PLEASE HELP ME IDENTIFY these guys.

Covert kovu

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hey guys, I am deeply curious about what breeds my cats are, or resemble.

also, understanding the proper terminology with describing their body type and coat would be awesome!

Some additional info:
Two cat scanner apps Identified the gray and white one as a tuxedo & Russian blue/British shorthair mixed.

The Black cat is described by the same apps and Google as "Bombay Cat" or "Manx" ??

These photos aren't the best so if you have any questions or need better quality photos, let me know.

Kleo - the black cat ( newly adopted)
Migi - Gray and White tuxedo cat. About two years old

I just discovered this site this morning and this is my first post so apologies if my forum etiquette is a bit off.

Attachments

Last edited by a moderator:

lutece

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
They are lovely cats! And your forum etiquette is just fine :)

I would describe Migi as a blue and white domestic shorthair, and Kleo as a black domestic shorthair. Most cats are not any particular breed, but that doesn't make them any less beautiful or special... domestic shorthairs are great cats!

Apps and Google are not accurate at identifying breeds of cats.

Kieka

Snowshoe Servant
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Cat breeding is a new human hobby, as such there aren't actually very many cats in the world that actually have a connection to any named breed. A vast majority of the world's cat population is domestic shorthair or domestic longhair. When I say vast, we are talking 95-98% of the cat population likely has no recent ancestor that would considered purebred (and that is likely generous, consider that most purebreds in modern times are careful bred in their program and spay/neuter is more common for pet or retired cats then any other time). When you use one of those apps what they do is take coat color and compare it against named breeds without really much more care. The problem being that most named breeds are naturally occuring color or build combinations that someone refined to breed true and with some slight human selection for specific features or traits. All this means that nearly any colors, feature or trait you can find in specific breeds occurs in the general cat population outside of the specific breeds. In order for a cat to actually be related to a breed they have to have the lineage history and be documented part of the breed in question.

Kleo is breed domestic shorthair, color black.

Migi is breed domestic shorthair, color blue with white.

Kleo could be considered a decent lookalike for a Bombay in my opinion but Bombay is basically a black cat with a sleek coat and black pads. Migi, while lovely, doesn’t look like a Russian Blue beyond being blue the body shape isn't right to be a lookalike beyond color. Tuxedo is a coat pattern not a breed.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Covert kovu

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
They are lovely cats! And your forum etiquette is just fine :)

I would describe Migi as a blue and white domestic shorthair, and Kleo as a black domestic shorthair. Most cats are not any particular breed, but that doesn't make them any less beautiful or special... domestic shorthairs are great cats!

Apps and Google are not accurate at identifying breeds of cats.
Appreciate the Swift response and compliments. 😃

Covert kovu

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Cat breeding is a new human hobby, as such there aren't actually very many cats in the world that actually have a connection to any named breed. A vast majority of the world's cat population is domestic shorthair or domestic longhair. When I say vast, we are talking 95-98% of the cat population likely has no recent ancestor that would considered purebred (and that is likely generous, consider that most purebreds in modern times are careful bred in their program and spay/neuter is more common for pet or retired cats then any other time). When you use one of those apps what they do is take coat color and compare it against named breeds without really much more care. The problem being that most named breeds are naturally occuring color or build combinations that someone refined to breed true and with some slight human selection for specific features or traits. All this means that nearly any colors, feature or trait you can find in specific breeds occurs in the general cat population outside of the specific breeds. In order for a cat to actually be related to a breed they have to have the lineage history and be documented part of the breed in question.

Kleo is breed domestic shorthair, color black.

Migi is breed domestic shorthair, color blue with white.

Kleo could be considered a decent lookalike for a Bombay in my opinion but Bombay is basically a black cat with a sleek coat and black pads. Migi, while lovely, doesn’t look like a Russian Blue beyond being blue the body shape isn't right to be a lookalike beyond color. Tuxedo is a coat pattern not a breed.
Quite the informative response. Thanks 👍.

Kieka

Snowshoe Servant
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I have a little black cat myself, they are highly underrated.

Although getting good photos of them is hard. This was Nightfury too tired to pull his leg into the cat bed. And one of his better photos in the last month.

IMG_20200623_093612.jpg

lutece

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Kleo could be considered a decent lookalike for a Bombay in my opinion but Bombay is basically a black cat with a sleek coat and black pads.
I would disagree about the Bombay being "basically a black cat with a sleek coat and black pads." The Bombay breed has a very specific history, head and body type, and eye color, as it was created by Nikki Horner in the 1950s and accepted in CFA in 1970. Here is the CFA Bombay breed presentation:
In other associations such as TICA and GCCF, the Bombay has slightly less extreme type than in CFA, but it is still a very specific breed of cat with a specific head and body type, eye color and history.

Other black cats like yours are wonderful cats, and I agree... highly underrated! I have had wonderful black cats myself. But being wonderful cats doesn't make them Bombays or Bombay lookalikes.

Covert kovu

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
The first cat could be Sukis' reclative. The rescue place said she was a tuxedo type. No guesses on the rest.
j
Sorry I'm a bit confused. What is "Suki's reclative"?

Flybynight

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I think she means similar to her cat in her avatar. I guess she is named Suki.