Please help me with Penelope.

wusenation

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
So my wife's sister found a stray on the weekend of July 16th at a campground and they brought her home. About a month later she started showing signs of pregnancy. Well they went out of town two weeks ago to visit their mother and asked if we could keep an eye on Penelope at our house just in case you went into labor. Well we have had her here since then because we didn't want to move her back and have her stressed out and about a week ago around the 65-68 day mark, I noticed she started having some tinted yellow discharge not smelly seemed as though things were moving in action Little by little each day. She is still very playful eating, drinking, going to the bathroom but no babies have arrived. She's not very big so I don't think there's more than one or two, but I'm all new to this. I called an emergency vet today and ask them and they said to give her some more time that if she isn't acting in pain or stressed to just let nature take its course. But every time I check on her she gives me kisses. She meows at me and I just become even more. Extremely worried that something might be wrong. So I started looking online and I came across the site so I took a couple pictures of what her downstairs area looks like and a picture of her. Of course because she's beautiful and deserves to be shared. If anyone has any thoughts, ideas, it would be greatly appreciated.

Attachments

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Of course because she's beautiful and deserves to be shared.
Absolutely, and thank you for sharing her with us!
She's fine. I'll post a couple articles but the vet was right, her loving nature is even stronger now that she's getting close.

Is she nesting yet? It sounds as though she may want you near as things go along 😉

How Do I Know When My Cat Will Give Birth? – TheCatSite Articles

Pregnant Cat? What To Prepare For The Birth – TheCatSite Articles

Help! My Cat Is Having Kittens! – TheCatSite Articles

Weighing Newborn Kittens (and How This Could Save Their Lives) – TheCatSite Articles

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

wusenation

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thank you for responding to me. Ummm nesting I don't particularly think so because we have a big enough bathroom where we have kept her there. I put a dog crate in there that's filled with towels. I also put a couple tails down on the floor and then on the other part of our bathroom I put a huge comforter pillow comforter which she tends to lay on the most and her kitty litter is in there and her food in her water is in there so it's a big enough space for her. But we have another cat as well and I didn't want her to get stressed out. So when she came to us that's where I put her and she seems to be wonderfully. Happy to be in there. She doesn't meow to get out. She doesn't scratch the door. She doesn't do what my little rascal would do if you shut the door and left her behind it lol.

I just don't want anything to be wrong with her, especially at her second chance at a really good forever fur home and when you do the calculations she should have already technically had them. If she got pregnant that weekend she was left at the campground.

But again, thank you so much for those articles.

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
You're doing all that she needs. Check out the articles, and wait. It will happen when it's ready to 👍❣

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
I think the vet gave you a good advice. In fact, we usually give the same advice. As long she seems ok, dont rush... The waiting may be
difficult for your nerves and your nails, but such is life... :)

Of course, once every century there happens complications because you waited too long, so its why its nervwrecking... But on the other side, to go too vet too early is even more complicated, if the vet does as he is asked for, and rushes things...
Because, unlike humans, cats usually do manage a little too long pregnancy OK, but the kittens dont manage well to be born premature...

Do massage her belly (its nice for her, and also, help her), give her calcium rich food (whatever she takes); because too little calcium cause weak labor...
Do be prepared for everything, but
take it calmly and enjoy...

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
The yellow discharge may be part of her mucus plug beginning to come out. This can occur up to a week before delivery.

You made a good decision not to move her, and thank you for taking her in.

Do pick up a can of powdered kitten formula and begin to give her a dish or two daily as she needs the extra calcium for labor and nursing.

She sounds fine! Do keep us posted!