Please Help!! Introducing my (F) cat to my girlfiend's two (FF) cats

Clemdad2020

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Good morning everyone,

I have had 1 female 7yo cat, Clementine, for the past 6 years. We've been in different living situations, sometimes other cats were involved. Basically, she does not get along well with other cats. It's also worth noting that Clementine is SUPER attached to me. Anywhere I go in the house, she must follow and whenever I come home the meowing starts and she wont leave my side. My girlfriend has her 2 female cats around 6yo Maia and 7yo Nena. They get along pretty well with each other, Maia is the dominant, Nena is the submissive. They are both VERY sweet cats. They've lived with each other for about 5 years now in 3 different living situations, but always got along with each other. Me and my GF just moved into a brand new apartment 2 weeks ago and tried to plan for the cats introduction. We knew that Clem would be the problem cat in this introduction. We pre-emptively installed 3 Felloway sprays; 1 in both bedrooms and 1 in the living room. We had them separated, for a couple of days and finally when we introduced them, it seemed to go well. A little hissing, no swiping. The second night we even thought we were doing great because all the cats slept in the same bed with us.

Things started to deteriorate a few days into the introduction though when Maia began growling at Clem and Clem began attacking her viciously. I had grabbed Clementine by the scruff, scolded her, and put her in the bathroom as a punishment for the attack. This did not have any affect as the attacks continued. I scolded her a few more times but then stopped when I noticed it had no affect. I moved from scolding her to making a loud whistling noise to stop the attack. 2 weeks later and the attacking is getting worse. The scolding and the whistling is not working. Maia now has a scratch close to her eye. I feel so horrible for how they all must feel. I'm VERY worried that we did everything wrong with this, and that the damage is done and this is just an irreparable situation. They're all great cats in their own right, but all together its like they're not themselves. Nena refuses to come out of hiding in the closet, and Clementine and Maia are fighting viciously every day.

I'm not sure where to go from here, if anyone can PLEASE give us some direction in how to move forward with this it would be MUCH appreciated. Also if there are any pertinent details I may be leaving out, please let me know. We are worried for our cats health and safety. I would like to keep drugging clementine with Xanex as an absolute LAST resort.

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi. These cats are all older and usually older cats require a lot more time to adapt to new living places, not to mention to new cats. I would recommend you start over with introductions and take it as slow as is needed. You can only go as fast in an introduction process as the slowest adapting cat can handle.

Here are some TCS articles to help you set up an introduction plan. In your case, the cats need to start out with a safe space of their own, since all are new to the home - hopefully you have a couple of bedrooms you can start with (one for your cat, and another for your GF's cats).
How To Fix An Unsuccessful Cat Introduction – Cat Articles
How To Successfully Introduce Cats: The Ultimate Guide – Cat Articles
Introducing Cats To Cats – Cat Articles
How To Safely Break Up A Cat Fight – Cat Articles
Stress in Cats – The Ultimate Guide – Cat Articles

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Clemdad2020

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thank you for the great advice, yes we do have 2 bedrooms to keep them separated with. How long do you recommend keeping them separated until we re-introduce them??

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
You will probably have a 'cooling off' period just to get them settled down before you start the introduction process - I think you will be able to determine when the time is right based on their demeanor/behavior. When you read the introduction article, there are steps to go through - and you really need to successfully accomplish each step before you move on. With cats the age of yours, it could honestly take several weeks, perhaps even months to get through the entire process.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Clemdad2020

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thank you very much FeebysOwner for all your info and resources...

We need to get to work on this ASAP...