelle and the kittens

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Because this shows up in google results, I think it's important to note veterinary chiropractic (which is not a credentialed board specialty and so does not have satisfactory regulatory oversight) has no scientific evidence of working for any symptoms, with anecdotal claims largely being attributable to regression to the mean or to other interventions. As with humans, it can also be actively harmful. Please, see a DVM who subscribes to evidence-based veterinary science for all serious medical conditions.

fionasmom

Staff Member
Purraise
A Aafia Ijaz

The OP has not been back to the site in about 4 years, so I don't think that you will get a response. Are you having this issue with your cat?