Please Help. Labored breathing, vet says its normal ( vids )

Matt79

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I don't know what to do. absolute sweetheart but is breathing weird..

been to two vets and they both say this is normal... allergies, seasons , etc...

no... this happens every day.. this is not normal.. please help me

Jcatbird

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Hey. I’m sorry you are worried. Sometimes when we take our cats to the vet they don’t do what we see them do at home so the vet doesn’t get a clear picture of what is going on. If you can take video with you to the vet and just be insistent about your concerns it might help. If you still don’t get an answer that eases your mind, go to a third vet.
For now, check to make sure she isn’t getting into anything she shouldn't like munching on a houseplant. Don’t expose her to things like household cleaners. Clorox and many things we use to mop or clean with can affect them.
I do have one kitty with allergies. During allergy season he has some problems but most of the year he is fine. I keep him away from any strong smells. No household sprays or highly scented things. I am hoping your kitty is better now.

Maria Bayote

Mama of 4 Cats, 4 Dogs , 2 Budgies & 2 Humans
Top Cat
Purraise
Can you attach the video? My Bourbon was breathing weird last night and I want to see if its the same.

This morning she looks and acts normal.

Jcatbird

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I am not a vet but if my cat was doing that I would be concerned. Find another vet and take this video with you. A second thought, any tummy troubles? Did the vet check the tummy, guy, kidneys etc. ? Did the vet see what we are seeing here? If they didn’t then I would send them the video. Most vets now will look at texts and emails. Please keep us posted about how things are going. Hoping it is something that passes but be insistent that kitty gets checked thoroughly.

pixeldexter

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
How old is Misty? Has she been diagnosed with a heart murmur? At around 13 years old I lost my big boy Dexter due to Congestive Heart Failure. He had fluid building up around his organs and his lungs which made it nearly impossible to breathe. One treatment was to drain the fluid around the lungs and heart. :(

Leomc123

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I watched a video on vet shed, a cat had similar breathing issues due to his stomach was pushed up into the lung area making it difficult to breathe. It could be health related from birth or from injury hit by a car or kicked in the stomach area. Take him to the vet for a x ray it will show if his organs are in correct place. He may need surgery.

PushPurrCatPaws

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
It is difficult for me to believe that TWO Vets called her breathing normal! A blind person would see and hear that is NOT normal. That little lady has some kind of problem. Hope you can find her some help somewhere.
I agree.

This poor kitty has been on my mind all night.

M Matt79 - where do you live? Are you able to get her to an emergency vet as soon as possible? The kitty needs immediate care in an ER, in my view.
:vibes::vibes:

Antonio65

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
In my humble opinion that poor cat has fluid in her chest.
She is breathing exactly like my poor Tom did, and he had his chest filled with fluids. I took him to the ER clinic and they drained around 300 ml of fluids.

The only two things that come to my mind and that can cause this are a cardiomyopathy or a FIV. My Tom had FIP.

You need to go a ER vet as soon as possible, your Misty is feeling like she's drowning!

Last edited:

RangersMom

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I dont know WHAT kind of vet would say that was allergies, or say this was normal. A cat shouldnt be gasping for breath like this.
Take it to another vet for xrays and a checkup if you haven't already. Xrays shouldnt cost "that" much, probably $100 or so. Something is definitely wrong.