Please Help Me My New Cat Is Ripping My Dog Apart!!

fionasmom

Staff Member
Purraise
I have always had dogs and cats and do now...all rescues so it was never planned when the next one was coming in. As you have figured out, it will take time and management of the two of them. My guess is that the cat is truly afraid after the awful state that you rescued him in and likely, unless you have wildlife in your area and he escaped a coyote, some of this was damage from dogs. On the other hand, the poor puppy thought he had a friend. I would sort of retreat, go slow, and use the crate or bathroom as needed. I love orange boys and have always found them to be friendly in the long run....not "coat profiling" so no one get upset, but they are my favorite cats and I have one now.

I did have a calico who was completely aggressive with a very large GSD who was terrified of her. Once she realized that she was safe she settled down and confined herself to the occasional sucker punch as she walked by him.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Robynne

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I have always had dogs and cats and do now...all rescues so it was never planned when the next one was coming in. As you have figured out, it will take time and management of the two of them. My guess is that the cat is truly afraid after the awful state that you rescued him in and likely, unless you have wildlife in your area and he escaped a coyote, some of this was damage from dogs. On the other hand, the poor puppy thought he had a friend. I would sort of retreat, go slow, and use the crate or bathroom as needed. I love orange boys and have always found them to be friendly in the long run....not "coat profiling" so no one get upset, but they are my favorite cats and I have one now.

I did have a calico who was completely aggressive with a very large GSD who was terrified of her. Once she realized that she was safe she settled down and confined herself to the occasional sucker punch as she walked by him.
I am truly hoping that's what this boils down to. Its like he's passive aggressive, one moment he's on the back of the couch lounging and purring and the next he's locked eyes on the dog for NO reason and attacks him like he's gone rabid! Funny tho my fixed girl kitty is kinda mean to him and he backs down! I know itll be time its just so stressful always trying to be referee. Its just kinda nice to know others have gone thru the same thing and it turned out alright
I am truly hoping that's what this boils down to. Its like he's passive aggressive, one moment he's on the back of the couch lounging and purring and the next he's locked eyes on the dog for NO reason and attacks him like he's gone rabid! Funny tho my fixed girl kitty is kinda mean to him and he backs down! I know itll be time its just so stressful always trying to be referee.

Robynne

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Well, as if things couldnt get any worse, Simbas got to use a paper litter while his paw heals, he doesn't like it much so he pooped on my bed last night. My dog found it before i did and ate it. Nasty. Well today he pooped on my bed AGAIN and this time i found it first and it had WORMS in it!!! So now ive got to get dewormer from the vet for all 3 of them them!! I think im going to go crazy!!

Robynne

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
First, maybe stop the catnip for now. Some cats can get super aggressive and lose inhibition (think of a "mean drunk" :p) where some get super sweet and clingy (think of that annoying person who's hanging on you and saying "i love you, man" 47 times per hour :biggrin:) when they get catnip, so maybe stop this for a week or two and see if you notice a difference.
How did the puppy AND adult dog react to Simba the very first time you introduced them? Were the dogs calm, excited, interested, disinterested, give a sniff and walk away or try to get the cat to play? How did the cat react? (I know, I'm not trying to play 20 questions, just thinking that in street smart cats, first impressions matter big time).
Being a stray it's impossible to tell if he may have been attacked or even just playfully chased by dogs, so if the puppy (being an innocent puppy that meant no harm) was a little boisterous, the cat may view the pup as a threat even though the pup has nothing but good intentions.
How does Simba act with the 2 year old fixed female dog on the daily? Is the pitbull puppy neutered? When was Simba neutered?
Sorry I must have missed this one, still getting used to this site, actually i only have the one dog and 2 cats, my dog reacted pretty hesitantly to Simba, my other cat trained him pretty well to respect cats, my other cat her name is M (cuz of the M on her forehead) hated Simba from the get go but they tolerate each other, Simba hated Bear (my dog) from the get to, the 2 year old fixed female is M, Simba really wants to be her friend but M is kindof a stuck up snob, she was an only cat for her whole life up until a month ago. She doesnt like anyone but she will tolerate them. Everyone's is spayed/neutered and Simba was neutered 2 weeks and one day ago

Kflowers

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
First got it that kit pooped on the bed. But this won't be a problem in the future because

The thing about dogs is they are way into cleaning up cat mess. You may want to consider putting the litter box up out of puppy's reach. Our pup that I mentioned on this thread learned to leave the litter box alone when she stuck her head into the covered litter box that was in use. Did not do that again. Of course another dog picked up the litter box with 18 lbs of litter in it and ran through the house with it. I have no idea why.

fionasmom

Staff Member
Purraise
One of my GSDs was so much into eating cat poop that I should have just put a sign over the litter box that said "Bon Appetit." Of course you have to deter them especially when litter is involved. I would guess that the cat won't poop on the bed when it gets back to regular litter...and I have had bed poopers when someone is out of sorts and angry at something that is not quite right in the almost ideal lives that they lead here.

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
learned to leave the litter box alone when she stuck her head into the covered litter box that was in use. Did not do that again. Of course another dog picked up the litter box with 18 lbs of litter in it and ran through the house with it.
Not to hijack the thread, but envisioning both of these things...:flail:

Robynne

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
First got it that kit pooped on the bed. But this won't be a problem in the future because

The thing about dogs is they are way into cleaning up cat mess. You may want to consider putting the litter box up out of puppy's reach. Our pup that I mentioned on this thread learned to leave the litter box alone when she stuck her head into the covered litter box that was in use. Did not do that again. Of course another dog picked up the litter box with 18 lbs of litter in it and ran through the house with it. I have no idea why.
Actually my dog has never eaten out of the cat box, I have to keep a keen eye on him cuz hes a chewer, he will chew anything up so he's either in my sight or in his kennel, but he sleeps on my bed so he was like hey look a treat... I locked Simba in the bathroom for today with the litter box that has paper in it (had to divide litter boxes cuz the other cat isn't having this paper nonsense) and he STILL pooped on the floor! With yucky worms in it! Btw does anyone know how long it takes for the topical work treatment to kick in?? I can't take it I'm just going to let him use the regular cat box and clean his paw daily. I CANT keep finding piles of poop with nasty ramen noodle looking worms! Hes got a long lasting antibiotic shot from the vet so im gonna take my chances. Theres just too much going on at once. I also help run a farm so I have 47 other animals that need tending to every day. I know ideally I shouldn't let him use the litter box but my other alternative is cleaning up worm poop and i just CANT lol i have a line and that crosses it. Ya can't make cats do what they don't wanna do! Sorry if this is long I'm venting

Kflowers

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
On the good side, his pooping on the bed was how you discovered he had worms. Down side was sharing them, but up side is everyone is being treated for them. Hopefully (maybe, possibly) when the worms are gone he'll go back to the litter. More likely it'll happen when his paw is better and he doesn't need the paper litter, because, you know, he's a cat.

inkysmom

Inky's legacy - Belly rubs CAN tame feral cats!
Alpha Cat
Purraise
If call the vet and ask about the worms. He may need a stronger dewormer. His immune system may be weak from all the stress he had being a stray. When I got my dog from the shelter he was so stressed from being in the shelter he had kennel cough and works that took a long time to get rid of. And multiple doses.
One of my cats is aggressive with new dogs. I found him as a three month old starving kitten next to a busy road in Aruba. Aruba has packs of loose dogs everywhere that are aggressive. The cat was alone so I think may have escaped some dogs and maybe his mother and siblings got killed by dogs. He was very friendly to people and loved the other cats but the minute he saw my last dog he went crazy and attacked him and gave him a bloody nose. Three pound kitten vs 75 pound Akita pitbull. He would attack non-stop. I was afraid my very patient dog would get fed up and fight back and kill him so I told him no very firmly and locked him in the bathroom every time he did it. He'd also jump on peoples plates and attack food from starving. Those two behaviors he'd get a firm no and put in the bathroom which he hated. Too bad. He'd try running away so I'd chase him til I caught him and in the bathroom he'd go.
I'd praise and pat him for getting along peacefully with the dog. Both sitting quietly with me. No attacks or dive bombing from under the bed. They were eventually very bonded and he watched over the dog until he died.
Then I got my current dog who lunged at him while leashed the first night. The cat was being too trusting and friendly. Once the dog lunged he scratched the dog's cornea. Six months of attacks. I got he once and the dog was covering in his crate and the cat was on top of the crate swatting him inside it lol. Back to form nos and timeouts.
They're best buddies now.
I've been dogsitting a lot the past few months and he's gotten good at dealing with new dogs. He's better with calm friendly ones and hates and hisses at any who growl at him or try to chase him.
Just be very consistent in whats allowed and what's not

Kflowers

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
There will come a time when Simba will finally figure out all he has to do is hiss and dog will back off. He'll get that this dog won't hurt him. maybe about the time he clues that dog hasn't eaten the other cat and that they are good together. Right now, Simba is still running on learned survival stuff.

Says the lady whose cat hasn't noticed that her big goofy dog backs off instantly when she hisses, whines because she won't play, then leaves the room. I think our puppy met a hot cat sometime in the past.

Robynne

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
If call the vet and ask about the worms. He may need a stronger dewormer. His immune system may be weak from all the stress he had being a stray. When I got my dog from the shelter he was so stressed from being in the shelter he had kennel cough and works that took a long time to get rid of. And multiple doses.
One of my cats is aggressive with new dogs. I found him as a three month old starving kitten next to a busy road in Aruba. Aruba has packs of loose dogs everywhere that are aggressive. The cat was alone so I think may have escaped some dogs and maybe his mother and siblings got killed by dogs. He was very friendly to people and loved the other cats but the minute he saw my last dog he went crazy and attacked him and gave him a bloody nose. Three pound kitten vs 75 pound Akita pitbull. He would attack non-stop. I was afraid my very patient dog would get fed up and fight back and kill him so I told him no very firmly and locked him in the bathroom every time he did it. He'd also jump on peoples plates and attack food from starving. Those two behaviors he'd get a firm no and put in the bathroom which he hated. Too bad. He'd try running away so I'd chase him til I caught him and in the bathroom he'd go.
I'd praise and pat him for getting along peacefully with the dog. Both sitting quietly with me. No attacks or dive bombing from under the bed. They were eventually very bonded and he watched over the dog until he died.
Then I got my current dog who lunged at him while leashed the first night. The cat was being too trusting and friendly. Once the dog lunged he scratched the dog's cornea. Six months of attacks. I got he once and the dog was covering in his crate and the cat was on top of the crate swatting him inside it lol. Back to form nos and timeouts.
They're best buddies now.
I've been dogsitting a lot the past few months and he's gotten good at dealing with new dogs. He's better with calm friendly ones and hates and hisses at any who growl at him or try to chase him.
Just be very consistent in whats allowed and what's not
This sounds like my situation almost exactly! We've been putting him in the dogs kennel (2 for 1 there he has to sit in dog smell) when he's bad. but I am happy to report Simba is mellowing out slightly, we've had some snags(no pun intended) but no more gushing ears, in fact just a moment ago Simba got on the couch with Bear (Bear was freaked out beyond belief but he held it together) and everything went fine! Progress is definitely being made!

Kflowers

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
What a beautiful pair. they'll be playing together in no time.

Favorite game mine had was the smallest cat, a bit smaller than Simba, liked to grab onto pittie's face, one paw on each cheek then pittie would run through the house -- grinning, tail wagging, swinging kit from side to side. Once around the house then they'd curl up together. That last is why I think it was a game they both enjoyed. If it happens, don't freak.

It was so easy with my pittie. She and the kits got along the first day I brought her home. I wasn't sure and tried to separate them at night, but she missed them and me (yes, we'll say me as well) that she tried to chew through the wood door to get to us. I heard her and let her in. She curled up on the bed with them and me. It was all good. She still got clawed -- personal space issues, but she didn't care.

This one isn't a pittie, but a lab. It's going very slowly.