Please Help, Kitten Won't Eat.

Korinmewmew

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Hello,

Hopefully you all can help me. Since yesterday my 8 week old kitten won't eat her food. Two days ago she was eating normally she would ask me for food about every 4 hours or so. I tried going back to her old food to see if maybe she got bored of her favorite food but no she would not eat that also.

When I first got her they were giving her the canned fancy feast for kittens. I switched her from that to Blue buffalo canned kitten food. She loved it, but now she won't eat.

She seems fine, and very playful. I don't know what to do. Please help.

orange&white

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
You'll need to get some food into her if she is eating less than 1/2 of what she normally eats in a 24-hour period. If she isn't eating anything, it is more urgent. You may need to go get some oral syringes from a pharmacy and start forcing her to take a little bit of watered-down canned food every couple of hours.

If you can't get food into her, she will need to go to the vet.

Right now, try offering her anything you have in the house that you think might tempt her: canned tuna, soft scrambled eggs, boiled chicken and rice. Meat-only baby food is good, but unless you have a baby you probably don't have that "on hand".

Is she pooping? If she is stopped up, that would make her not want to eat. Is it possible that she swallowed something like a string from a toy?

daisyd

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Try boiled chicken and a bit of rice (although she may just eat the chicken ) this should settle her stomach if she is not well. Try sitting by her bowl and giving giving her a bit of chicken by hand so she knows it's nice and safe . They have very sensitive tummys at this age. Try not to switch kitten food too often either as that can make them unwell too . Is she still drinking water ?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Korinmewmew

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
She is pooping. I saw her eat a small feather, she ate it before I had a chance to take it away from her.

Can I give her adult cat tuna? What about dry food?

Korinmewmew

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Try boiled chicken and a bit of rice (although she may just eat the chicken ) this should settle her stomach if she is not well. Try sitting by her bowl and giving giving her a bit of chicken by hand so she knows it's nice and safe . They have very sensitive tummys at this age. Try not to switch kitten food too often either as that can make them unwell too . Is she still drinking water ?
Yes, she is drinking water. I will try to give her the boiled chicken, with rice.

daisyd

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
is she eat the feather just before she stopped eating ? I personally wouldn't feed tuna or switch to dry food at this stage especially if she has an upset stomach . If you think eating a feather did anything take her to the vet for a check up !

Korinmewmew

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I made her the boiled chicken, she ate about a tablespoon. I will freed her again in 2 hours.

orange&white

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yes, if she'll eat a tablespoon of boiled chicken every couple of hours then that's good. If she stops eating that, I would offer her tuna or kibble or anything she will eat.

Continue to offer her the canned kitten food as well. You want her back on nutritionally balanced food as soon as she is feeling better.

catlover1028

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I remember one of my cats stopped eating. I rescued her and her sister at 2 months, but at 10 months she stopped eating. But her sister and my 7 year old cat were still eating. I tried to feed her all these foods like chicken and salmon, but no reaction. One day I was washing her bowl and I put her food on a paper plate. As soon as I poured her food she wolfed it down. Then it hit me:whisker fatigue. She was a tiny kitten when I bought her food bowl and now she still is smaller than an average adult cat but she grew. Your cat might find eating out of a bowl uncomfortable for her whiskers. So maybe get her a cute little plate to eat off of. I hope this helps!