please help me..cat peeing on furniture

happybird

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I've found that the enzyme cleaner only does so much, but that the oxy cleaner does a much better job of pulling urine from fabrics (carpet, sofa, sheets, etc.).  One thing about cleaning cat urine is to put a "barrier" of cleaner around the spot before applying the cleaner to the spot.  If you don't, the stain (and smell) can "bleed" into the surrounding areas.  I also use oxy cleaner on the sheets and other bed linens before I wash them.
I agree about the enzyme cleaners- they have just never worked well for me. I posted my cat urine cleaning recipe a couple weeks ago and it works great, even if it is a bit labor intensive.
1. Absorb as much urine as you can with paper towels
2. Scrub the spot with dishsoap (it works because it breaks up that 'greasy' feel cat urine has)
3. Dry again with paper towels
4. Coat the spot with baking soda
5. Sprinkle with hydrogen peroxide and mix into the baking soda with your fingers
6. Let dry and vaccuum up the next day. Use a damp sponge afterwards to get it all up.

Sometimes it takes two treatments, depending on how bad the spot is. I have used it on the urine of an unfixed male cat on a recliner (argh!) and it worked beautifully. You just have to make sure you get down deep to the whole affected area and make sure you get everythig as dry as possible in each step.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

luv4u859

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I agree about the enzyme cleaners- they have just never worked well for me. I posted my cat urine cleaning recipe a couple weeks ago and it works great, even if it is a bit labor intensive.
1. Absorb as much urine as you can with paper towels
2. Scrub the spot with dishsoap (it works because it breaks up that 'greasy' feel cat urine has)
3. Dry again with paper towels
4. Coat the spot with baking soda
5. Sprinkle with hydrogen peroxide and mix into the baking soda with your fingers
6. Let dry and vaccuum up the next day. Use a damp sponge afterwards to get it all up.

Sometimes it takes two treatments, depending on how bad the spot is. I have used it on the urine of an unfixed male cat on a recliner (argh!) and it worked beautifully. You just have to make sure you get down deep to the whole affected area and make sure you get everythig as dry as possible in each step.
I did that last night with a very similar recipe i guess you can call it lol that I found online. I let it dry by putting my fan on it over night

luv4u859

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I found a couple places in my area that have reasonable prices for neutering him. one place is 60 the other place is 65, I will take whoever will let me make an appointment first. 

I really hope after him getting neutered he will stop.

I had a female cat a couple years ago for like 3 or 4 years and she was never sprayed and I never had problems with her peeing on furniture or any other places. This cat is the complete opposite from the cat I had before so I feel like that's why sometimes I am at such a loss about what to do. 

catsallaround

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Unspayed females(and spayed for that matter) do spray/mark but alot less then a male.  Make sure they will not tack on anything to that cost.  Some places may require rabies or add ons. One place near me will put flea meds on if they spot a flea on the cat. 

MoochNNoodles

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I'm glad to hear you are getting him neutered and I hope that will curb his behavior as well! 

It's really hard to say what will and will not work.  The idea of limiting his access to your home is nice if you can; but understandably not feasible for everyone.  You might find some more useful information to read up on in the links here: http://www.thecatsite.com/t/248993/tcs-cat-behavior-resources-articles-and-important-threads  while you wait for his neuter appointment and things to settle down.  And yep, like Catspaw66 said; we discourage bashing, or really, don't put up with it.  All our members are welcome to flag posts for the mod team to review. (Flag icon in the lower left side of each post.) 

Unspayed females(and spayed for that matter) do spray/mark but alot less then a male.  Make sure they will not tack on anything to that cost.  Some places may require rabies or add ons. One place near me will put flea meds on if they spot a flea on the cat. 

That is a very good point.  It's been years since I got my girls; but they did end up getting an extra vaccination at the vet who spayed them.  I was using a vet on the military base at the time so I had to find a local vet to do their spaying.  I don't think it was a huge cost; but double in a way since they were done at the same time!  

luv4u859

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I found a place that charges 60. They called back today and I am going to take him in Wednesday to be neutered. He's hasn't sprayed since I cleaned my bed and I do not let him in my room unless I am in there with him so I can watch him.

Really hope this works for me little guy, I love him way to much to give him away. Whenever I would think about it I would start to cry. 

catsallaround

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
The strong urine smell will go away too(actually surprised you have not mentioned/been bothered by it at all)  I always found it pretty bad and I have had plenty of males stay a few days before the neuter.  There is no getting used to it for me.

Good luck.

luv4u859

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
The smell is bad when I first realized he peed there. I cleaned it and turned the fan on and shut the door. The next morning I went in and the smell was really bad but it went away. I can't smell it anymore now though

catspaw66

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
If you have any cedar trees around, break off the ends of some small branches, rub them all over where he peed, and then use some fresh ones to leave in the room.  I can do this because I have cedar trees all over on the property.  If you don't have any cedar trees, get a small bag of cedar hamster bedding. 

luv4u859

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Well tomorrow is the day I take him in the morning to get neutered. I am a little worried about my little guy but I know this needs to get done.

Without starting a new thread I have another question. I am going on vacation for the first week in July, I already have a friend who said they will come everyday to feed him and clean his litter box, but I worry about if it will get to hot in my apartment. I don't know if I should leave a fan on or what. I really hate to leave him, but already had this trip planned for over 6 months. I just don't want it to be to hot in my apartment to him. I don't really want to leave the window open either

luvmy4

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I wouldn't worry too much about the neuter. It is a much easier surgery for male cats :) I think you will both be happier once he is fixed.

Keeping your curtains closed does help keep an apartment cooler, as the sunshine doesn't come through the windows to warm everything up. This could cause distress for the kitty though since every cat loves to look outside. I am weird about leaving stuff turned on when I am not home though. If you do leave a fan on make sure your sitter checks the fan everyday to see if the outlet is warm and that it is not showing any signs of overheating from being on for so long. Maybe someone else will have some other suggestions.

Guess I am spoiled to have a/c

apartmentcat

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I've been having the same spraying/peeing issue with my cat for a few months now. He is not neutered either AND it started with him peeing in my bed. Strange! I read up on it and found out a few things it could be: urinary problems, stress because of a change in his life (like living conditions or a new cat food or litter), the cat could be mad at you, or marking his territory and attracting a mate.

I have transitioned my cat to a better quality food in case the old cheap one I was getting was causing urinary problems. I make sure to give him lots of love and attention, clean his litter box frequently, and give him treats and praise every time he pees in the box. I no longer allow him into my bedroom, which has saved a lot of stress and laundry money! My apartment has wood and tile floors so any messes outside the bedroom and relatively easy to clean up. 

I also read that cats don't like the smell of citrus, so I made an orange peel extract spray, but it doesn't seem to bother the little troublemaker! Cats don't like aluminum foil either. I put it around my table with plants on it so he won't eat them and it works! But I don't think it would be practical to cover your bed in it lol. 

I can't afford to neuter him right now, but my local Humane Society charges $70, so I'm saving up. I heard it could take a few weeks after neutering for his spraying to stop, so you'll have to be patient I suppose. 

When I go on vacation I ask if my friend wants to stay at my house full-time, and I leave some treats in the fridge as a thank-you. If your cat-sitting doesn't want to stay at your home the whole time, I'm sure your cat will find a cool place to nap. They're mostly awake at night-time anyway. 

Let us know how it all goes! And good luck! 

apartmentcat

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Here are some fun facts about spaying and neutering my local animal humane society has on their website. Maybe it will make you feel more excited about getting your cat neutered! :)
What are the benefits of spaying or neutering my pets?
  • It reduces the incidence of disease, infection and cancer of the pet's reproductive system.  
  • Female heat cycles are eliminated.  
  • Male cats no longer spray or smell.  
  • It ends the cat's crying, howling, fighting and frantic efforts to get out.  
  • Neutered cats are more sociable and affectionate.  
  • It reduces pet overpopulation & the thousands of homeless & unwanted animals that end up in rescue organizations & shelters each year.  
  • Pets are more sociable, affectionate & content to stay at home.  

dejolane

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
There is a spray you can get at a pet store to keep the cats off your furniture. I used it to keep them away from my long window blinds and it worked for awhile. I don't know if you have leather couches like I do or fabric.But it does work.

luv4u859

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I wouldn't worry too much about the neuter. It is a much easier surgery for male cats :) I think you will both be happier once he is fixed.

Keeping your curtains closed does help keep an apartment cooler, as the sunshine doesn't come through the windows to warm everything up. This could cause distress for the kitty though since every cat loves to look outside. I am weird about leaving stuff turned on when I am not home though. If you do leave a fan on make sure your sitter checks the fan everyday to see if the outlet is warm and that it is not showing any signs of overheating from being on for so long. Maybe someone else will have some other suggestions.

Guess I am spoiled to have a/c
I have a/c, but I don't want to leave it on for 7 days all day and night, my electricity bill would be through the roof. I don't have curtains in the living room, only my bedroom but I have blinds that I can keep closed. He still knows how to jump to the window even with the blinds closed. 

catsallaround

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Anyway the person coming can turn it on the hottest day/part of the day?  Really plenty of fresh water should be ok as long as you are not on top floor or something.  My house has 2 units and the cats by choice spend more time in the uncooled parts where it can be 100 on some days.  The cooled parts are 60-70 depending on how hot it is outside.

luv4u859

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Anyway the person coming can turn it on the hottest day/part of the day?  Really plenty of fresh water should be ok as long as you are not on top floor or something.  My house has 2 units and the cats by choice spend more time in the uncooled parts where it can be 100 on some days.  The cooled parts are 60-70 depending on how hot it is outside.

Well there is an upstairs and down stairs in my apartment and I am upstairs. I have not really gone in depth with my friend about what time she was coming everyday, but I kinda want it to be consistent during the week. 

I was thinking of getting one of those automatic water things so he can have a non-stop supply of water. Anyone have any experience with any of them?

luvmy4

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I have a/c, but I don't want to leave it on for 7 days all day and night, my electricity bill would be through the roof. I don't have curtains in the living room, only my bedroom but I have blinds that I can keep closed. He still knows how to jump to the window even with the blinds closed. 
I am sure he will be fine since you have someone stopping over everyday. Tell your friend if it seems too hot in the apartment to turn the a/c on for awhile or turn a fan on. I know that where I live it can sometimes still be 70F in June or it can be 95F. It really just depends what the weather is like that week. One of my cats hates the curtains closed but that is not an issue for you, so I would put the blinds down the night before you leave and it will keep the house cooler. There are cooler places to lay around if necessary, like a tile floor or bathtub, kitty will find them. My biggest worry was about having any issue with a fan running all the time in case the motor or outlet would overheat or something. It would make me nervous, but I am a worrier. lol.  

I can understand not wanting a huge electric bill from leaving the a/c on all week. Maybe just have your friend use their best judgement if it needs to be on once in awhile while you are gone. I hope everything goes well for him tomorrow with his surgery. 

lovingmycats

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
you should probably take the cat to the vet to make sure nothing is wrong, they sell stuff at the pet store that takes the smell of cat pee out of your couch bed ect. look up some reviews for products online  clean really good.  make sure nothing is going wrong in your home that would make him have to prove that is his teritory. put more litter boxes down and try some with one kind of litter some with another kind, some cats can be picky about smells.

luv4u859

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
So I had to change the appointment for my cat to be neutered to today. I picked him up and we got home about a half hour ago. I know I read that he may not want to eat right after and not to force it, but he keeps going near his food bowl and creeping towards it and backing up like he's scared of the food bowls. Is this normal behavior?