Please Help Me Out. Is Persian Cat Has Medium Or Long Coat? He Is 3 Months Old.

Pratya

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Dear brothers and sisters,
Hope you are well. After a long time i havnot contacted with u all.Please help me by solving some of my issues. In the last time you mentioned my cat as traditional persian. But my cat coat is looking like medium coat as he is getting older. It seems like medium coat not shorter or not longer. Here i am including some pictures of him. What do you think of him. Why he does not have long coat? Does persian cat has short or long coat? Please remove my confusions

Regards
Slayer92

Attachments

lutece

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Genetically, cats are either shorthaired or longhaired. Long hair is recessive, so two longhaired cats can only produce longhaired kittens. However, longhaired cats can vary a lot in terms of how much hair they have. Your cat will probably grow up to look a lot like his parents, but as he grows and matures, his coat will go through various changes along the way. How old is he now?

1CatOverTheLine

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Can persian cat be long haired or medium haired?
Pratya Pratya - While Persians are traditionally longhaired, there is a very rare recessive shorthair gene, seen only in silvers and goldens so that two longhaired Parents can, in the presence of the expression of that gene, produce shorthaired progeny, however it's extremely uncommon.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Pratya

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
So what type of coat does my cat have ? Pls check the above posts there i have included his parents pic. Thanms...

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Pratya Pratya I see your cat has a quite a bushy tail. so she is definitely at least mediumhair per definition.
The mediumhair and longhair gene is the same. So, even if she seems shorthair, she does indeed has the longhair gene, and will be described as mediumhair.
Her fur will prob get longer into the winter season.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Pratya

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Pratya Pratya I see your cat has a quite a bushy tail. so she is definitely at least mediumhair per definition.
The mediumhair and longhair gene is the same.
The mediumhair and longhair gene is the same. So, even if she seems shorthair, she does indeed has the longhair gene, and will be described as mediumhair.
Her fur will prob get longer into the winter season.
Thanks brother for giving important information.