Please help me decide between these two foods.

waddle

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Catfooddb site lists tapioca starch in the wholehearted as a questionable ingredient, but does not call out the tapioca in the Koha. The Wholehearted has less carbs and is cheaper. Do you think the tapioca thing is an issue? I am placing a koha order anyway; trying to decide whether to add the duck or try the Wholehearted one instead. Both kitties liked the duck, lamb, and turkey koha shreds. (In the past they were not enthusiastic about pate food, but I am going to try that again soon and see if they’ll eat it.)

I just looked at the Wholehearted LID duck dry food and that looks like a better option than the blue basics I have now. I might switch over to that once they’ve adjusted to adding more wet food to their diets.

Attachments

maggie101

3 cats
Top Cat
Purraise
I dont worry about tapioca too much.. Some of my cans have it,some dont so it's not given every day. I noticed that rawz has it In shredded but not pate. So it's a thickener for the broth? Just a guess

mrsgreenjeens

Every Life Should Have Nine Cats
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
The Wholehearted looks better to me, ingredient wise and carb wise. BUT, the main question is, will your cats eat it. I don't like that the first ingredient in the Koha is broth vs meat!

CatLover49

All Cats Are Special
Top Cat
Purraise
The Wholehearted looks better to me, ingredient wise and carb wise. BUT, the main question is, will your cats eat it. I don't like that the first ingredient in the Koha is broth vs meat!
Yep the first ingredient needs to be a good meat

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

waddle

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I will stop by petco sometime and pick some up. Im getting the impression they might eat anything in gravy, but I’m trying to stay as limited ingredient as possible.

The calorie count is almost the same on these two products. The koha broth must have the extra carbs in it. I did order some of that but if they like the wholehearted I’ll replace it with that.

Every freaking food I look at has either chicken or some other bad ingredient in it. Every time I think I’ve found a winner, I spot a questionable ingredient. So I’m think I’m just going to rotate the best ones I can find. I don’t know if they’d eat raw and it would cost a fortune to feed that full time.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

waddle

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
So...I just looked at the Koha page to see how many calories are in a can to figure out how much to give them per day.
Catfooddb says calories are 42.4% protein, 25.8% fat, 31.8% carbs. The Koha site says 42.57, 49.39, 8.04! How can they be so different?

mrsgreenjeens

Every Life Should Have Nine Cats
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Well, I ran it through my carb calculator, and only came close to the protein amount, but didn't come close to any other amounts, but must preface that with the fact that you need the Guaranteed Analysis for ASH and that isn't available that I could find. I plugged in a few different values though and it didn't change things that much. The fat percentages I got were around 11%(ish), and carbs around 17% (ish). See, no where close to either!

As to how they can be so different...I guess everyone computes differently. Here's an article on how to convert Guaranteed Analysis values to Dry Matter: https://thecatsite.com/c/how-to-compare-cat-foods-calculate-carbs-dry-matter-basis/