please help me..cat peeing on furniture

luv4u859

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I have had my cat since around January. He did this once and I blamed it on myself because he litter box wasn't completely clean, but every since then its clean all the time. Tuesday night I went to get in my bed and there was a wet spot and sure enough he had peed on it, cleaned and dried it up, changed my sheets and went to bed and the next day I washed my sheets and comforter. 

Tonight (5/24) I went to get in the bed and yet again felt a bigger wet spot. Again took off all my sheets and comfortor, I used this recipe I found online to clean up and hopefully get the smell out. I now have to go back to the laundromat for the second time in one week to wash the same comforter I just got.

I am probably going to have to get a new bed, which right now being a teacher and about to not be able to work for the summer the money really is not there. 

I am really on the verge of crying right now. Please do not bash me on what I am about to say, I already know its wrong. I am really on the edge of giving him away. I can't keep dealing with this. He is not  neutered   and like I said the money isn't there to do it no anyway  and even if I do will it stop?

I have other post about him destroyed my furniture, he randomly comes up and bites and scratches me.

I am lost and torn.

please don't tell me a pet is forever and your not supposed to give him away, I KNOW that. I did not come here to be bashed. I came for help, if you can't do that please do not reply. 

vball91

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
The majority of the time, inappropriate peeing is caused by a medical issue (Feline Lower Urinary Tract Disease) which can be caused by inflammation, crystals, stones, or infection. Sometimes it can be behavioral, like when the litter box is not clean. It may also be territorial spraying since he's an intact male. How old is he?

I can sense your frustration, but the truth is that pets cost money. It really sounds like he needs a vet visit to rule out a medical cause. There are financial assistance programs available if you qualify. Care Credit is one. There may also be low cost spay and neuter programs available in your area.

If he is a young kitty who has a good chance of being re-adopted, then I would say that it's a reasonable option if you truly cannot afford care for him.

catsallaround

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Chances are this is to do with not being fixed and him marking.  But really needs to be looked at by a vet.

You really need to get a bed protector on ASAP that will not absorb.

Him marking will get worse.  He will start spraying anything and get aggressive.  Contact local shelters/vets to see if you have a free of cheap option.

catsallaround

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Is this the kitten who is around 9 months old you got in January?  If you still rent you will be charged for the damages from the pee as it is HARD to clean

luvmy4

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I agree that this is probably from him not being neutered. It could be another underlying medical problem, but intact males do act this way too. Getting him neutered isn't expensive. The sooner he is neutered the less likely the behavior is to become habit. If he starts spraying then he may never stop. There are probably low cost clinics in your area that will charge $80-100 for a neuter. That is cheaper than an new mattress. Keep him out of your room in the mean time or get a mattress cover as was suggested. I have one and use it to keep my mattress under warranty. I've spilled a drink in the bed and the mattress did not stain or get wet. I think I only paid around $35 or so from target. At least the sheets, cover and comforter can all be thrown in the wash.

Make sure to use some enzyme cleaner on your mattress too to help get rid of his scent so he isn't so inclined to go there again. You will probably have to use quite a bit and blot, blot, blot, repeat. 

I don't T.A. summer classes either so I found a part-time job for the summer since I already received my last paycheck until fall from the university. It sucks but it helps out so I do it. So I do understand how scarce funds can be during the summer. A new mattress would be hard for me to buy right now. 

If you feel that these are things you are unable to do, then maybe it is in everyone's best interest to properly rehome him. 

gracec

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Like someone else said, get a bed protector. (Clean the bed really well first)

It can either be because he's not fixed or an infection. Does he seem comfortable when he uses his litter?

tx_kat

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Make sure to use some enzyme cleaner on your mattress too to help get rid of his scent so he isn't so inclined to go there again. You will probably have to use quite a bit and blot, blot, blot, repeat. 
I've found that the enzyme cleaner only does so much, but that the oxy cleaner does a much better job of pulling urine from fabrics (carpet, sofa, sheets, etc.).  One thing about cleaning cat urine is to put a "barrier" of cleaner around the spot before applying the cleaner to the spot.  If you don't, the stain (and smell) can "bleed" into the surrounding areas.  I also use oxy cleaner on the sheets and other bed linens before I wash them.

luvmy4

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I love oxiclean and use it for all laundry and in my carpet shampooer. Lol. I have always used enzyme cleaner first to spot treat. Maybe I didn't have to with oxiclean. I'll have to try it by itself.

Cali will sometimes pee in front of the door if she sees a cat outside. It hasn't happened here yet but it is just the start of the summer season. I have not seen any strays here yet but I'm sure they are around.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

luv4u859

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Is this the kitten who is around 9 months old you got in January?  If you still rent you will be charged for the damages from the pee as it is HARD to clean

its only been on my bed so far thankfully

luv4u859

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
And I do have a bed protector, it got pee on it last time he did it, on tuesday, so I had to take it off and didn't put it on. So the bed protector isn't an issue. I wasn't going to get another one today when I go to wash

luv4u859

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Like someone else said, get a bed protector. (Clean the bed really well first)

It can either be because he's not fixed or an infection. Does he seem comfortable when he uses his litter?
yes he seems to love the litter. I've used the same kind since I got him and I got him from a friend who used the same kind, so its not like its a huge difference for him

luv4u859

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
thanks for the tips. I am looking into taking him to this vet that was recommended to me. I really don't want to give him away, I live alone and he is kinda my company when I have no one else. Its just frustrating, thanks for also not bashing me about this posting

catsallaround

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Get a plastic bed protector.  The fabric one need to go in machine and also retain odor...for the cost just go get a decent cover from walmart type store and over that put on a cheapie dollar store one.  Dump the top one as needed.

luv4u859

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Even if I get him neutered do I know for sure that this problem will stop?

vball91

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
There is no certainty in life. However, if this behavior is due to being unneutered, the longer it continues, the harder it will be to break him of the habit. In addition, even after neutering, it will take some weeks for the hormones to settle down.

catspaw66

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Getting him neutered will not stop the peeing by itself. It will curb the hormones that cause him to want to mark his territory.  Be forewarned that it will take several weeks for all the 'teenage boy' hormones to leave his bloodstream.

I agree with catsallaround that you should buy a plastic protector and a cheap fabric one to go over it.

Hopefully, this will solve your problem.  We discourage bashing on this site, and people who do it are subject to discipline. 

luv4u859

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
i've decided to get him neutered and hope and pray that it will make him stop. I brought a full plastic bed cover and its on my bed now. I let him back in my room since last night and he is sniffing everything. Do you think he is trying to look for his smell from the pee?

catsallaround

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
If it were me and he is doing this knowing I am getting him neutered I would put him in a bathroom or kitchen or even a large dog crate till he is done in few weeks time.  His hormones are telling him to mate and protect his territory.  The smell of a boy cat is so horrible and any cat outside may start to spray if you are on ground floor/even 2nd.

luv4u859

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
If it were me and he is doing this knowing I am getting him neutered I would put him in a bathroom or kitchen or even a large dog crate till he is done in few weeks time.  His hormones are telling him to mate and protect his territory.  The smell of a boy cat is so horrible and any cat outside may start to spray if you are on ground floor/even 2nd.

so you want me to lock him in my bathroom for a couple weeks? I don't have a door onto my kitchen so he can't stay in there. I don't get what you are wanting me to do here. 

catsallaround

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I am saying what I WOULD do with a male spraying if I wanted to keep house decent untill he gets done.  What you feel comfortable doing is a totally different thing. 

At his age you are VERY lucky he is not spraying in multiple spots.  I would not be surprised at all if he was.  I would look into posting an ad on craigslist to see if anyone would outright donate or lend the money to get him fixed/may know of a free or cheap upcoming clinic.