Please help manx kitten with incontinence

cgeiser

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
My boyfriend and I got our 10 week old kitten from a friends of ours when her cat had kittens. She is not a breeder and had no idea that manx kittens have a tendency to develop health problems. So we gt her home and find out that she cannot use the litter box. We take her to the vet and are told that she is incontinent. Her urine just dribbles out and she only poops when so much has built up that it just sort of falls out. It has been very hard to deal with. We thought about putting her in diapers but she is still to little for even preemie diapers. So we basically just keep her in the tilled portion of the house.

This was all well and good until her poop started getting softer. Now it is a horrid mess to clean up and she tracks it all over. We just don't know what to do. People we have contacted in our area for help have told us to put her to sleep. We just cant do that because she is otherwise a very happy, playful kitten. Any advice anyone has on caring for manx cats in general would be appreciated. Also if anyone has any ideas on how to harden up her poops, that would be great to.

mews2much

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I had a Manx that dripped pee also. She also had seizures. Get the diapers when she gets older. I didnt know about diapers when I had my Manx. Can you keep her in a bathroom for now until she gets older.

tru

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Oh boy, do I know your problems well.

My Boo girl is a Manx (mix?) who had terrible problems with both bowel and urinary leakage. One thing I had to do while she was young, (got her at 10 weeks), was give her dry food only. I used Royal Canin Kitten to start. She could not tolerate any wet food at all without having a runny diarrhea problem and she dribbled all over the place.
We made several trips to the vet and we tried sensitive tummy food, but if it was a wet/canned/soft food she continued with the problem.

She recently had to have surgery for a very large Struvite crystal which was part of her urinary leaking problem. She is just now 2 years old so the thought that she had crystals never occurred to me till I saw bloody urine.

Now that she has had the surgery and is on RC Urinary SO food, I'd like to say that she leaks now more. But I cannot say that. Most of her urinary leakage is now when she is sleeping and I am at this moment looking for diapers for her to use at bed time since she likes to sleep on the bed with us.

I don't know how well they will go over, but it's worth a shot.

Good luck with your little girl. Some of her problems may self correct as she gets older. Boo-Boo's did with the diarrhea. She has no problems when she eats her canned food now and she gets it twice a day. If your little girl is as loving and happy as ours then I know your efforts to cope with her problems will all be worth it.

BTW... I also got some Bene-Bac that I gave her a couple times to help put the good bacteria back, (Some people use Yogurt and some use Pumpkin), but I think what helped her was staying on the dry food for a while. As with most suggestions on what to do, be sure to check with your vet before administering anything to your little ones. We wouldn't want more harm done than good because of good intentions.

Keep us posted on your little girls progress.

(You can see pics of my Boo by clicking on the link below.)

jen

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
So... is this a common problem in Manx cats? I found mine in Walmart parking lot 2 years ago and he occasionally has soft stools and it sticks on the fur around where his tail should be. I have to keep that hair short and trim. I am also looking for something to make his stools harder as I suspected him of having a sensitive stomach. He never leaks pee though and is great with his litterbox.

laureen227

Darksome Duo!
Top Cat
Purraise
there's a great video on youtube that shows how to convert a baby diaper to a cat diaper for incontinent cats.

tru

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Jen

So... is this a common problem in Manx cats? I found mine in Walmart parking lot 2 years ago and he occasionally has soft stools and it sticks on the fur around where his tail should be. I have to keep that hair short and trim. I am also looking for something to make his stools harder as I suspected him of having a sensitive stomach. He never leaks pee though and is great with his litterbox.
Jen,

I suspect that it may be a somewhat common problem in Manx that have come from Back Yard Breeders. If two tailless Manx are bred together there is a greater than average chance that the offspring will suffer some nerve damage in the lower spine as a result. That is really simplifying what I read about it all, but that's that's pretty much it in a nutshell.

When Boo was having her stool problems I just shaved her around the rear to keep some of nasty fur mess down and that helped a lot. You may also want to check with the vet to see if they have checked for Giardisis (sp?). I guess it's not all that common, but it never hurts to rule it out too. If it is present then the vet prescribes Metronidazole I believe.

Originally Posted by laureen227

there's a great video on youtube that shows how to convert a baby diaper to a cat diaper for incontinent cats.
It occurred to me that a tailless Manx owner needn't adapt diapers for their cats. No tail to make a hole for!

meowers

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I wish you the best of luck with your Manx.

My Kitty is a 1.5yr Manx with problems too, and also the reason I joined TCS. Her poop issues are few and far between now that she grew out of being a kitten. There are a few good articles on here about Manx you should check out.

Feeding dry food is a good way to help the poo problem, and keeping the fur short back there. We just had an awful diarrhea episode too, so I understand. Cats are like people and are physically healthier when emotionaly happy. Keeping the stress levels (grooming, meds, etc.) very low will help some of the stomach problems I suspect.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

cgeiser

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
so your cats problems got better as she aged? That' s good news as my vet said it will only get worse.

tru

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by cgeiser

so your cats problems got better as she aged? That' s good news as my vet said it will only get worse.
Since your girl is still so young I think the vet is remiss in saying definitely which way her problem will go.

I think that her bowel problem may very well get better with a quality dry food diet and some time.

Have you posted pics of your little girl? I'd love to see some.

shellbell

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
My Atticus has Manx Syndrome and he is 2.5 years old now. He is doing well. It's particularly hard to know what a long term prognosis is, but it sounds like there is hope for your kitty.

I, too, was not familiar with the problems that manx kittens can have until Attiucs was a few weeks old. I noticed he was incontinent and was not pooping. He was bloated and walked with a gait. I had a GOOD vet that was willing to work with us.

I recently posted about the experience on another thread:

http://www.thecatsite.com/forums/sho...=manx+syndrome

Here is my post in the above thread, with some experiences and observations I have learned and had with Atti:

I have a two year old cat named Atticus. He too has Manx Syndrome. I have posted here off and on about him.

His mom was a Manx and she had a stump for a tail. Atticus has no stump or tail whatsoever. When he was little, newborn, I did not know that cats with no tail could have these problems. I noticed that he did not seem to be going to the bathroom, looked bloated, and started walking with a noticeable gait.

I took him to the vet when he was a few weeks old and started reading like mad. Atticus has two less vertabrae than a normal cat, which affects his ability to control the lower part of his body...including bowell and bladder. When he was young he was on all kinds of laxatives and things and finally the vet did an enema as he was so backed up. We were on pins and needles after the procedure, wondering what kind of functioning he would have. Luckily, he started going to the bathroom on his own. He was on laxatone after the procedure as well. He was also on wet food only during that difficult time as dry food can make constipation worse.

He is not on medications now and seems to take care of his bowell habits himself. He kind of goes often and is not always aware of what is going on back there. He is of course incontinent too. I converted a room in my house for him so that he can roam free in that space. I also let him out in the living room sometimes to play when he is not real messy. I have had no luck with diapers, but if you start them young, your kitty may adapt to that.

I wash him with a special shampoo that I used to get at the vet and now order cheaper online. It's non abrasive and has antimicrobial properties ... it's 2% Chlorhexiderm. It's helped with his redness and irritation a lot. Also it helps if the vet trims him from time to time as there is less hair back there to get messy. I need to take Atticus for this again soon.

ONE OTHER MAJOR thing I would caution about is to watch about bladder infections and UTIs. These cats are highly susceptible to these and periodic UAs are a good idea just to be sure that a UTI is not coming on. Also, esp if kitty is male, it would be a good idea for the vet to look at the urine specimen under a microscope for crystals. Atti has had a couple of UTIs but has been okay for some time now, since last fall. Another major issue I had is that Atti can't stomach Clavamox or any Penicillin kind of antibiotic, even the coated pills. He pucks it up. We finally had luck with Baytril and Zenequin.

Atticus has so much quality of life and always has. There was a time when he was younger, I wasn't sure I wouldn't have to make a hard decision to put him down, if he was unable to go to the bathroom. I came to the point where I didn't care if he was incontinent of bowell and bladder as long as he could somehow eliminate his waste and be okay (not in physical distress or decline). Don't get me wrong, there is a lot of cleaning to do, so I have learned to adapt.

One thing is you don't want to get in the habit of doing numerous enemas...I would always let the vet to any that were required. Too many of these can make the anal tone, etc even more lazy and he could lose what motility he has now.

I have a really good vet who worked with me and Atti and we took it one day at a time. I would be really happy to share what has worked and not or to talk to you and offer support. I looked online for support when this was all new to me.

Atticus is mostly a normal cat, he doesn't seem to know he is disabled. lol. He runs (hops) and jumps, etc. He does get these spasms in his back legs, but in a few seconds, it is over and he is up and going again. He can get these a few times a day, but so far he seems to recover quickly. THese do worry me, as I have not found a way to treat these. The vet recommended very small doses of Meticam a few times a week, but I am nervous to keep him on this (not known for being cat friendly in certain cases) especially when I am not sure it's helping.

My thing with Atti is the following: As long as he has quality of life I won't give up on him. I do not know what the future holds, but take it a day at a time. We all have different situations, financial resources, etc, and I understand that not everyone could do what I have done with my kitty. I think you are a special person with a HUGE heart to have taken in this sweet kitty. If it does ever get too much, the rescue groups are a good idea. But these cats can lead great lives with patience and perseverance.

Please message me anytime.

Shelley

Please message me anytime you need advice, etc. These cats can live good lives with caring and patient owners. I commend you for wanting to do the best for your kitty. I realize that not everything in the above post I copied and pasted may apply to your situation right now, but it's stuff to keep in mind. Atticus is on dry food now and does well. THe stool consistency varies from time to time and sometimes he does get dirrahea no matter what I feed him. He seems to do well on Iams Multicat dry food. When he was a kitten I gave him Kitten Chow or Iams Kitten food.

Oh ONE LAST THING: Find a good vet that will work with you. Suggesting you put down a kitten with the quality of life and ability your kitten seems to have is unacceptable. If this is the case, find another vet.

meowers

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Just wanted to agree that finding a good vet is going to be the key to sucess for you. My vet will call me on the weekend with lab results for Kitty and they never treat me like I'm overreacting. It can be expensive, but it's better to take them in to the vet just in case.

Kitty's control issues seem to come and go. I bet yours will too over time. As of now, we have only had one situation over maybe two months and no dripping pee that I've noticed
Try everything and see what works, all cats are different.

mlynn

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
That can be pretty common in Manx cats. Manx cat's have their own "syndrum"...commonly known as Manx syndrome which can affect movement, mobility, and bowl control. It has to do with their lack of a tail and the development of their spine. If they aren't bred carefully by an experienced breeder problems like this aren't uncommon in litters of manx.

I would suggest working with a good vet who is well aware of the problems that manx cats can have. He should be able to help you through. There is no reason your kitty can not live a full happy life...

zet

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi,
I had a stray manx cat hanging around my house that I did not know was pregnant. She had her kittens while I went away to school (university about 2 hours away). One of the kittens is fluffy and has a siamese pattern. She also is a manx. My parents told me that the kitten urinates all over itself and doesn't realize it. They also told me that she can't poop properly and it builds up. My dad would have to kind of squeeze it out and help her. When I came home for spring break I noticed she had a wierd bump on her back and even though I'm a poor college student I took her to the emergency room and they told me she had a cyst on her back and she would have died if I had waited any longer. I charged it to a carecredit credit card and had a hard time paying it back. I did it because I love animals and I have just become really attached to it. I had to go back to school for a couple of months and recently came back recently. My dad also loves animals and once again took care of her while I was gone. I have been taking care of her now that I'm back even though everyone tells me to give her away or put her down. She is a happy kitten and I really want to keep her but I currently live with my parents and my mom does not let me keep her inside. I need to give her her shots, spay her, deflea her and also find away for her not to smell and urinate all over things. I am so desprate for some extra cash to do all those things because I move into my own place soon and want to keep her inside. I don't know what to do. Should I just give her away or is there any way to find some assistance from some sort of organization? I have looked everywhere! I cry a lot about it and all I want to do is keep her. Is there anything?! My boyfriend tells me he's never seen anyone as attached to a pet as I am to her. I love her to death and am looking for some advice. You all seem to love your cats, so i'm looking to see if you all have some ideas, advice, etc.
I love and respect all of you for having the heart to take in a disabled cat and making that commitment.
Take care.
Zet- and Sandia ("Sandy")

addiebee

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Wow, that is soooo warm hearted of you. Someone who knows more about Manx cats should come along shortly.... but as I understand it, it is a genetic defect that occurs in these cats. Is she completely tail-less? Something about the nerve development in the spine prevents them from knowing they have to go. So I don't know what can be done to help her. And you.

maxcat08

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I don't know where you live...but if it were here...a major city....I would go to the Humane Society and ask if they know of any support groups that could help you. Possibly, the Vet would know of support groups too. That is where I would start.

It takes alot of money to keep a disabled animal comfortable. Money isn't easy to come by, I know that, but perhaps if you find a support group...maybe they would know someone who could perform some services, spaying, defleaing, etc for a low cost. Can you petsit to earn extra money, or dogwalk....anything to help her out.

I hope she has a warm place to stay outside. I think it's not humane to force a cat to stay outside...JMHO...can she not have a space in the house somewhere that can be converted to all tile and washable materials...your Dad seems to love her...can he persuade your Mom to give her a small space to call her own.

She knows that you love her and that is so commendable of you to love her and try to take care of her. Please try to keep her happy and comfortable. It's not her fault that she was born like that and it is just a genetic trait of some Manx, not all of them.

Best of luck!

mad manx aus

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I have just found out my adopted 4 year old Manx Male cat Jacki-Chan (JC) has crystal problems.
Can anyone reccomend a good dry procuct to feed him?
He has no symptoms of nerve issues (at this stage) that is common in Manx Cats due to the no tail with deformities from birth.
I have never expreienced him with no bladder control so they must grow out of it over time. He does however like to pee down drains (very odd but never question it).
I hope that people understand that buying/loving an animal has costs and they never end, it would be great if companies and the government could make a Pet Mecicare (government insurance) or make Private Cover more affordable. I have 3 cats - two with problems JC and an Egyptian Mau with anxiety issues.
Good luck to those with problems i do feel for you all i just hope you can keep the Manx cats in your life as they are a very affectionate breed.

catfix1

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Would you be interested in adopting an 8 1/2 week old orange tabby Manx rumpy with some bowel problems? She seems healthy otherwise and has been wormed and vaccinated, stool checked, etc.

baby the cat

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I convinced my husband we needed to rescue a poor "baby" kitten from the shelter, scheduled to be put down the next day. We found out she was Manx. She had no tail and hopped like a bunny. She was super tiny, so named her Baby Cat.

A few weeks later, she had an awful smell in her mouth, had to get a few teeth removed. A few weeks after that, she had a UTI. A few months later another. Then another tooth had to be pulled, and the cycle went on and on.

We noticed occasional leaking, just a drop or two and usually discolered, so we knew right away it was another UTI.

12 years later, she only has one of the big teeth left. All else are gone. She is leaking more often, and when relaxed lets her bladder fully let go.

She is the best cat. Hugs my neck tight while nudging my nose. Sleeps on my bed (on a waterproof blanket). She cuddles anytime she can get to my lap. She knew I was pregnant with each of my kids before I did, nuzzling my belly.

We are finding bigger puddles of urine everywhere. Our couches smell of it, every blanket she lays on smells of it. I feel bad for her and don't know what to do. We bought diapers today, we tried one and she just froze, for hours. It was like a cat on a leash.

She has been to doc several times and no UTI this time. She lost her final tooth. However, her quality of life seems great. She tries to hop around and runs. She jumps and loves on me. She plays with me and "bites" me when I walk by to get my attention (btw: gross because it is only her gums chomping on me).

Tonight, the diaper didn't stay on very long, and she ended up in a large cage we had. So sad, she cries from time to time, even though I put her on the night stand next to my bed.

Vet wants to do test that will cost lots, to tell me she has Manx syndrome. Duh. I already figured that.

Anyone have any suggestions at all?? Please. I don't want her to live in a cage, and it isn't her time yet. :(

carocats

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Check out Fancy Pants 4 Cats - they make custom diapers and diaper covers for kitties that are not only cute but help keep diapers on.  Most cats do get used to them after a while.  Best to get the smallest size you can find - I got the ones for very small dogs and they worked well for a 17-yr-old kitty I had that was paralyzed in all four legs towards the end of her life, but obviously she didn't move around much so they stayed on fairly easily.  When I ran out of small ones once and had to use a bigger diaper I made it snugger around the waistline by sticking the tapes on further over.  Although your kitty may not have a UTI, at age 12 her kidneys may not be 100% (early renal failure) or she may have crystals or stones (X-rays may be required to diagnose, fluids, medication and/or a dietary change may be necessary to treat).  Urinating more can also be due to thyroid problems and/or heart problems or diabetes.  The tests your vet wants to do probably aren't to tell you she is manx, but to rule in or out one or more of these things that can be going on with an older kitty. Blood sugar can be regulated by using a $10 or less meter from Walmart, and Walmart's test strips are the least expensive, too.  Insulin is not cheap but not really expensive - most kitties need only a small dose.  Feeding an all-wet diet rather than dry food can actually cure diabetes in some cats.  We had a 19-yr-old cat with heart failure who had another 7 or 8 months with medication and stopped urinating all over once on it.  Same goes for more than one older diabetic kitty - once regulated on insulin and or on canned food only, water intake goes down so urination decreases also.  As a kitty gets older you may not be able to solve all problems but you can often minimize their overall effects.  Perhaps your kitty needs a bigger, wider litter box - big enough to easily turn around in and with low enough sides to easily get in and out of.  Have you changed the type of litter recently?  Some kitties dislike the scented type and some aren't keen on the texture of some types of litter.  Her urination problems may not necessarily be manx-related, just age-related.  Hope there's something here that helps - you obviously love her - don't give up on her yet!