Please help, kitten's pupils are different sizes.

ScaryGoblin

TCS Member
Thread starter
Kitten
Joined
Jul 17, 2022
Messages
17
Purraise
11
Hello everyone. I am desperate for help and advice. My husband and I have a 3 month old kitten and out of nowhere today, we looked at him and realized one of his pupils is fully dilated and the other is not. We panicked and called our vet and asked if this was an emergency and if we should go to urgent care.

She said if he's showing no other symptoms then it's okay to wait until in the morning tomorrow when she can see him and examine him. It's currently 3 pm where I am and his appointment won't be until 8 am so he will not be able to be seen for over 12 hours. I don't know if this is dangerous or not.

One of his eyes is not reactive to light either. It is reactive slightly but not how it should be. We don't believe he's had any trauma so we don't think he's hit his head or had any physical injury so I'm very panicked thinking it's a brain bleed or brain tumor or something. I feel like it's not a good idea to make him wait until tomorrow to be seen but my husband tells me to listen to the vet and we'll just closely monitor him the rest of the day and night.

So far he doesn't have any balance issues or any other symptoms at all. Has this happened to anyone else? I am so close to freaking out and rushing him to emergency. I'm just so worried about him. He's acting perfectly normal otherwise.

Also, to add, we put him in his playpen before we went to PetSmart today and his eyes were normal, then 2 hours later we come back home and notice his pupils are like this now. So that makes me believe it's a brain injury. There's a chance he could have been hit in the eye by his cat sister because we let him out to play after we got home and a few minutes later we noticed the eyes. But I'm not sure.

Please help I could really use advice. I don't know if I should take him to emergency today or just monitor him and wait till his vet can see him in the morning
 

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Joined
Jun 13, 2018
Messages
17,701
Purraise
24,173
Location
Central FL (Born in OH)
Hi. I am so sorry for what is going on. But I do think it is OK to wait until tomorrow since he is not exhibiting any other negative signs. If his condition changes, then that is a different story. I would just monitor him.

Keep us posted, please.
 
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
  • #3

ScaryGoblin

TCS Member
Thread starter
Kitten
Joined
Jul 17, 2022
Messages
17
Purraise
11
Hi. I am so sorry for what is going on. But I do think it is OK to wait until tomorrow since he is not exhibiting any other negative signs. If his condition changes, then that is a different story. I would just monitor him.

Keep us posted, please.
Thank you for your response! I'm just so scared. I hear so many horror stories of pets dying overnight because of brain injuries and I just don't know what to do. It could be nothing serious or it could be life-threatening. I don't know if I should trust the vet or just rush him to emergency because I'm in huge panic mode right now. I just don't know how this could have happened. My first instinct is to take him to emergency but I don't know
 

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Joined
Jun 13, 2018
Messages
17,701
Purraise
24,173
Location
Central FL (Born in OH)
You have got to go with your gut and peace of mind. I only suggested to wait and observe him because he is not demonstrating any other issues as yet. In my layperson's mind, if there is a brain injury, it would show itself with other symptoms - and I would think sooner rather than later. But take him to an ER by all means if that can help any in confirming or disputing an issue.
 
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
  • #5

ScaryGoblin

TCS Member
Thread starter
Kitten
Joined
Jul 17, 2022
Messages
17
Purraise
11
You have got to go with your gut and peace of mind. I only suggested to wait and observe him because he is not demonstrating any other issues as yet. In my layperson's mind, if there is a brain injury, it would show itself with other symptoms - and I would think sooner rather than later. But take him to an ER by all means if that can help any in confirming or disputing an issue.
Yes, absolutely. If something very serious is going on I would imagine more signs would show up and pretty fast. I'm still observing him right now and will definitely not be going to sleep tonight lol if I notice something is even slightly off about him I am rushing to emergency. I still may go I haven't decided yet. But thank you so much for the advice I really appreciate it
 
Top