Please help just really curious (:

Brianna1313

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
so I was given my baby about 2/3 years ago from a roommate who just didn’t want to take care of her. He told me she was a special breed but never specified what. The odd thing I can’t put my finger on is she’s a much smaller type of cat, she’s full grown and only weighs like 5 pounds and is about a foot long (I’ve never measured her)
Also her patterns make me wonder if she’s any part Bengal cat. So if anyone could please take a look at her and help I’d appreciate it (:!! I tried to add as many helpful pictures as I could! Sorry for the one with her incision,it’s the only tummy picture I had to show it’s spotted.

Attachments

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi. She sure is cute!!! In my unprofessional opinion she looks like a domestic shorthaired tabby with a mackerel pattern. Mackerel tabbies have striped rings around their tail and legs, a "necklace" of stripes on the front of their chests and bands of solid or broken stripes running down the sides of their bodies. They will have a darker color in spots running in two lines across their tummies (called "vest buttons"). A Bengal's pattern tends to be more random in nature, than that of a tabby - and they usually are larger in size than she is.

Unless her previous owner has pedigree papers denoting a specific breed, the odds are she is a DSH tabby. Regardless, she is adorable!!!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Brianna1313

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thank you so much!! I started to look at some pictures of that breed and I can definitely see that! Her size always threw me off when it came to thinking about her being any part Bengal 😂 the person who I previously gotten her from didn’t know much about cats and I could see them meaning special as in the mackerel pattern ^.^
I appreciate you’re response so much. ❤

Brianna1313

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise

white shadow

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Hi Brianna.

While we wait for one of the experts to help out, are you aware there's something 'going on with' her left eye? Did you notice the 'squinty' appearance?

lutece

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
She's a lovely cat!

Your cat appears to be a brown tabby domestic shorthair. You could describe her tabby pattern as either spotted, or "broken mackerel" (mackerel stripes broken up into spots).

Spots on a cat often make people wonder if the cat is related to a "spotted breed" such as the Bengal. However, spotted / mackerel tabby is simply a tabby pattern, and doesn't indicate ancestry from any specific breed. I'm not seeing a strong resemblance in these pictures to either Bengal or Genetta (an experimental breed combining Munchkin, Savannah and Bengal). Most cats are not any particular breed.

There's nothing wrong with being a gorgeous domestic shorthair, though! Domestic shorthairs are great cats in their own right.

I'll also echo white shadow white shadow 's concern, is her eye OK?

Brianna1313

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi Brianna.

While we wait for one of the experts to help out, are you aware there's something 'going on with' her left eye? Did you notice the 'squinty' appearance?
Yes! She has eye drops we put in regularly from the vet.
Ever sense she was given to me by an old friend, about two years ago, she’s had issues with it. We’ve taken her in twice, once when she was really young and they gave her antibiotics and a special eye cream, and told us she had an upper respiratory infection, and then the second time a few months ago and they told us to buy an eye gel from the pet store; to treat her as needed. But if you have any advice I’d be very open to hearing! 🙏🏼❤

Brianna1313

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I’ve thought about taking her in again and maybe asking about a more extensive look at it. I’ve read online about cat herpes but she normally never has any discharge or anything of that sort.