Please help! Kittens with intestines on the outside after 1 day of life and young mother trying to detach!

WiscoLady

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hello, and please guidance is needed. Very young ferral mother. 4 newborn, 1 day old kittens. 3 still attached to each other... the one the mother detached now has a inch or so of intestines on it's outside! I've had very little kitty experience and am freaking out! Should I snip apart the other kittens with as much sanitation as I am able? She keeps trying to move them! I have them in a box with clean towels, food water.... inside a large dog kennel.... closed mother with babies inside. Don't know what to do and can not afford vet help.

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Hello, and please guidance is needed. Very young ferral mother. 4 newborn, 1 day old kittens. 3 still attached to each other... the one the mother detached now has a inch or so of intestines on it's outside! I've had very little kitty experience and am freaking out! Should I snip apart the other kittens with as much sanitation as I am able? She keeps trying to move them! I have them in a box with clean towels, food water.... inside a large dog kennel.... closed mother with babies inside. Don't know what to do and can not afford vet help.
Re the 3 tangled together. Yes, do try to untangle them. snip apart, with your nails of so is. Clean, but you dont need to be completely sterile; mommas teeth arent sterile. As long as you manage not to wound the kittens, its OK.
Im sure you will manage! Make a pray, take a deep breath, and in Gods name, do it! Be sure you have place aplenty, and good light.
The variation is; you do it with momma present, if she allows you. Or take the kittens aside for a moment.... Do what is suitable. Possibly, wrap momma in a sack, head and all, and let someone hold her.

The kitten with intestines out. Are you sure its intestines and not a bit of the cord?
IF its intestines, I fear there isnt much to do.
A skilled vet could probably do something...

A pts is surely the mest humane as it is.

catsknowme

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yes, definitely separate the tinies! You can try to keep the injured kitten more comfortable by applying a first aid wrap. You can appeal online using a Paypal account to get funds for a vet check. Otherwise, try to find a kindhearted farmer, horseshoer or cowboy to do what is most humane - they will know best on what to do.

Last edited:

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Are the kittens’ umbilical cords detached now?

A vet may be able to put the intestines back inside the injured kitten, but kitten would require antibiotics. A bandage would be placed over the wound. Ask for a payment plan. Otherwise, how is this kitten doing?

I imagine the kittens came so quickly that this poor young mom had no time to clean up each kitten properly, then accidentally tore the one.

WiscoLady WiscoLady