Please Help Me My New Cat Is Ripping My Dog Apart!!

Robynne

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi, I rescued the local stray tomcat, hed been hanging around our house for 2 years, we bought him back from the brink of death, he'd been pretty battered and torn up, we got him fixed about 2 weeks ago and brought him in! He's really a sweetheart, lives for pets and is always purring. I thought he was going to be a wonderful addition to our pets, I have a 2 year old fixed female and a 7 month old pit bull puppy. My puppy is very sweet, and him and the other cat get along great (well she tolerates him), but my new cat, Simba, really had it out for him from day one. I know he's still got testosterone in him and will for about another week, i know he's lived outside where everything was probably trying to get him, but he's ripping my dog up! My poor dog has wounds all over his ears, and i mean this cat latches on with claws and teeth and RIPS. And doesn't let go! Hes not even passed by the squirt bottle! Will they learn to get along? Will he calm down? Has anyone else been through this? I want them to get along so bad I have to be on guard every second in my own home! I love all my animals tremendously and am not willing to get rid of any of them. And my cats are inside cats because I live right next to a very busy highway. Just to give some more information. Any help would be GREATLY appreciated. Thank you.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Robynne

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
We live in a small house, it would be difficult to separate them, i do give him catnip, he eats it right up and he seems to be very comfortable in the house, he lounges on the table and counters and couch, we have 2 cat trees, my pups 7 months old hes bigger than the cat but hes afraid of him. The dog is afraid of the cat I mean. He doesn't fight back he just cries. I almost wish hed give him a little snap. But then I'm afraid itll cause aggresion in the pup... Ill read that article thanks

Robynne

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi!
You need to keep your puppy and this cat separated, maybe for a long while until the cat settles but also until the puppy gains some size.
Can you get some calming products as well and see if that helps?

I don't know if there's anything here;

How To Safely Introduce A Cat And A Dog
I read the article, i think it would have been different if we were like "hey let's get another cat" but it wasn't like that, all of our animals are stray rescues, they just kinda happened. we kept this cat in the garage until we got him fixed so he didn't spray, then as soon as we got him fixed we bought him in, also I forgot to mention, he got a detached claw last week (don't know how but its very likely from ripping the dog) and we took him to the vet because it got infected so he is in pain, but its on the mend, but he was aggressive before that, so it doesn't explain it... I know they need time, im just so afraid of my dogs eye getting caught and leading us to another vet trip... Its very stressful i wish I could keep them apart... I think I'll try the scent thing, I'll get my dogs scent on a towel, ive got the cat locked up in the dogs kennel right now maybe that will help too...

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I thought about that, of concerns about the puppy getting upset and having a personality change...
Let me see if I can find someone with direct experience in this.

Robynne

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I thought about that, of concerns about the puppy getting upset and having a personality change...
Let me see if I can find someone with direct experience in this.
Thank you I really appreciate it.

Jcatbird

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Hey! I don’t have a dog right now but I have in the past. Puppies and adult. The separation until they know each other is the very best solution. You mentioned a dog kennel. If that is inside, it will work if the cat had room for food, water, box and to walk a little in. If not then the bathroom for a bit and supervised visits with the puppy where you interact with them. Petting both and speaking calmly. The cat is naturally aftaid of dog smell from being outside. He was probably chased. You can alternate putting the puppy in the bathroom with a baby gate up too so they can see each other but hopefully the cat won’t jump over. The cat needs to see equally love and affection. You can also try holding the cat as you introduce him to the puppy. Hold the cat above the dog at first. Bring him down to the puppy level slowly while petting and telling kitty that it’s okay. Try using key words regularly. It’s okay. Stop! No! Train kitty with words in the same way you would train the puppy. The decline in hormone will help too. I find that gradual introductions always work best. Be there for reassurance until things settle. I think the kitty will learn and as the puppy grows it will gain confidence too. They may not be best friends but wouldn’t be surprised if sometime in the future you find them laying together in peace. Just keep working with them. Keep us posted. We’ll have you all on our minds!

Robynne

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hey! I don’t have a dog right now but I have in the past. Puppies and adult. The separation until they know each other is the very best solution. You mentioned a dog kennel. If that is inside, it will work if the cat had room for food, water, box and to walk a little in. If not then the bathroom for a bit and supervised visits with the puppy where you interact with them. Petting both and speaking calmly. The cat is naturally aftaid of dog smell from being outside. He was probably chased. You can alternate putting the puppy in the bathroom with a baby gate up too so they can see each other but hopefully the cat won’t jump over. The cat needs to see equally love and affection. You can also try holding the cat as you introduce him to the puppy. Hold the cat above the dog at first. Bring him down to the puppy level slowly while petting and telling kitty that it’s okay. Try using key words regularly. It’s okay. Stop! No! Train kitty with words in the same way you would train the puppy. The decline in hormone will help too. I find that gradual introductions always work best. Be there for reassurance until things settle. I think the kitty will learn and as the puppy grows it will gain confidence too. They may not be best friends but wouldn’t be surprised if sometime in the future you find them laying together in peace. Just keep working with them. Keep us posted. We’ll have you all on our minds!
It is an extra large kennel, we mainly use it for the puppy because he chews everything, so we put him in there if no one is in the house, but when the cat attacks him we put the cat in there, I guess it's just going to be a long process, I thank you for your quick reply, I just wish there was some guaranteed (although i know there isn't) that everything will be OK eventually. When I was a kid we had lots of cats and dogs and they got along great so I know its possible but this cat has been through ALOT. We nursed him back to health from a mangled tail, a respiratory infection, starvation and countless bites and puncture wounds, He's mentally scared as much as physically. Its amazing he's so sweet. He's really a lover, all except towards the dog. I will keep you guys posted and I'll post a pic of him too. He's really a heart winner.

Kflowers

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I had several cat, though no one with as much attitude at your new one. One just did what he wanted, didn't argue just did it. I got a 6 month old pittie. She was thrilled to see the cats. They had a lot to teach her. She never harmed them, but she did spend the first few months with her nose and muzzle looking a bit like a patch work quilt - black with pink stitching. No, didn't take her in, nothing need actual stitching. She never let it bother her, but she did learn to give the ones who wanted distance distance.

When she made doggie friends they were allowed in the house, when their people spoke for their manners. If one of the dogs looked too intensely at a cat, my dog put herself between her cat and the dog. She got clawed for that a couple of times but didn't seem to mind.

One of her favorite games was for the youngest cat to grab on to either side of her face, then swinging the cat slightly side to side they would run through house. Grinning, looking totally happy dog.

What this comes down to is don't think they won't work things out. When the cats finally realized if there was something dangerous they could go get the dog to take care of it, they were thrilled. Your old fighting tom maybe glad to give up his pistols for the new deputy to take over.

Robynne

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
It is an extra large kennel, we mainly use it for the puppy because he chews everything, so we put him in there if no one is in the house, but when the cat attacks him we put the cat in there, I guess it's just going to be a long process, I thank you for your quick reply, I just wish there was some guaranteed (although i know there isn't) that everything will be OK eventually. When I was a kid we had lots of cats and dogs and they got along great so I know its possible but this cat has been through ALOT. We nursed him back to health from a mangled tail, a respiratory infection, starvation and countless bites and puncture wounds, He's mentally scared as much as physically. Its amazing he's so sweet. He's really a lover, all except towards the dog. I will keep you guys posted and I'll post a pic of him too. He's really a heart winner.
Ohh I don't know how to post a picture

Robynne

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I had several cat, though no one with as much attitude at your new one. One just did what he wanted, didn't argue just did it. I got a 6 month old pittie. She was thrilled to see the cats. They had a lot to teach her. She never harmed them, but she did spend the first few months with her nose and muzzle looking a bit like a patch work quilt - black with pink stitching. No, didn't take her in, nothing need actual stitching. She never let it bother her, but she did learn to give the ones who wanted distance distance.

When she made doggie friends they were allowed in the house, when their people spoke for their manners. If one of the dogs looked too intensely at a cat, my dog put herself between her cat and the dog. She got clawed for that a couple of times but didn't seem to mind.

One of her favorite games was for the youngest cat to grab on to either side of her face, then swinging the cat slightly side to side they would run through house. Grinning, looking totally happy dog.

What this comes down to is don't think they won't work things out. When the cats finally realized if there was something dangerous they could go get the dog to take care of it, they were thrilled. Your old fighting tom maybe glad to give up his pistols for the new deputy to take over.
Thank you that is very reassuring

Jcatbird

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Between myself and my brother, we have blended cats, dogs, rabbits, ferrets, an Iguana, a dragon, birds, possums, squirrels, a chicken ( litter box trained) and even a pony. No one ever ate anyone. They were all rescues! Some terrified, some wounded or half starved and some started out as aggressive. Oh yeah..... my Mom had a little black mouse too! The cats watched him and never hurt him but he was always supervised. It took work on our part but the baby possum was even raised by our Siamese cat. She considered it another of her kittens although she wasn’t crazy about it hitching a ride on her back!:lol: There is every good chance that these two will be fine.

Avery

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
No advice to add. I just wanted to thank you so much for rescuing this cat and for your willingness to take the time and energy to make him a part of your household. Keep us posted!

1 bruce 1

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
First, maybe stop the catnip for now. Some cats can get super aggressive and lose inhibition (think of a "mean drunk" :p) where some get super sweet and clingy (think of that annoying person who's hanging on you and saying "i love you, man" 47 times per hour :biggrin:) when they get catnip, so maybe stop this for a week or two and see if you notice a difference.
How did the puppy AND adult dog react to Simba the very first time you introduced them? Were the dogs calm, excited, interested, disinterested, give a sniff and walk away or try to get the cat to play? How did the cat react? (I know, I'm not trying to play 20 questions, just thinking that in street smart cats, first impressions matter big time).
Being a stray it's impossible to tell if he may have been attacked or even just playfully chased by dogs, so if the puppy (being an innocent puppy that meant no harm) was a little boisterous, the cat may view the pup as a threat even though the pup has nothing but good intentions.
How does Simba act with the 2 year old fixed female dog on the daily? Is the pitbull puppy neutered? When was Simba neutered?

Kflowers

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
1 bruce 1 1 bruce 1 , I can't believe I forgot that about the catnip. We had one who was a mean drunk on it, and one that would have ended up on the six o'clock news. He was really, seriously dangerous to anyone - cat or human - who got near him when he had nip. I don't have scars from that, but one passing bf who knew so much more than me ... We just didn't let anyone bring any in the house, not even catnip toys.

1 bruce 1

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
1 bruce 1 1 bruce 1 , I can't believe I forgot that about the catnip. We had one who was a mean drunk on it, and one that would have ended up on the six o'clock news. He was really, seriously dangerous to anyone - cat or human - who got near him when he had nip. I don't have scars from that, but one passing bf who knew so much more than me ... We just didn't let anyone bring any in the house, not even catnip toys.
Two of our girls will go fight club on each other, nothing serious but it's unnerving and kind of annoying listening to them. The only positive is that one male will suck down all the catnip he can, roll in the leavin's, and then just sit there on the sidelines, sadly watching them turn into reality show mall rats then looking up at me like "can't we all just get along?" I call him the "good hippie" :thumbsup:
I had a dog that would eat catnip mice and I wasn't aware of it until I saw him pooping out something orange and fuzzy with googly eyes.