PLEASE HELP!! kittens born

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

jasminecat

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Very upsetting, last night, Grace decided she didn't want the baby anyomore

Poor thing i heard it crying went to check it and saw it on the other side of the box. I put it to the mother, and she picked it up and tossed it away from her again

Thats it now, sole responsibility of this kitten is on me, and it just so weak and frail, really feels like every minute counts.
To make matters worse, this morning a (now former friend) told me i should put it to sleep, saying surgery is too expensive and not worth it etc. I told her there is NO WAY. This little kitten is so tiny, but it's alive and it's fighting, it has a will to live despite all odds being against it.
Am feeling very upset and emotinal today, i know Grace is only doing what instinct tells her to do, but it's so heartbreaking

lynx

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
My concern was growing as your posts continued without resolution about the pregnancy. Now that they are here my heart is with you even more. Try not to be too hard on your friend, she probably doesn't understand how important your kitties are to you.

salemsmith

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
My heart goes out to you hun. I had problems with my little Hobo too. My friends all said "Just put her out of her mysery..." But I didn't want to loose her. Trust me, you'll find a way and if your friends are truely your friends, they'll help you out as best they can (even if they don't agree with what you are doing).

You have my full support hun and if you EVER need someone to talk to just PM me, or e mauil me at [email protected] ok?

*lots of love and hugs*

~ Salem

hissy

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
here is something you can do, I call it my pouch potato sack. It works really well with tiny compromised kittens.

Take an empty pillow case- start folding over the open ends down-ward, make it about half the length it was. Take a section of soft cotton rope,lay it under the fold and then drape the rope over you shoulder and around your neck. Mark it where it lies right next to your heart- then cut the rope to that length.

Take it off and sew a quick running stitch to secure the rope underneath the fold (you should have a soft purse. Take some washclothes or soft rags and roll them up and place them in the bottom of the pouch. Lay the kitten down on top of the soft bed, place the pouch over your shoulder, and then take a long sleeved loose shirt and button her up inside you. Your body heat will warm her, and your heartbeat will help to calm her.

Now on the realistic side of things, your friend is correct the surgery for this repair is very steep. The kitten is going to need constant care and monitoring. You will need to know how to do tube feedings and it would be a good idea for you to ask your vet if he will show you how to give subcutaneous fluids as well. Because as the kitten grows, she may need the extra fluid. You have to feed her every two hours, you cannot miss not with her being so compromised.

If you do not have the time, the patience or the funds for this type of kitten and your vet agrees, then you should put her down. Is she is pain? Probably not, but she in uncomfortable, and you will have to provide her with comfort, take over helping her have bowel movements and provide for her around the clock. It is a daunting task, and I may be wrong, but I do not think anyone would judge you harshly if you decided to end her life peacefully. She is not out of the woods yet- she is more prone to bacterial infections then a normal kitten and she won't have the advantage of moms antibodies- she could just fail on you and fade away.

It is your choice, and again, no one would fault you if you decided to have her euthanized, and they would applaud you if you decided to keep her. You may do everything in your power to save her, and it may not be enough. If you can understand the risks to you and her then perhaps you can make a sound judgement. No one should tell you what to do, but you should know what you are in for. I hope this has not upset you.

Best of luck whatever you decide.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

jasminecat

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Thanks to eveyone who has lent support and advice in this difficult time.
The little kitten passed away last night. I had tried my best with him but from the start it seemed things weren't on his side. It was heartbreaking watching him being rejected by his mother, and although some may think i should have put him to sleep earlier, i felt i had to keep trying with him till the end.
But it wasn't meant to be and at least now his suffering is over. It breaks my heart, and watching the other two i can't help but think there should have been three.

God bless you little one, i know you're in a better place now.

hissy

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I am very sorry you lost this little one. I do not know of a good success story for kittens born with a cleft palate. The odds are to far set against them. You tried your best and no one can fault you for that.